Hide Away Knife- New Addition - Page 2

Hide Away Knife- New Addition

This is a discussion on Hide Away Knife- New Addition within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Boxcutter? Kinda has a point. Blade looks like it's about the same size and shape. Certainly such blades have a purpose... opening packages is one ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hide Away Knife- New Addition

Boxcutter? Kinda has a point. Blade looks like it's about the same size and shape.
    Certainly such blades have a purpose... opening packages is one of them.

The thing is though, how many defensive knifes are nearly as realistic as this one? It's built to anticipate every kind of failure in existence.

I love mine.

Tourist would love it too if he could hold one and see the quality. It's like a Rohrbaugh. Sure it's tiny, it's probably not the one you would choose if you knew something was going down, and it's expensive, but the quality, worksmanship, and niche value of the thing is undeniable.

And think about this guys: This product lets you have a flashlight, a blade, and a gun all deployed at the same time without having to possess three hands.

I just like weird stuff that works for what I bought it for I guess.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Rob72, If your involved in a knife to knife or a hand to knife IMO there is no way your gonna cut the BG 2" deep unless you got him in a headlock.Not with the style and/or ergonomics of that weapon. Let me make myself clear. What you guys carry is up to you. Just because I can't see your reasoning does not make it a bad choice for you. I have stated my choices. I'm sure that alot of people disagree with my ideas of how/what to carry. We are all different. The bladed weapon that I choose to carry can be used to jab/stick and the very surpriseing (to the BG) backslash. During our black shirt,chalked rubber knife sessions you'd be surprised how many"bad guys" end up with sometimes up to 10 white streaks from their shoulders down to their fingernails. This is what works for me. Remember also,somewhere under those clothes you got a pistol or revo.-----

Let me put it this way RSSZ. Here's where I find the product is most useful.

Hang it around your neck. It generally stays in place even when you're running, etc. I've worn it constantly for over a year now and it doesn't shift much.

Something goes wrong and you've got an aggressor grabbing your gun in its holster. Or he's choking you from behind. Whatever.

It is a simple matter to reach and jerk. The knife relies on the most crude of motor skills. How many thugs are going to continue trying to jerk a gun away from you or otherwise throttle you while a 2" long claw is cutting their tendons, sinews, muscle, and veins?

Imagine someone punching you. Now imagine someone punching you with a 2" long sharp metal claw.

This isn't the only product of its kind either. The acclaimed La Griffe, SPOT, and Lil Loco all work on the same principle. I just prefer this particular design.

And to be fair, I originally didn't buy it for self protection. I bought it because I wanted a way to discretely carry a knife to cut stuff with. I wanted to avoid raising eyebrows, not slay ninjas. It wasn't until I began to use it that I realized you actually could use this thing for self protection.

VIP Member
    THAT'S NOT A KNIFE !!! Come on people,if your gonna carry a knife then carry a knife. That,IMHO,is a very expensive box cutter.-----
    Sorry, guys. I agree with RSSZ... What this little knife portends to be is a 'last ditch' knife. Now granted, this is a security forum and I understand that the implements discussed here are for defense. There are better easy-to-carry defense knives.... With that proviso, please let RSSZ and I carry what we deem best for our security.
    Tourist, please do not interject into a discussion telling everyone there's better knives for defense, and then follow it up by suggesting to the other members that they shouldn't tell you what's best for you. Also, don't complain about a $69 price tag while you're trying to peddle me a Microtech autoknife and yet elsewhere state a Buck 110 will suffice, while you have a drawer full of ProTechs.

You can spend $69 on a Hideaway, custom fitted to your fingers, or you can spend a few dollars for a cheap boxcutter. Would I want to be cut by either one? Nope. Can they both kill you? Yep.

Buy what you want and can, learn how to use what you buy, know the limitations, and know the ramifications.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

RSSZ, I think there is a bit of misunderstanding: this is, in essence, a punch knife. A less than 2" deep puncture wound would be extremely optimistic on the recipients end, in average, non-winter wear. (I've run a DOA with bilateral hemo/pneumothorax induced by the old Cold Steel Pocket Pal) I'm not trying to convince anyone to rush out and buy the latest GI Joe gadget; I would definitely suggest you try to find someone in your local who has one, for a bit of hands-on.

Tourist, you observed that this will get you in trouble, if you try to carry into a "secured location". This is true of any blade. I note that you carry a double-edge, in most states that constitutes a dagger: illegal. We all make compromises on what we feel we can "get by with". The HAK is by no means the be-all-end-all, but various profiles do offer more options for those who live extremely restrictive environments (Great Britain, DC). With current "Intent" laws, you're screwed regardless of what you do, if you use it , so why not get something that can be legally carried vs. getting you picked up or cited, just for carrying? It's a little hard to say a D/E UT-6 is your fishin' knife, compared to the HAK.

If you do hands on practice, you soon realize several things with the HAK:
    1) It is very much a boxer-style tool, that coordinates well with various open-hand/grappling techniques.
    2) It is very diffucult to apply upper-extremity compliance holds to someone armed with an HAK- you would probably need serious resective work on your tendons.
    3) With the more "mundane" profiles, people don't flinch, as they may if you open a Boa, Leek, Harsey, serrated Spyderco, etc.. Depending on your work environment, this may be more a matter of providing you a blade you can publicly use, and keep you more "serious" blade out of sight.
    4) The best neck-knife I've ever owned was a little skeleton handled 3" blade, by an Oklahoma maker ("by George"). I'm not restricted to neck carry with the HAK, and anywhere I can carry it for ready access, it prints less than the +/-2oz (I'm guessing here)George knife. The George is a league above the Spot in weight and blade length, and better than the La Griffe as it offered a real grip.
    5) If you don't feel it would be of any use "in-the-grope", take a semi-sharp piece of # 2 pencil, about 2" long(project it between your 1st and 2nd finger using the eraser for a bit of pad for your palm), and run it into your sparring partner's ribs, underarm, neck, nostrils, wherever. It won't stop the fight, but it will buy you time and space. (" A handgun is what you use to fight your way to a rifle....") If a bit of pain/blood makes your opponent take off, so much the better. The real deal will start an inner chest bleed very easily.

Badlands Forums had a good thread awhile back: The Pocket Dump What do you have on you, day to day. I confess, I'm in agreement with you, I carry a "more serious" knife too. Typically I'll have a Boa, Leek, or MT Terzuola; Inova light; HAK; a good solid pen (I'm wanting a Mazzuoli!); and OC.

Betty- +1!

this is, in essence, a punch knife.
    It's primarily a slashing tool, rather than a thrusting weapon.

Phil, We have some difference of opinion ref. the little weapon.----BUT---- I gotta say I LOVE the saying on your Martialist site that starts with"ATTACK-ATTACK-ATTACK". A very similar version is what I pound into my students heads. During my class sessions it is told to them 50 or so times. From what I have seen/read on your site,you and I probably have similar views on self defense.---- Lets turn out a whole bunch of NON VICTUMS.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Rob72,

Yes, any knife can be troublesome if you take it into a secured area. And I have. I once got called for jury duty and did not even feel a titanium 970ST clipped to my right front pocket. Fortunately the City/County Building in Madison allows you to "check in" knives rather than confiscate them. I received a receipt, and then picked up my knife after I was dismissed.

("Yes, Your Honor, I believe in the death penalty. Now's a good time...")

As for individuals choosing knives, I always figured you could buy what you want. Some people go absolutely ape at the idea of carrying cocked and locked. I used to sleep in my Officers ACP if I dozed with my pants on. My Detonics didn't even have a grip safety.

True, some of the knives I own would not be the first choice for some one else. I know this, I'm an adult. In fact, I wrote a thread about staying up late with a stiletto accompanying me--and even I think that's a lousy weapon. I also ride without a helmet and eat cookies before dinner. That's the benefit of being an adult.

As I tried to suggest in my disclaimer--which from here on out will be run past an attorney before I even admit to my real name--is that I have opinions on weapons, as anyone here does. I do not give every pistol and every knife a rave review.

And that's a good thing, because if I were king, everyone would be carrying Tussey 1911s and packing Strider ARs. Everyone has a favorite and an opinion on 'second place.'

If you like this little knife, buy one. Buy two, salt one away for a spare for after Hillary takes office. I don't care for the knife for a box-cutter in daily life or as a last ditch weapon. In fact, I'm ordering the new SuperKnife with the longer handle.

I am not what I consider to be a "knife dude".
    That being said, I just ordered one of the "cheapy" models ($69) yesterday.
    When it arrives, I'll share my impressions with the forum.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Rob72,

And that's a good thing, because if I were king, everyone would be carrying Tussey 1911s and packing Strider ARs. Everyone has a favorite and an opinion on 'second place.'
    You've got 1 nomination!

This looks like a cool little gadget.

It seems as though some of the critics on here dont think the knife is big enough and compare it to a box cutter. I must remind you at one day a few years ago a few airplanes were taken down with box cutters. That just goes to show that it doesnt take much, or anything marketed as "tactical" to achieve many combat goals.

Having said my piece it looks like a great idea. I know I would hate to get slashed with one.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Rob72,

I do hope you know I was swinging for the fence on that comment. I really believe that everyone should get the weapon they like, making sure it is effective and fits their lifestyle.

For example, I've seen perhaps a dozen movies where a character, who the director is creating as skilled or dangerous, pulls out a Desert Eagle. Somewhere out there is a larger man who does carry one. I'm sure there are SWAT officers that carry one for criminal raids. But as we discuss 'general use,' I think the pistol has a few flaws for CCW.

But if you want one for clandestine carry, buy one. If you don't like my response, enter into the debate and then buy one anyway.

My hackles are for comments about a particular implement and its effectiveness. Let me give you an example.

After my beloved Officers ACP self-destructed from extreme old age, I went looking for a new small pistol of a larger calibre. I love 1911s, but even I was having doubts about cocked and locked for daily carry. My exposure to the .40/10mm came only from reloading and shooting pop cans. One article from Massad Ayoob stated that he was going to wait until actual data from real fights could be documented.

When a decade-plus of use came in on both the .40 SW and the Glock, I bought my first one, a Glock 23.

I believe that thoughts and opinions can be gleaned by a forum. Certainly you can discern a slant. But if someone says a knife is good in combat, I think it's fair to ask the guy how many knife fights he's been in. If he hasn't been in any, he has only an opinion, not a recommendation of any quality.

(And since I have not been in a knife fight, I do extensive research before I stock my inventory. I believe this research pays off. I have never had a police officer return any knife I sold him expressly for duty.)

Without trying to hurt anyone's feelings, or disuade their right to make a purchase as an adult, I must ask how can this knife have superior power to slash over any knife with a proper edge, or even a broken bottle? Granted, I carry a 'last ditch' weapon (which may or may not be of any real value if pressed to a test), I simply choose not to carry this model.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Rob72,

I do hope you know I was swinging for the fence on that comment. I really believe that everyone should get the weapon they like, making sure it is effective and fits their lifestyle.

Without trying to hurt anyone's feelings, or disuade their right to make a purchase as an adult, I must ask how can this knife have superior power to slash over any knife with a proper edge, or even a broken bottle?
    Outta the park! I know, I was agreeing! Tho by inventory, I'm a 9mm shooter, the Tussey's are superlative.

And I agree totally, on choosing and using SD gear. For me, from my experience, I know I could get this out while someone was trying to get ahold of my head/upper body. I've used a mini-mag light from the same postion I now carry my HAK as a "dissuader", in just that situatuation. As far as the slash power/potential, from handling it, it is much better than the Spot or LaGriffe (to me), and this is a reasonable comparison. If you don't carry something of similar blade length/design, it's pretty much a moot point. In the same vein, a 26" Busse Katana will have more slashing power than 12" Strider. Gotta stick with apples to apples.

Dang, I got a good one started!

Just a thought or three. What do you guys feel that the knife is gonna defend against?? Sounds that some of you may be thinkin' of using a knife(or cutting tool) against a bare handed agressor. Is that what your gonna use that "Exacto" thingy for. It's my belief that if you use a cutting tool against a bare handed attacker your going to jail. My KNIFE will be used against another knife,tire iron,ball bat,ax,hatchet,and (deadly) weapons of that kind UNTIL I can draw my CCW and kill the BG. It could be used against a gun until I can draw and kill the BG but I very much hope that i am better trained than that.----- What say ye?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links