Great cheap knife

Great cheap knife

This is a discussion on Great cheap knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a CRKT from WallyWorld a while back for $20, black plastic handles with a partially serrated black blade. I hate serrated blades, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great cheap knife

Great cheap knife

Got a CRKT from WallyWorld a while back for $20, black plastic handles with a partially serrated black blade.

I hate serrated blades, but I had just lost my Gerber and needed a new one. Now. Went ahead and bought it, I really like the flipper design of it (it would be a GREAT assisted opener knife), and the serrations were just too much of a pain for me to consistently stay in the grooves and keep them sharp.

I took that part of the blade to the grinder, and now have a straight edge a little bit higher on the blade than the factory tanto on it. I love it.

My reasoning:

A) I hate serrations, they're a pain to accurately sharpen, and teeth break off easily

B) Serrations tend to catch on loose clothing, not tear through or cut through effortlessly

C) Plain edges are more durable, and a good edge can cut faster than serrations can tear

Now there's a miniature hook starting about 1" into the blade, sharp as hell prior to, and sharp as hell starting at that point. I've been cut to the bone before by blades, but I REALLY wouldn't want to catch this one.

Some of you folks may want to look into doing this if you share any of my reasoning, regardless the knife you currently have. Took me a few hours with sontes to get an edge, but man it's sharp. I shaved my face with the knife immediately prior to posting. Worked better than my razor
    Attached Images
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Looks good. I was looking for one of those for a friend. The price is right too.

I can't get a good edge on a knife much less grind one down and resharpen. Nice work.

I personally like a serrated blade. For some reason I have no problem sharpening them to a fine edge.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I've got one of the M16-13ZM Military ones, and really like it. Can't beat the prices.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Yep, I just got one. A great little knife. I like the LAWKS safety system on it. I also have this diamond sharpener, I forget who makes it. It's flat on one side and rounded on the other. Anyway you can fit it right in the serations. Then flatten the burrs on the other side. Works pretty good.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I have one of those guys sitting on my dresser right now. I like it alot, only complaint is I can't carry it anymore b/c one of the screws holding the clip fell off...

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have one too; not a bad knife but a little thick. I carry a folder IWB so having it nice and flat is good. Still, for the money, you can't go wrong with a knife like this. An inexpensive knife like this is a good place to practice sharpening skills too!
    God Bless
    Gideon

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I have one of those guys sitting on my dresser right now. I like it alot, only complaint is I can't carry it anymore b/c one of the screws holding the clip fell off...
    Give CRKT a call ... they might send you a free replacement set. And don't forget loctite!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Nice job. If that's you in the pic, you still need to shave........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Smooth as a baby's butt, the skin always shows the stubble regardless the method used for shaving or how good a job I do. Couldn't fel the hair in any direction, so its good in my book!
    ~Mike F.

Can't go wrong...

"...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Got a CRKT from WallyWorld a while back for $20, black plastic handles with a partially serrated black blade.

I hate serrated blades, but I had just lost my Gerber and needed a new one. Now. Went ahead and bought it, I really like the flipper design of it (it would be a GREAT assisted opener knife), and the serrations were just too much of a pain for me to consistently stay in the grooves and keep them sharp.

I took that part of the blade to the grinder, and now have a straight edge a little bit higher on the blade than the factory tanto on it. I love it.

My reasoning:

A) I hate serrations, they're a pain to accurately sharpen, and teeth break off easily

B) Serrations tend to catch on loose clothing, not tear through or cut through effortlessly

C) Plain edges are more durable, and a good edge can cut faster than serrations can tear

Now there's a miniature hook starting about 1" into the blade, sharp as hell prior to, and sharp as hell starting at that point. I've been cut to the bone before by blades, but I REALLY wouldn't want to catch this one.

Some of you folks may want to look into doing this if you share any of my reasoning, regardless the knife you currently have. Took me a few hours with sontes to get an edge, but man it's sharp. I shaved my face with the knife immediately prior to posting. Worked better than my razor
    The only dilemma you may have is blade hardness now. If you ran it on a typical bench grinder at full speed and/or with or without constant cooling source (as in oil spray), it's probably going to have to be re-heat treated properly. The reason I say this is that the excessive heat created by the grinding process may have changed the properties of the metal.

- just my .02 and I'm not an expert, but I have dabbled now and then. Might want to find a good bladesmith and ask them...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Doesn't look like you ruined the temper of the blade at all. Very good work. What kind of grinder did you use? Or did you do it by hand? Either way it looks perfect.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

i have the 10 kz and i love it i carry it every day. i also have the larger crawford falcon w/lawks system crkt makes a helva good knife for the price . if you like the fixed blades they make a great seletion of those also my fav's being the ultma and the m60 sotfb.
    "who are the milita ?they consist now of the whole people ,except a few public officers ."george mason ,virgina ratification covention, june 16,1778

Sponsor
    Back when I was testing folders here:

http://www.folders-r-us.org/full_tests.htm

I tested a CRKT for strength of the blade, edge retention, etc. The blades are not heat treated hard enough and the tips are easily bent broken on hard targets.

For a defensive blade, it may be acceptable to many, but not for myself. I demand more performance from a knife that may be needed to save my butt.

If you scroll through the linked "tests", you find the CRKT at the bottom of the list.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Unfortunately, the clip screws (2 of 'em) backed out and were lost, so I'm back to my old Gerber until I get a Spyderco waved blade.

As for the grinder: I only used the bench grinder with little pressure to knock the teeth off, stopping right above where the bottom curve of the serration stops. I then by hand added the edge.
    ~Mike F.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links