Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating?

This is a discussion on Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey I like the sticks because they just look like anything a person might carry while out on a walk, and their ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I like the sticks because they just look like anything a person might carry while out on a walk, and their ordinary manner of carry is that of being utterly ready for defensive deployment.
    Same reason I like the cane. As I am old and decrepit I actually need the thing. Looks like any other cane but gives me that third option. As others have said use your stick as a cane or walking stick and I see no reason why you would have a problem. If you have doubts call the local PD. BTW Kendo is a very good way to learn to use a stick properly. Just checked to see an escrima stick, and saw I showed my ignorant rear. A escrima stick has all its own martial art form. Still learning something new every day. Looks like a walking stick to me and I'd testify to that

2. Remove Ads

One potential concern is how these various suggestions will play in court. An aggressive DA could easily use a weapon like that to paint you as "looking for a fight," and given that must juries are composed of regular citizens they probably won't appreciate the need to be ready.

I like the heavy walking cane suggestion. My only concern would be that a cane could make you look vulnerable.

I carried an escrima stick made of yakal wood for years while walking my (not so big) dog. I have only just recently switched to carrying a ASP in my hand since noticing an increase of pitbulls on my beat. Some of the fences that contain a few of those pitbulls do not so look very well maintained.

When I did carry my escrima stick, my experience has been that I have been looked at by many LEO's that cruised past without so much as tapping their brakes to slow down. I think it helped that I was with my dog...

Now, on the other hand, if I was by myself (sans canine), I am not so sure that they wouldn't have stopped and pulled over to question me. Mind you now that I carry an asp, it is a much hander to see.

I still carry it in my hand...but then again, I am not very threatening looking in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    I have only just recently switched to carrying a ASP in my hand since noticing an increase of pitbulls on my beat. Some of the fences that contain a few of those pitbulls do not so look very well maintained.
    That is a heart breaking example of how the scum bags are winning. Pitbulls used to be the all American dog, until the media and a few scum suckers got ahold of them. For every so called pitbull attack story there is an even worst story of long term abuse of a noble animal. The stories of vicious pitbulls are about as factual as the guns kill people stories or Connie Chung proving automatic weapons will cause a car to blow up

VIP Member
    Good grief, steel Escrima sticks? What happened to bamboo?

In some places it would illegal. Depends on local law.

I always carry mine in a canvas bag. A lot of our non-firearm weapon law is intent and situation specific. If you intend it as a weapon, it is a weapon, and its illegal. If you intend it as sports equipment and are on your way to train, it isn't a weapon--unless you use like one. Cops choice, depending on the circumstances and your state law may vary.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I should have remembered this sooner.

In downtown West Palm Beach a few years ago (4 or 5?) there used to be this HUGE black guy, looked almost like the guy from The Green Mile (name?) and he walked around a lot, I used to see him in the public city library. He wore militant-like fatigues, mostly, and carried a tall walking stick that looked pretty heavy, carved up and all, that was almost as tall as he was.

I don't know if he ever caught crap for walking with that, but really, I guess there aren't any laws against walking with a walking stick anywhere. It would be too subjective for the Law to try to determine who was and was not in need of the support of a walking stick, and when. He probably never got hassled about it, because I saw him repeatedly, always carrying the stick.

The Big "Green Mile" fellow is Michael Clarke Duncan. He's a fine actor & IMHO should have gotten the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that role.

I don't think a cane is illegal for carry (almost) anywhere. It's not like they require a perscription. And who's to say you didn't give your ankle a little roll yesterday?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I think as long as you are using it as a walking stick it's fine. It's when it becomes a weapon that things start getting unclear.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Well, if you're the victim of an attack & are defending yourself I don't think what tool you decide to use really matters. If I'm attacked while on the Golf Course should I avoid whacking my assailant with a 7 iron because I'm concerned it'll be viewed as a weapon. You're darn right it's a weapon NOW, but before the attack it was just a Sporting Good. My cane was just helping me walk before this guy ASSAULTED me. If I had been carrying a purse...I would have hit him with THAT!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Well, if you're the victim of an attack & are defending yourself I don't think what tool you decide to use really matters. If I'm attacked while on the Golf Course should I avoid whacking my assailant with a 7 iron because I'm concerned it'll be viewed as a weapon. You're darn right it's a weapon NOW, but before the attack it was just a Sporting Good. My cane was just helping me walk before this guy ASSAULTED me. If I had been carrying a purse...I would have hit him with THAT!
    Come on Ghost... you know that everyone uses a 9 Iron for whacking someone! Sheesh!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links