Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating?

This is a discussion on Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, now and then when I go out skating, walking, bike riding, I carry a collapsible ASP baton, usually in a pocket, but occasionally in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legality of carrying a stick when out walking, riding, skating?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Okay, now and then when I go out skating, walking, bike riding, I carry a collapsible ASP baton, usually in a pocket, but occasionally in the hand. (If I'm jogging, it'd be in the hand.)

I just purchased a couple of Cold Steel Escrima Sticks (they're AWESOME) and they're like 32" long. (Just long enough to reach the ground as a walking stick.)

What I want to know is whether it's legal to carry this stick (or really, any stick) while out in public riding, skating, walking, etc. I'm not talking about waving it around, or brandishing it. Would a cop stop you and can he hassle you just for having it in your hand? It's so common to see people out walking, carrying a baton of some sort, I am led to believe it must be legal. But is it?

I wouldn't want to be out with my escrima stick on my bike or skating (I'd be carrying it for dog protection, if asked) (because, you know, the GUN is for PEOPLE protection) and get a legal hassle for it.

Walking with a pair of hiking/climbing poles is becoming a real craze in the US, and was very common in Germany. In Texas I've never seen anything prohibiting same, but ignorance is not bliss......

I see many hikers and walkers using trekking poles and walking sticks. Not illegal at all to my knowledge. I use a homemade one while walking which has served me well as a light cudgel on occasion to discourage aggresive dogs.

Assistant Administrator
    Leaving aside legalities - and AFAIK there is no restriction on a walking cane - much IMO will depend on manner and age as to whether it draws attention or not.

I had my Cold Steel solid ash stick with me when in IL - just N of Chicago - and took that into Naval base when my step son graduated earlier this year. I do however walk with some discomfort and am ancient too I doubt anyone would look twice, unless they noticed the huge ball end

OTOH, a young and ostensibly fit lookin' dude with a stick might seem more outa place - to some. So simply carrying might seem less than natural but if assisting any slight limp etc, would be less strange.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Just wear a top hat and tux. to go with the stick.
    Best to check local & state laws .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
    Florida is very specific in their laws. If you have a billie-type club in your car and you do not have a FL CWP you are in a heap of trouble. Curiously, you can have a loaded pistol in your glove compartment without a permit, and it's OK.

You are correct about the last point, and I think about the club as well. Fortunately for me I have a CCW license.

I still don't know if the stick would be a problem, even with the talk of walking sticks and stuff, because this thing is really not designed or even intended as such. It looks like a piece of bamboo that's made out of polypropylene. (It's really pretty cool, and worth ordering at only twenty bucks apiece. Won't rot, warp, crack, splinter. Has a good feel in the hand, doesn't slip when wet, either.)

Not sure I could convince a cop that it's anything but a defensive weapon. Of course, anything that can be claimed to be that can also be claimed to be an offensive one, if that's the cop's mood.

I wouldn't be doing anything more menacing than simply walking, skating or riding around. Obviously I'm not up to anything menacing or illegal or troublesome. I just want to know if cops would just give me trouble simply for having it.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Every state has different laws, but in general, why do something that's "grey" if you don't need to.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend walking around with an ASP (Unless, of course, it's legal where you live), & instead of worrying about an escrima stick, why not just carry a walking stick or an excrima stick that's "walking stick" length. Then, there's really no issue.

I would say, though, that if you're carrying an "escrima stick" while walking, etc, I don't think LE's going to have an issue with it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I would say, though, that if you're carrying an "escrima stick" while walking, etc, I don't think LE's going to have an issue with it.
    Agreed.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Well, I carry a 4 feet bamboo stick while walking with my wife around our neighborhood. I have been lucky in doing so because I 've been attacked three times by dogs that are running loose and the bamboo stick kept the dogs at least 4 feet away. I believe this to be more common than expected and most of the people I see walking around carry a stick in some form or another (I've even seen some guys with golf clubs ).

Just thinking out loud here Jeff: While I believe that you would only use it defensively, and it could be effective at that role, i'm picturing something that I would consider a deadly weapon in the hands of an aggressor. Quite possibly the use of it would be considered the use of deadly force in court. I bring this up because lets say a couple guy come looking to beat someone up. You don't see a weapon and while your whacking one guy with your stick the other guy pulls a gun. Not only were you effectively distracted and allowed the other guy to get the drop on you, he may get off on self defense or defense of his scumbag buddy because you were the first to bring a deadly weapon to bear. You will appear to witnesses as more of an aggressor than if you sprayed some OC and tried to retreat. I think I were ever going to use something that could be construed as as deadly force, then it's going to be that which is most likely to incapacitate the attacker(s) the quickest.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

^^ Which is why, basically, we all carry firearms. The ultimate rock-paper-scissors, it trumps most every other weapon, if competently deployed in an attack against us and luck is on our side. Still the point is clear: a good stick/cane can be an effective alternative for some situations, when a firearm cannot be carried (ie, airplane travel, going anywhere within 30mi of Wa.DC, etc).

Use it as a walking stick. Use it as a cane. Treat it as such. If asked, claim it as such, whether it is used that way or not. And rest easy that it's suitably stout to survive as a defensive weapon, in a pinch. Laws don't disarm and deprive an old person of his/her cane, nor of a hiker or walker of a walking stick. Can't imagine a law would exist to deny someone the use of a normal tool like this. Not even in mommy-may-I jurisdictions so bent on depredations of other kinds. If concerned in your area, call your sheriff and ask.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just get a GOOD WALKING STICK, AND PRACTICE with it. If you are infirmed and need assistance walking, should be no problem. A note from your doctor would help. I have an artificial leg, a note, and a heavy duty walking stick made of conduit packed with sand and end capped on one end and an elbow capped on the other painted brown. I also have a CHL and weapon available too on my walks. Mine is a 642 with crimson trace laser grips, loaded with 158 gr. +P, LSWC HP.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    Amateur Radio License KE5LDO

If you have a CCW than why not carry a quality sword cane like one made by Burger Knives available at http://www.swordcane.com

Thanks, but I'm not interested in sword canes. The principal reason I like the Cold Steel escrima stick is that it is simply a solid piece of plastic, flexible yet stiff, resistant to the elements and to chemicals, lightweight and simple.

Even if my CCW license would protect me from criminal charges if I were to carry a sword cane, one cannot escape the negative attention and suspicions that would surround one if he had to defend himself with one. If I'm going to go lethal (note that I'm not pretending that the sticks can't be used lethally) I'm going to use a gun.

I like the sticks because they just look like anything a person might carry while out on a walk, and their ordinary manner of carry is that of being utterly ready for defensive deployment. I've seen men and women alike carrying some form of a stick on a walk; it's just that I've never been sure of what the LAW is regarding them. I still am not, really.

I've mentioned before that I use an oak walking cane EVERYTIME I fly on a commercial airline. Fortunately, I have grey hair & surgical scars on my ankle (a college-days ligament repair). It's never been an issue & I've never been asked to justify having it. I don't require a cane in my day-to-day life, but I do "lean" on it while standing in lines at the airport to confirm its necessity. My suggestion to you is - don't carry your stick, put the tip against the ground if only occasionally. It makes for a much less-threatening, more-easily explained appearance.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links