Hide Away Knife- New Addition - Page 3

Hide Away Knife- New Addition

This is a discussion on Hide Away Knife- New Addition within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The role of the HideAway is to have a knife available when otherwise you would not. It is compact, slim and light enough to have ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hide Away Knife- New Addition

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    The role of the HideAway is to have a knife available when otherwise you would not. It is compact, slim and light enough to have with you practically anywhere. That is it's strength. In many ways, it is a 21st century version of the WWII era OSS thumb/lapel dagger.

Does it replace my Clinchpick or a TDI knife? Nope, not even close. But it does have its place.

I've got one of the bargin basement HAK en route to bring up to the NTI. Should be interesting...

For the "Real Knife" fans, ask Mick Strider what he has to say on these. (He makes a version, you know.....)
    www.badlandsforums.com

RSSZ, this is degenerating into the 9mm vs .45 vein. A challenge a dealer friend of mine has proposed: "5 paces, 2 shots each. Your .45, my 9mm. I go first....." Everyone of us, I'm sure, has belittled "mouse-guns/knives" whatever. Personally, I wouldn't volunteer for live-edge testing against the Spyderco Police necklace, in say, Fred Perrin's hands.The weapon you have is always better than the uber-saber/pistol/rifle/ray gun left at home. Only a fool would see(or propose) the HAK (or any single tool) as the answer to every situation. I'm not the one saying or implying that.

Or, if you want a real test, buy Betty one of the trainers($25), and spar with her. (I want a copy of the video! ) In most states, you are justified in using deadly force, if you fear for your life. You'd be hard pressed to find a jury that would convict the average woman, assaulted by an average+ man, to convict. Or the LE who's been disarmed, the EMT attacked while evaccing a GSW, or average joe- meeting the DF requirements. You're challenging an un-made statement

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    And that's a good thing, because if I were king, everyone would be carrying Tussey 1911s and packing Strider ARs.
    I you were King I would say it would be in your best interest to disarm the people for your own safety

Monty

Just a thought or three. What do you guys feel that the knife is gonna defend against?? Sounds that some of you may be thinkin' of using a knife(or cutting tool) against a bare handed agressor. Is that what your gonna use that "Exacto" thingy for. It's my belief that if you use a cutting tool against a bare handed attacker your going to jail.
    It isn't as easy a call as that. Escalation of force can only be considered in context. If a healthy, six-foot, 200-pound male uses a knife against an unarmed, 120-pound opponent, it might be an unjustified escalation. Reverse the roles and the smaller guy could be in genuine fear of death when he chooses to use a force multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Just a thought or three. What do you guys feel that the knife is gonna defend against?? Sounds that some of you may be thinkin' of using a knife(or cutting tool) against a bare handed agressor. Is that what your gonna use that "Exacto" thingy for. It's my belief that if you use a cutting tool against a bare handed attacker your going to jail. My KNIFE will be used against another knife,tire iron,ball bat,ax,hatchet,and (deadly) weapons of that kind UNTIL I can draw my CCW and kill the BG. It could be used against a gun until I can draw and kill the BG but I very much hope that i am better trained than that.----- What say ye?

1 vs 2 or me vs someone bigger. I am 6'5 220 so I wouldnt ever pull on someone smaller, even if they had a knife I could still kick their ass. Maybe I should think about investing in more training than another knife.

:chairshot that one is funny

VIP Member
    It's my belief that if you use a cutting tool against a bare handed attacker your going to jail.
    I'm 5' 3.5" and around 105 pounds. If a much larger and stronger male attacks me with his bare hands, I'm supposed to use my hands in return? There's proper force escalation.

Paul Gomez summed up my thoughts on the Hideaway - it's a backup blade that can go almost anywhere, and while the application may be limited, it serves a purpose, and when employed properly, can be most effective. It's like an NAA Mini - while many may scoff at the tiny little gun, I doubt anyone would volunteer to have one shoved up their chin. I wouldn't want that little knife stuck right below my sternum, pulled down to my navel, and then across my side.

I am 6'5 220 so I wouldnt ever pull on someone smaller, even if they had a knife I could still kick their ass.
    Waldo0506,
    While you have an advantage in being a Big Dude, don't ever underestimate the smaller person, especially if he's already armed with a knife. That attitude can get you severely injured or killed.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Waldo0506,
    While you have an advantage in being a Big Dude, don't ever underestimate the smaller person, especially if he's already armed with a knife. That attitude can get you severely injured or killed.
    I've seen several big guys get their rear ends kicked all over the place by someone that was less than half their size. Overconfidence is a weakness to be used against you....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    This thread broke into two streams of thought--equally important--and centered on this particular 'knife.' My intention was to address both issues, and I appear to have done so, however, it appears I did it poorly.

Am I for defensive weapons? Of course I am. Security and safety are important. I just don't believe knives like this offer any advantage over a sharp stick in the eye. Our group here is making a huge guess. No one here is a knife fighter, an ex-con or even an unfortunate soul who stumbled into a life threatening brawl and saved themselves with a neck knife. The thrust of that discussion is "it couldn't hurt, anything is better than nothing."

I enjoy debating, but any opposition argument can use that in a defense of anything else. "Armpit sweat is better than dying of thirst." "Euc's inflatable girl is better than no prom date at all," etc. Our argument denigrated into, "Well, it's good for slashing." Good heavens, so is a belt buckle. We need more than that.

We counter with Mick Strider's rendition. Now you've got my attention. However, that argument is for the man, not the knife. I admire Mick, so Mick's knife must be superior, ad nausea. Mick also drives a crappy F-150 like mine--further evidence he's a genius.

As for the knife in a stand alone debate for a quality implement, boy, that's a subjective call. Is it a good box cutter? No, even a SuperKnife is sharper and more ergonomic. Can this particular rendition stand on quality and excellence in design? There I don't know because I've never handled one.

However, if a debate is to discuss the positive attributes of a specific product, I still believe that anecdotal evidence of use should be that; it was in fact used in an incident you personally know of. Otherwise, it's just a wild guess.

I've seen a Hayabusa and respect it's image and performance. Have I lived with one? No, so I cannot recommend it nor can I respond to fictional conjectures on drag racing the beast. I can guess, and based on life experiences, I can probably come pretty close. Is that what you really want?

Is a sharpened piece of metal good in a dog-eat-dog alley fight? Again, based on life experiences, it would seem better than nothing.

Is that how we are supposed to judge every defense implement?

VIP Member
    Is a sharpened piece of metal good in a dog-eat-dog alley fight? Again, based on life experiences, it would seem better than nothing. Is that how we are supposed to judge every defense implement?
    If people who had actual experiences in knife fighting and gun fighting were to be the only qualified opinions, the forum would be mostly deserted. Absent actual scenarios where a particular self-defense tool has performed, how are we to judge how effective it can be, and can we gauge it's effectiveness based solely on a limited number of scenarios?

Any number of questions can be asked, based on what particular needs the user thinks he or she requires, such as, but not limited to:

Does it have a sharp blade? Check.
    Is it concealable? Check.
    Can you grasp onto it effectively? Check.
    Can you find an application for it? Check.

"Something is better than nothing." I may never use any of my weapons, or it may be hitting the fan so badly that I use all and need more, and scrabble around for pipe wrenches, broken bottles, or any number of weapons at hand. I'm tired of people stating I'm paranoid, and I've had quite a few say that I don't need any of that - I "only need to learn martial arts," or "I can use pepper spray" and it will solve all my problems. Though I can't be prepared for everything, I can be prepared for many things, and then I go about my merry way.

Some large man in prime physical condition can't tell me what's best for me, because he has yet to walk a mile in my shoes.

Let's say my psycho ex has hunted me down, hidden in a sneaky location ( knowing I am armed), pounces on me and now I'm pinned under his weight, face down in the pavement. All the situational awareness in the world sometimes can't prevent things from happening. I can't reach my waistband without him seeing it and pinning my arm behind my back. I can't reach my ankle holster. I'm feeling the jutting pains of a heavy, strong man bearing down on my fused back. He's got his hands wrapped around my throat and he's squeezing my lights out. And then there's this little Hideaway up under my collar, just like how Front Sight has in her picture. I cut down across his hand or into his triceps and cut those muscle groups wide open. His grip releases, and he rolls off me in pain...

And there's a scenario for the Hideaway. It can be countered with:

"Your situational awareness should've been better."
    "You could have _____ knife instead, and it costs ____ and you can also do ____ with it."
    "You could have (insert martial arts move here)."
    "You've been watching too much TV."

Buy what you want and can, learn how to use what you buy, know the limitations, and know the ramifications.

Debating any defensive tool must be done in a civil, rational manner. I don't care what the opinion is - we all have something to learn from everyone else. However, I will call out opinions that are blatantly hypocritical, not worthwhile to the contribution, or arrogant:

"It's not a good defensive tool for you. I prefer my ____ tool. Don't tell me what's good for me."
    "You call that a weapon? C'mon!"
    "I'm a big dude, so I can just stomp on everyone."

None of those will go anywhere in any discussion but downhill. Comparing a sharpened blade to a belt buckle won't work either; should someone start comparing somebody's Tussey Colt .380 to a paperweight, all hell's going to break loose.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

" Is a sharpened piece of metal good in a dog-eat-dog alley fight?"

Someone needs to read a history book.

George,

What I was eluding to was the usual train-wreck of mistakes and gaffes in drunken bar fights. It's not choreographed, it just looks like a drunken Easter egg hunt.

Sometimes I was at one end of the bar when a fight broke out, and ended, before I knew anything had happened. You could hit the bathrooms and miss the whole thing.

This knife is a small weapon, people get scared and things escalate.

I think most times if I got into a heated disagreement, nothing happened but a lot of yelling and trash talk about the guy's mother. And of course, liquor is involved.

If a guy pulled this little knife, I would have felt, like now (confused), that the stakes had been raised.

One of my buddies would have tossed me a pool cue and we would have put the guy in the hospital. Over what?

What you don't know about me is that I have been on a crusade against this type of senseless behavior. I think drunken bar fights are stupid, and often times good people put themselves into positions where common sense should have prevailed.

In a lot of cases, we talk about 'premeditation.' If you hang a last ditch fighting knife around your neck--and then go places where 'last ditch' events happen--who do you blame?

I have a jackknife. I have personal defense firearms. I have good doors, windows and alarms. I practice avoidance, but some things happen.

Ask yourself this scenario. All of the CCW crew here get together for dinner, and as weapons guys, we empty our pockets.

One of the guys has a non-metal resin knife taped to his leg, a little knife like this, water purification tablets, a James Bond attache' case complete with dagger, a wrist watch with a garrote wire, a minature camera and three flashlights. (Trust me, hang around in the forums long enough and there is a guy just like this.) What's this guy's motivation?

Carry a reliable CCW pistol. Practice. Carry a well made jackknife, perhaps a smaller SAK. A SureFire is very handy.

If you start hiding last ditch weapons all over your body, you need to see my cognitive guy.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The statements that I have made ref. the little cutting tool were made out of inquisativeness. I wanted to find out what I was missing by not having one of those little cutting tools. I wanted to learn something that some of you other guys and gals were doing that could better my ability to protect myself and my loved ones. I do not, nor will I ever,have all the answers. I am a "open to suggestions" sort of guy. I am not trying to belittle any of you nor am I trying to change anyones mind about how to carry or what to carry. I simply am trying to understand your philosophy on the above. What you want to carry as a primary CCW,BUG,defensive blade,ammo,etc., is up to you. You know what suits you best. Meanwhile I'll just keep carrying that little tiny Kimber(3" bbl) that will sooner or later have a FTF or a FTE after the 27th round that I have fired in the gunfight with 5 or 6 BG's. ----This with the due respect to my fellow CCW'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I'm 5' 3.5" and around 105 pounds. If a much larger and stronger male attacks me with his bare hands, I'm supposed to use my hands in return? There's proper force escalation.

Paul Gomez summed up my thoughts on the Hideaway - it's a backup blade that can go almost anywhere, and while the application may be limited, it serves a purpose, and when employed properly, can be most effective. It's like an NAA Mini - while many may scoff at the tiny little gun, I doubt anyone would volunteer to have one shoved up their chin. I wouldn't want that little knife stuck right below my sternum, pulled down to my navel, and then across my side.

Waldo0506,
    I know it can, I over estimate everyone. Im trained.

WooHOO here she is!!

Utility and my Brock:

"Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

RSSZ,

You've probably done everyone a real service. This is the most in-depth debate I can remember here. And both (many?) sides all raised good points. Ultimately that's why we're here, to help each other make good choices.

Hey, do you have anything else that's this much fun?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links