Hide Away Knife- New Addition

This is a discussion on Hide Away Knife- New Addition within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think they look like great little knives. But I couldn't justify buying one untill they came down below the $50 dollar mark. It's a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hide Away Knife- New Addition

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think they look like great little knives. But I couldn't justify buying one untill they came down below the $50 dollar mark. It's a sharpened blank as far as I can see. Though it seems like a very functional and usefull blank. I'm not paying more than 50 bucks for one.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a "knife guy" but I've been watching these. I was happy when the cheaper version came out, but like blueyedevil, I think they are a bit pricey. I know price includes not just raw material and labor, but maybe they will come down another click or so and I'll get on board. I tried the TDI LEO defense knife, just too big...maybe there is a mass produced hook shaped neck knife like a La Griffe out there if I look hard enough. Hey, 'scuse me while I look at a couple of knife sites... ;)

Guys, these are really unlikely to break the $50 mark. If FS were to sell the rights to BM/CRKT/Spyderco, yeah, maybe(you still don't find La Griffes for $50, routinely).

As-is, you get a semi-custom (even with the U version), with Bos heat treat (generally recognized as one of, if not the, best in the business).

I won't try to convert you, but don't expect to get a "Hemi" for a "straight 6" price. There are knock-offs; last I recall, a guy from Sweden had them on ebay.

Barry Eisler has a new book out? I read the first 4 liked the first 3. Was VERY disappointed with the 4th. Hopefully the 5th is good, I am buying it tomorrow!

Price liquidity

If FS were to understand 'price-liquidity', they'd know that they would sell a ton more at $50, than the high price they're asking for now.

i.e.
    Sell one box of popcorn for $25 and you make $25.00,
    BUT..
    if you sell each box for just $1 each, you would sell a lot more than 25 boxes! Making a lot more than $25.00!!!!!!!

Price-liquidity; simple marketing economics...

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post
    If FS were to understand 'price-liquidity', they'd know that they would sell a ton more at $50, than the high price they're asking for now.

i.e.
    Sell one box of popcorn for $25 and you make $25.00,
    BUT..
    if you sell each box for just $1 each, you would sell a lot more than 25 boxes! Making a lot more than $25.00!!!!!!!

Price-liquidity; simple marketing economics...
    Wes.
    Just FYI: "FS", or "FrontSight" is a single person, not a company. She still personally orders her steel, writes her CAD/CAM, and directs shipping. This is a "sideline of interest", vis-a-vis her real job, which is even geekier than CAD/CAM.

Price liquidity is possible, but only with A) substantial, up-front, liquidity, or B)extremely low materials cost, in relation to the price of the finished product(call Mick Strider, or Jerry Hossum, and see what they will charge you to grind a 2.5"x3.0" blank by hand ). Benchmade has been in business going on 20+ years, and they are just now approaching "price-liquidity"........with knives that virtually none of the Blue/Black-line buyers will touch. Quality costs.

FS is as much an icon as a quality knife designer. She brought handmade custom knives from top makers to the market at <$200, designed and machined (until recently) literally in her "girl-garage". A successful American businesswoman, with personal interest in her product. She may outsource more, or eventually sell the rights, but for now, she deserves the business of American warriors. She gets it. So do they.

Again, if you don't buy into the entreprenurial, made-in-America, line, don't sweat it. If you aren't into "custom", don't sweat it. If you want to learn more about the business and marketing of custom knives, check in over at http://usualsuspect.net/forums/ The Jones Brothers would be good guys to start with first. Smith&Wesson knives these ain't.

Just for the record, when I said these knives are bit pricey-I meant for me and my use-not that they aren't worth it, or maybe even a bargain given the amount of individual attention each one must get.
    One thing, Rob, what is a Blue/Black line buyer? Cops and military commandos?
    I know a lot of working cops carrying Benchmades, but they (like me and my Emerson CQC-7) aren't knife people, they just want something that will work at a price they can afford.

Benchmade's Blue and Black lines (the colors of the boxes the knives come in) are all made in America. IIRC, the Black line is the major$$ series, and there is an appreciable difference in feel. BM has come out with the "Red line", and these are made in Taiwan, I believe. Reds run in the $30-50 range, and so are comparative value buys. The only problem is that several folks on various knife boards are reporting problems with bad fit, poor lock-up, and overall cheaper build. Now there is "cheap" and there is "CHEAP" , and that is the problem most people with prior BM experience have. If all you've ever carried are the S&W, or similar, the Red is a step up- BM just set their own mark too high for the old-tymers. I was interested in two of the offered models, but having had a chance to handle them, decided to save my $$ for something a bit better.

I wasn't trying to come across as a steel-snob, SD, and I have to confess, FrontSight has something of a cult following, even more so than Strider, Yurco, Hossom, Coogler, etc.(all her "concubines"). In a field in which few are successful, and virtually no women are around, there is a strong, protective, feeling with those who've dealt very much with her.

If you want to check out the group (assuming you haven't seen it already) http://www.badlandsforums.com/forums/index.php and look on the Hideaway Knife board. Shows a lot of the growth and development. Stay safe!

Thanks, Rob, I appreciate the info. I'm going to my local knife shop today to maybe look at a neck knife or a knock-off of the HAK, just out of curiosity. I'll know more if they do the "red box, blue box (line)" description. I had the TDI K-Bar weapon retention knife and it was still just too big. I haven't seen the forum you mentioned but will look into it. I dunno, the last time I looked into a particular "cult item" forum, I bought a P7M8, maybe this might not be a good idea...

New Member Array Bucking the System's Avatar
    The HAK is a small fixed blade that can be carried in 20 or 30 ways, offers the ability to hit vital blood flow and pressure points with very little training, has one basic purpose - self defense (but can accomplish a numbe of chores) and is as fast as your hands can move.

One of the interesting aspects of the HAK is that it is often not noticed by the attacker until they have received several of many punctures. For LE and the Military (and civi use with the right paperwork), the small blade can be produced and employed in much less time than it takes to unholster a concealed pistol.

Not advocating using this as a primary - far from it. The small blades are so erogronomically correct and accessable, you simply cannot go wrong. Yes, you have to stick your fingers through a hole. Lots of people (including my knife making instructor) claim that you can lose a finger - or at least a broken finger - with this type of blade. I would chance that the individual that grabbed my wrist to disarm me would end up with a number of tendons and arteries cut.

I see and understand the arguments. All are valid features and limitations of a small piece of steel. When you look at what a small piece of steel made specifically for self defense is capable of doing, and, hopefully not, having seen first hand what the results of an attack can be against a HAK (I was in New Orleans and was forced to deal with a very dangerous situation), your opinions might change.

Specific tool. Specific job. Very fast and they cut and punch like a heavy razor blade. I have not problems showing both thumbs up. I am alive today because of a friends loan of the blade.

I hope the rookie has not gone to far into the veteran zone. I simply can look in the mirror at my face instead of looking up at a pine box (cool old expression) each AM because of the tool.

By the way, I make great big knives for military guys, so the idea is new to me, as well. I have done 5 years of research and training in several months (exaggeration, but it feels like it) re the HAK. I am satisfied that it is a viable defensive weapon that no one should be without - ESPECIALLY LE AND MILITARY.

Thanks for letting the newbie rant.

Bill

As cool as these little knives may or may not be, MI members be advised; They are fixed blades knives and will legally land you in the clink if you are caught carrying them, while not hunting, by the wrong LEO.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

My 2 cents opinion in this Fur's a-Flyin' Thread!

I love my HAK Claw! Yes I do. Until I actually got my hands on one I did'nt understand how useful one could be. I hav'nt taken it off since it came in the mail. I can have it on and you would'nt know it if you were standing next to me. I can have it deployed (Aint that a fancy way t' say "wearin' it"?) and still draw my duty weapon. You dont "hold" or "grip" a HAK as much as "wear" it like a ring. Not likely to drop it or have it taken away and used against you. Gives new meaning to ".........Pry it from my cold, dead, Hand(s),,,,". And it works really well with all of the martial arts training Ive had. Yeah, yeah, I know, it aint gonna replace my combat bowie, knife, but it aint 'sposed to. My HAK is with me 24/7, and Im pretty confidant that any BG that tries to violate my personal space is gonna get........ .
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    They are a specialty knife, not a primary. In some places, it is illegal.

It's a great secondary knife for LE & military personnel. No more, no less.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    In some places, it is illegal.
    And in those NPE locations, so is everything else.

A roll of quarters and a pair of spare socks can be carried most anywhere......

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    THAT'S NOT A KNIFE !!! Come on people,if your gonna carry a knife then carry a knife. That,IMHO,is a very expensive box cutter.-----
    Now that's funny...true, and funny....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links