Knife vs Gun

This is a discussion on Knife vs Gun within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A knife wielding aggressor doesn't have to know what he is doing to kill you, he only has to connect with the blade in the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knife vs Gun

A knife wielding aggressor doesn't have to know what he is doing to kill you, he only has to connect with the blade in the right places and you are in a world of hurt, either immediately or later.

Doesn't matter if you live long enough to win the battle, you can lose the war hours or days later from the damage incurred before you came out on top at the scene at that moment.

Not something to look forward to at the least of it, to be sure. You better have some very good H2H skills. I train others in unarmed against a knife, and you better protect the bodies core from penetration at all costs.
    Good stuff Brownie!

The attacker holding his knife behind his back only demonstrates the fact that you will not always see the attack coming. The officer could have just arrived on the scene and the assailant had their hands behind their back and the attacker attacks without warning.

Actually, I think that the attacker was a bit on the slow side when delivering his attacks in this video. We are actually in the process of working a similar illustration in our next video using a timeline demonstrating various directions of movements in response to a knife attack or an attacker who is has you at gunpoint. However, we do have a short video clip illustrating the same point, in that you are probably not going to have time to draw your gun. I am simply standing there with a knife (I am working on one where you donít see the knife because people have been saying that when they see the knife they would draw) and I attack at various intervals. Point being, you wonít always see the attack coming, and that you probably wonít have time to even THINK about drawing your gun!!! You can check out our little clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIp-LIV1xNI I am cutting a PVC pipe in order for you to be able to see that I am actually cutting something and not just the air which could be argued that I am not actually covering the entire distance.

Now, the point of our clip is that the gun is NOT the solution! However, a lot of people who carry guns concealed legally believe their gun is the solution. I do not feel that most firearms training prepares people for situations such as this. How could firearms training prepare you when drawing your gun is not the answer?! Unfortunately, a lot of firearms instructors do not show you this part of the training because they donít possess the ability to deal with this situation without a gun. I feel in a sense they are cheating you out of very valuable information that you need to know about a confrontation. That is, going straight for your gun is probably not going to keep you alive in a confrontation. And, that going for your gun may very well not be an option for you in a confrontation.

In all honesty your only chance of surviving the situation is responding FIRST with unarmed combatives and then possibly draw your gun. You must know the attackerís cues, because if you notice them, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Now, backpedaling can be a good thing if you move back at 45 degrees at the right time. Moving straight back does create distance, but it just doesnít get you off the line of attack. Moving laterally does not get you off the line of attack quickly enough and create enough distance quickly to be safe as does moving back at 45 degrees.

You ARE going to get cut! You have to understand that no matter how good you are, that you are going to get cut but you must keep going in the fight in order to survive!
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ITC View Post
    You can check out our little clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIp-LIV1xNI I am cutting a PVC pipe in order for you to be able to see that I am actually cutting something and not just the air which could be argued that I am not actually covering the entire distance.

Now, the point of our clip is that the gun is NOT the solution! However, a lot of people who carry guns concealed legally believe their gun is the solution. I do not feel that most firearms training prepares people for situations such as this. How could firearms training prepare you when drawing your gun is not the answer?! Unfortunately, a lot of firearms instructors do not show you this part of the training because they donít possess the ability to deal with this situation without a gun. I feel in a sense they are cheating you out of very valuable information that you need to know about a confrontation. That is, going straight for your gun is probably not going to keep you alive in a confrontation. And, that going for your gun may very well not be an option for you in a confrontation.

In all honesty your only chance of surviving the situation is responding FIRST with unarmed combatives and then possibly draw your gun. You must know the attackerís cues, because if you notice them, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Now, backpedaling can be a good thing if you move back at 45 degrees at the right time. Moving straight back does create distance, but it just doesnít get you off the line of attack. Moving laterally does not get you off the line of attack quickly enough and create enough distance quickly to be safe as does moving back at 45 degrees.

You ARE going to get cut! You have to understand that no matter how good you are, that you are going to get cut but you must keep going in the fight in order to survive!
    Thanks for sharing the video!

I agree with you somewhat on the issue that instructors do not teach how to deal with these type of situations. Our group focuses on progressive skills meaning, learn the fundamentals of shooting (stance, trigger control, sight picture etc) then progress to more advance skills such as drawing from holster, speed reloads and reactionary shooting on the move. In these two levels we throw enough at the student that conceptually they realize that living in condition yellow is important but do not focus on actually dealing with close quarter attacks. Instead we offer a knife counter knife class were you might get to play with a training gun to show the points you are making in your clip.

My belief is (as mentioned above) to live in condition yellow and then hopefully will know when an attack might be coming to be prepared. Of course you and I know this can not always be the case but best to play the odds.

Any ways I think itís important if you are a firearm instructor to a) incorporate the training into your course line up or b) offer an additional class which focuses on close quarter attacks. While on this thought I feel that handgun disarming and retention should also be taught. Coupling these together gives one a good toolbox of defensive skills. But from teaching these skills for the past 8 years I know that most students truly believe that a beginner class is all they need. My mentor has been teaching since (roughly) 1960 and time after time has found this to be very true, 95% of students feel the firearm at the basic level is all they need to have so that they are safe. I am being generous now that I think of it with 95%, more like 98% feel they can draw and fire on any knife attack and vaporize Mr./Mrs. Scumbag.

I think this video you shared should be passed around to as many people as possible to show them reality that gets even worst with a night time attack.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

But from teaching these skills for the past 8 years I know that most students truly believe that a beginner class is all they need. My mentor has been teaching since (roughly) 1960 and time after time has found this to be very true, 95% of students feel the firearm at the basic level is all they need to have so that they are safe. I am being generous now that I think of it with 95%, more like 98% feel they can draw and fire on any knife attack and vaporize Mr./Mrs. Scumbag.
    Kevin,

I know that you are pretty much on the money about people not thinking that they need more training or any training. A lot of people in our Ohio CCW courses tend to think that is all they need. We ALWAYS tell them that if they THINK they are ready for a life threatening situation after they leave here and get their permit, well, they are sadly mistaken!

I too had this misconception even years after carrying concealed. And, I have been active a number of years (A LOT!) in a combat martial arts system. The more I train and take the time to TRULY examine the FIGHT aspect of things, I realize what CAN AND CANNOT be done REALISTICALLY. Not what someone "says" can be done, but what can actually be accomplished and what is bull!!!

Please, feel free to pass the video around as much as all of you want! We are constantly talking to people who THINK that their skills are far better than what they actually are. So, this is something that SHOULD humble most of us. Especially those who RELY on their gun to resolve the situation.

To take it one more step, if you were to try and execute some of the common two handed shooting stances at 10 feet or less, you are VERY likely to be cut up on BOTH arms and not able to operate your gun!!! This is what some of our research has been showing us when we review it.

We teach unarmed combatives integrated with drawing your gun IF that is the thing to do. Which is the way it should be done in my humble opinion. That is what our close quarters combatives advanced pistol fighting course is all about.

I agree with the night time thing! We are working on that as well in this next video if time permits. People, things get REALLY ugly the more you get into the REALITY of things. And then to ad the overall sensory impairment that takes place in lowlighting conditions... you had better have a MUCH better plan than drawing your gun! Because if that is all you have, then you are probably going to get seriously injured or even killed!!!

For all of you who THINK that you can survive a situation, a real life situation, PLEASE take a look at this video. This is just how fast stuff can REALLY go down. The question is... Will YOU survive with or without any prior (traditional) firearms training?
    Brian K. LaMaster

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@ITC View Post
    Kevin,

I know that you are pretty much on the money about people not thinking that they need more training or any training. A lot of people in our Ohio CCW courses tend to think that is all they need. We ALWAYS tell them that if they THINK they are ready for a life threatening situation after they leave here and get their permit, well, they are sadly mistaken!

I too had this misconception even years after carrying concealed. And, I have been active a number of years (A LOT!) in a combat martial arts system. The more I train and take the time to TRULY examine the FIGHT aspect of things, I realize what CAN AND CANNOT be done REALISTICALLY. Not what someone "says" can be done, but what can actually be accomplished and what is bull!!!

Please, feel free to pass the video around as much as all of you want! We are constantly talking to people who THINK that their skills are far better than what they actually are. So, this is something that SHOULD humble most of us. Especially those who RELY on their gun to resolve the situation.

To take it one more step, if you were to try and execute some of the common two handed shooting stances at 10 feet or less, you are VERY likely to be cut up on BOTH arms and not able to operate your gun!!! This is what some of our research has been showing us when we review it.

We teach unarmed combatives integrated with drawing your gun IF that is the thing to do. Which is the way it should be done in my humble opinion. That is what our close quarters combatives advanced pistol fighting course is all about.

I agree with the night time thing! We are working on that as well in this next video if time permits. People, things get REALLY ugly the more you get into the REALITY of things. And then to ad the overall sensory impairment that takes place in lowlighting conditions... you had better have a MUCH better plan than drawing your gun! Because if that is all you have, then you are probably going to get seriously injured or even killed!!!

For all of you who THINK that you can survive a situation, a real life situation, PLEASE take a look at this video. This is just how fast stuff can REALLY go down. The question is... Will YOU survive with or without any prior (traditional) firearms training?
    We simulated an attack which as you know can not be fully simulated if a) you know the attack is coming and it is coming from 21í which is bogus beings that in the majority of cases the attack comes at arms length b) the attacker telegraphs the attack. In any event I played the good guy who as shown did not get my gun into a firing position and even if I did more likely then not would have been cut.

On a side note, I visited your site and can see your group has great classes for your clientele. There are not many group sites I have been to that offer a full array of tactics which include handgun retention/disarming.

Our site is http://www.jimjacobe.com
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    Brian,

The video should be quite clear for everyone to understand that the gun is not the correct solution to a H2H problem based on time and distances.

ITFTS also offers the H2H, stick, defensive knife [ unarmed against a knifeer ], and pistol/revolver disarms. Some of the H2H has been incorporated into the defensive knife as it melds extemely well with the blade skills as I've picked up from Keating and Janich over the years.

Keep putting vids like this up and people will eventually understand there's a time and place to everything, and no one tool is going to be the best solution to problems presented on the streets in the real world.

9 years of blade training, 3 years of training for the S+W Academy as their adjunct defensive edged weapons instructor --- and at 5 and 7 feet, I won't think about going for a tool in that scenario, it's got to be "protect the core" and try to create time and distance to get to a tool with well practiced H2H/defensive knife skills, or---------------

YOU LOSE.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; October 28th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Brownie (and all readers), I can only HOPE that people get the message but some people don't really get it unless they experience it. Which is what we encourage it in a TRAINING environment and NOT when it is too late such as in a life threatening situation. People who have trained REALISTICALY are the ones who are most likely to realize what real dangers exists in a fight.

We will always try to get people to realize the truth about their training and WHY it is important to not limit yourself to rely on one tool. No, there is not one tool that the is answer for everything! The answer is to train for as much as you possibly can and don't put all of your eggs in one basket which is what a lot of firearms students do. Just because you shoot someone does not mean they will fall down!!! In fact, I think that it is somewhat rare that when you shoot someone they are going to just fall down and die.

I would say that mindset is most important because regardless of your skillset, if you don't have the mindset to keep going NO MATTER WHAT, then nothing else matters!!!

at 5 and 7 feet, I won't think about going for a tool in that scenario, it's got to be "protect the core" and try to create time and distance to get to a tool with well practiced H2H/defensive knife skills, or---------------

YOU LOSE.
    I HOPE that people TRULY understand this!!! Because it is THE TRUTH!!!!!!!
    Brian K. LaMaster

Kevin,

I think the reason that a lot of groups don't have the variety is... because A LOT of instructors teach the "gun is the solution" and not from the "surviving" the fight perspective. There are many pieces of the puzzle that are not taught in a lot of firearms courses that students need to know. The lack of this knowledge get people killed. Also, you cannot teach what you don't know! If all you know is the gun is the solution, then that is what you are going to teach!!!

Guns are taught separately from the use of unarmed combatives. A gun is SIMPLY A TOOL!!! Using a gun should not be much different than using a knife, baton, or any other tool.

I went to your site very briefly. Looks good for students!
    Brian K. LaMaster

A knife is deadly in a lot more situations than most want to believe. It doesn't take much to open a person up in a hurry.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Wink 100% Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    A knife is deadly in a lot more situations than most want to believe. It doesn't take much to open a person up in a hurry.
    You're absolutely correct. But the blade lacks the shock power of the bullet. A really sharp blade won't even hurt too much as it does the job. Your opponent might be literally dead or dying on his feet and the level of "hydraulic failure" not yet reached the brain. Still he may be willing, able and ready to kill you. Remember the advice about wanting to stay in the fight no matter what? That sadly applies to the predators as well. And most of the really bad actors know it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

but, but, but...they told me that "knives are for sissies," and "never bring a knife to a gunfight," and that [insert redneck accent] "all ya gotta do is haul out yer trusty .45 and ventilate the SOB."

all this stuff about integrated training...that sounds like work...I might actually have to sweat...I wouldn't have as much time to lust after all the toys in the latest gun-rag...

"Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

reviving this thread a bit...read it from the beginning. good stuff.

I've always carried at least one knife on me for utility and defense. now that i have kids and always have my tactial diaper bag(maxpedition condor II) on me, i have another one on that as well as a backup...

both are buck folders, and both have served me well.

I'm of the opinion that here in commiefornia, its the best i can legally do to protect my family at the moment, along with having a head on a swivel when we are out.

Friends,

I have a friend who is a Master of San Soo, a Guro of Valencia Lameco Knife Techniques, a double graduate of Orange Gunsite, and a retired teacher of the splendid Turnipseed Technique. We have discussed this matter many times. His position is that within social distances he doesn't care whether he's armed with a pistol or a knife.

This knife demonstration video is pretty old stuff. I attended a Caliber Press seminar conducted for law enforcement types about twenty-five years ago where this was to be demonstrated. I was cheif of training for a federal agency at the time, and I took several of my instructional staff with me to the seminar. One of which was a new addition, a young fellow who, among other things, had volunteered for three tours in Nam as a recon Marine because he liked it. He was the most dangerous man I've ever known, and I've traveled in some rarified circles in my time.

At the seminar the m.c. introduced a wirey little Filipino who was a knife fighting guru. This fellow's method was to attack swiftly with two ordinary kitchen knives with one in each hand, both arms in very rapid constant motion going every which way. They began by letting him slice a suspended butcher paper dummy to shreds in a couple of seconds. Looked wicked.

The m.c. explained the next scenario that would take place. They would load wax bullets, primer fired, in the officers's guns, and they would substitute wooden knives that were dipped in red water paint for the kitchen knives. And they would put white doctor coats on officer vollunteers to protect them from the paint. The Filipino would wear a padded vest and gogles in case an officer managed to get off a shot. The M.C. then asked for volunteers. There were 250-300 officers of one type or another in the audience.

I leaned over and told my new hire that I was ordering him to volunteer. I wanted to see what he could do. He did so along with half a dozen other folks in the audience. As luck would have it, he was selected as the first victim perhaps because he was wearing a suit. He refused the white coat although he did remove his own jacket.

When the Filipino made his move, my boy instantly fell on his back, drawing (crossdraw holster)as he fell. That meant the knife weilder had to stop and bend down to get to him. But before that could happen he pumped two rounds into the guy. Then for good measure, and quick as a snake, he violently kicked the feet out from under the attacker and had his revolver against the poor fellow's head in a heartbeat.

Needless to say, that ruined the whole seminar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links