Some Kerambit and double folder live blade practice

This is a discussion on Some Kerambit and double folder live blade practice within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The following two links will open movie clips of the double folder openings and live blade training as well as the Kerambit training/practice session. http://www.threatfocused.com/videos/BrownieDoubles3.mov ...

Thread: Some Kerambit and double folder live blade practice

Sponsor

Some Kerambit and double folder live blade practice

The following two links will open movie clips of the double folder openings and live blade training as well as the Kerambit training/practice session.

http://www.threatfocused.com/videos/BrownieDoubles3.mov

http://www.threatfocused.com/videos/Karambit3.mov

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    im not personally a fan of knife fighting that is made to look cool. The functionality of that is always questionsable. What is the reason to twirl the blade? To confuse your enemy? Sorry, but while he was spinning it i'd punchie size his face... for free. I do like that he carried 2 blades. Thats an interesting idea.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I don't like the idea of combining IMPACT weapon with EDGED weapon. Two different goals for each that are not easily combined. I love the plastic impact Kerambit. A genius design. Easily wearable anywhere in the world. Nondescript. Looks harmless. The knife I'm not fond of, although it looks wicked as hell.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sponsor
    The functionality of that is always questionsable. What is the reason to twirl the blade?

The Indonesians have been using that knife as a tool and weapon for centuries.

It has a ring on the opposite end of the business edge for a reason. It's not "twirling", it's retracting and extending. Retracting to use reverse edged skills and entending to gain reach. At no time is the blade "twirled". The clip shows me moving the blade fast enough to look like it is twirling but it is not.

Sorry, but while he was spinning it i'd punchie size his face... for free.

Come up against a man who knows how to use one of these tools, your hand is likely to look like hamburg pretty quick, losing fingers in the process.

The video simply demonstrated a short look at it's potential use of a specialized tool and the manual dexterity needed to perform it's function with speed and precision [ without taking out your own body ].

The Kerambits are not everyones taste, nor do I carry one daily. That does not mean, however, that I don't want to study, train and be proficient in as many systems using a blade as I can find. Knowledge of any system is never a waste.

I've studied various blade systems over 15 years now. It's just another effective tool when one knows how to use it properly. It's as dangerous to the uninitiated and the versed in it's use as it is to opponents. I've got a few threads up showing the wounds suffered from the one in the video on two ocassions somewhere.

It wasn't meant to show "cool". It was meant to allow others to see what can be done with one with speed using a live blade that will bite your arse in a heartbeat if you muck up in the least. BTW-Both blades were "live" folders I carried daily back then.

Brownie

I carry an Emerson Karambit daily. As a Leftie, when I present via the wave feature, my grip is reversed. I've practiced spinning the opened Karambit via my left index finger and immediately assuming a proper grip. Speed-wise, it's a blur and I'm ready.

The spin is not a "kata" type move, just a opening/grip technique that puts me at ready. And no, you wouldn't punch me in the face either.

Sponsor
    Speed-wise, it's a blur and I'm ready.

+1

And no, you wouldn't punch me in the face either.

+1

Those who train in the Kerambit will be well versed to deal with incoming limbs of any kind. Hook em, pull down, cut the wrist/forearm/bicep thereby opening the door to slashes.

When the Kerambit slashes, the point leads the way at all times in a stabbing action, the curved blade following the point carving behind it. No one who sees the K drills with either the folder or straight K's wants to be anywhere near it.

One of the only blades styles that an opponent will NOT be able to knock out of your hand or disarm you of without losing their own hand/s.

I reviewed two Blade-Tec Tarani designed K's here a few years ago [ 2003 ]:

http://www.folders-r-us.org/full_tests.htm

I own the masters and journeyman K's in the reviews. The review explains how the point leads the slash at all times.

Brownie

----->Does not want to meet Brownie in a dark alley.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Fast and Smoooth Brownie! I love it.

I did some training with Kerambits, but chose to focus training and skills in Pakal (blade in) for hooking, controls, stabs, etc.

It's good to see ya' again, even if its on video.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Sponsor
    1911NM.

I'm just a little old man sir [ least thats what anyone under 25 thinks ]

kylebce,

Good to hear from you. Pikal techniques are very effective as well once you have the knowledge.

Stay sharp folks

Brownie

Those who train know that there are much better things to do then practice spinning a Karambit. With that said I have been spinning a Emerson Karambit drone for several years in the context no different then someone spinning their car keys in their hand for something to do and not for self-defense purposes. The Emerson Karambit is my left-side carry folder which was selected more from a) ease of deployment b) configured to allow the pocket clip to be mounted for left hand carry. To me there is nothing elegant about even thinking about defending yourself against an attacker knowing full well that all that truly works is skills which are based upon gross motor mentality. The Karambit is an excellent tool for self-defense but not for knife acrobatics in the real world.

Brownie, thanks for sharing.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    The Karambit is an excellent tool for self-defense but not for knife acrobatics in the real world.

Agreed, just like a straight or regular folder, the manual dexterity drills for all of them are just that [ dexterity drills ], not prudent in a real SD situation where movign the knife more than necessary in the hand can lead to fumbling or worse.

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The Karambit is an excellent tool for self-defense but not for knife acrobatics in the real world.

Agreed, just like a straight or regular folder, the manual dexterity drills for all of them are just that [ dexterity drills ], not prudent in a real SD situation where movign the knife more than necessary in the hand can lead to fumbling or worse.

Brownie
    And many people don't realize that they are just that, dexterity drills.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    KevinInstructor,

agreed, and then there are the multitudes of people who carry a folder or straight of some kind on their person, with potential personal self defense in mind some day, who have no formal blade training in any system whatsoever as well.

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    KevinInstructor,

agreed, and then there are the multitudes of people who carry a folder or straight of some kind on their person, with potential personal self defense in mind some day, who have no formal blade training in any system whatsoever as well.

Brownie
    As we both now that is a false sense of security. I have been teaching a very basic class were the only method to attract students is to demo (using a drone) what really happens on the street, no time for drawing people!!! That is when it hits home but of course many do not want to spend the $$$'s regardless. The edge weapons instructor before me who has much more expertise had the same problem mentioned above although he didn't go out and demo stuff simply because that is not how he operates.

Same thing with other needed skills like impact tools or even skills to retain your handgun when someone is attempting to take it away. People think it will not happen to them
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links