Hide Away Knife- New Addition

This is a discussion on Hide Away Knife- New Addition within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For anyone who thought it was a good idea, but didn't have the $$, or anyone who wondered, and didn't want to risk serious $$ ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hide Away Knife- New Addition

For anyone who thought it was a good idea, but didn't have the $$, or anyone who wondered, and didn't want to risk serious $$ on something left in the night-table:

http://www.hideawayknife.com/new.php

The new Utility HAK, in 440C. I have a S30V Hybrid and Curvy, and love'm. I carry one or both, all day, everyday. Check her out. FS (FrontSight)is good people.

VIP Member
    I think they're neat little knives. I don't have one yet, but you're tempting me mighty good.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    that is just too cool. Especially with all the hide away options!

I own one and carry it every day. It's so neat!

Worth every penny and I know it was made just for me.

I keep telling myself I want another one, but the darn thing is this knife is so great I can't find an excuse to buy another model.

The Utility HAK looks brilliant though... I want one...

For what it is, the price is very reasonable. I plug HAKs every chance I get because they're a truly fantastic product.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I think they're neat little knives. I don't have one yet, but you're tempting me mighty good.
    Hey, $70- more or less 5 boxes of WWB from Wally World, and it will go places our larger implements of force projection won't.

Neat... but awfully spendy for such a little bit of sharp metal.

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    Neat... but awfully spendy for such a little bit of sharp metal.
    True, and it very much a personal preference issue. I regularly spend $80+ on good folders (which is why I don't have 14 dozen floating around the house! ) It will either be a "niche" you see, or not. If I were going to carry a Spot, I'd just as soon carry a Disciple(or similar fixed), and have something that could apply serious leverage, whatever I needed it to do.

The HAK is something I use everyday. Zip open feed sacks, open the mail, open shipping boxes. You can even do a fair job of prying a crate top open with one. I'd easily go through $70-100 worth of S&W's "finest" in a month or so, so to me, it's worth it.(SD carry/usage totally aside- the fact that I have it when I have nothing else but swim trunks goes a long way with me.)

The thing is...

The knife is designed for you. Not someone else, you.

It's made by a knifemaker you've heard of. Ken Brock made mine.

The sheath is made for that knife for the carry method of your choice, the way a sheath should be made.

There's nothing to go wrong. There's nothing to break. It goes everywhere except on a plane or in a courthouse.

It's far more likely to be with me than any other self defense tool I own.

I went through 3 or 4 lesser neck knives, and the Hideaway scratched that itch but good.

I wish I could find a gun that 100% satisfied me the way the HAK knife has. Not that I don't carry and use other knives, not that the HAK is perfect for everything, but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. $165 was reasonable!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    THAT'S NOT A KNIFE !!! Come on people,if your gonna carry a knife then carry a knife. That,IMHO,is a very expensive box cutter.-----
    Last edited by RSSZ; May 25th, 2005 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    THAT'S NOT A KNIFE !!! Common people,if your gonna carry a knife then carry a knife. That,IMHO,is a very expensive box cutter.-----
    Well, I'm an obvious convert , but I would disagree. Again, to each his/her own, but the HAK's are easily concealable, have a legal-length blade, in most localities, and offer the advantage of open-hand use while retaining the knife.

If you're referring to wound potential, a 2" blade can penetrate/sever anything you need to reach. (ex-EMT, ex-corrections- I've seen some cutting injuries) Granted, I would love to open carry, with a 10" Bowie at the small of my back, but that isn't realistic. The HAK fits very well, in a layered force-option package. It boils down to the old dictum: "If all you have is a hammer....." There is a different mode of thinking to these.

"Common people..."?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Spoken like someone who's never handled one, RSSZ. My Ti Brock HAK is a lovely knife.

Sharp, too!

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Sorry, guys. I agree with RSSZ. If I need a smaller blade for precise work I use a SuperKnife or an Xacto. In fact, my currect EDC blade for that type of work is a Razor Knife designed by Tom Anderson.

What this little knife portends to be is a 'last ditch' knife. Now granted, this is a security forum and I understand that the implements discussed here are for defense. There are better easy-to-carry defense knives.

My concern is the romance aspect of this knife. It is a knife that can be secreted on your person somewhere and wielded at the last moment against an aggressor. Most of us carry many layers of safety equipment, including a SureFire and a tactical pen.

And if any area is designated a 'government safety' area, like a Post Office or an airport, stuff like this will get you arrested, dead bang.

Admittedly, I carry 'secret weapons' that I'm not even sure my wife knows I have for trips to the movies and to the mall. (Mall ninjas are everywhere!) However, what I do carry is a lot more effective than this.

I would put my faith in a common neck knife.

Now for the disclaimer. This is my opinion only. You are an intelligent American citizen and you may purchase and carry whatever implement enhances your lifestyle. (After all, Arnold Schwarzenegger cut James Caan on the elbow with a "cheap piece of mail order crap.") With that proviso, please let RSSZ and I carry what we deem best for our security.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Tourist, Absolutely right. There's those guys opinion ---THEN--- the right one. Just kiddin'--- Absolutely to each their own. I have not handled one of them or even seen one in person. The little cuttin' tools(can't bring myself to actually refer to them as a knife,I swear, I tried) would only get me in trouble. Security guards in any secure/sterile area that you can't have a(real) knife in,would go ape s--- if they found one of these on you. The first thought would be that your trying to hide it/get away with something,etc.,etc. Hey,iffen yous guys want one of them itty bitty thangs then GO FOR IT. Here's my story(and I'm stickin' to it). One CCW weapon,one extra mag,and one (real) knife.Fixed/streight blade,double edged,4-6" blade,can present(without sheith hopefully) with one hand(either hand). For you guys that live in states where you can't carry one of the above (real) knives ----- MOVE--- or start carring a very small piece of broken glass. (FLAME SUIT-------- ON)

Do you consider every knife with a sheepsfoot blade a boxcutter?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links