Waved Enduras

Waved Enduras

This is a discussion on Waved Enduras within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess there may be a second run but this is one of the two knives I'm buying this year: http://www.selfdefensegear.com/Merch..._Code=Spyderco...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waved Enduras

Waved Enduras

I guess there may be a second run but this is one of the two knives I'm buying this year:

http://www.selfdefensegear.com/Merch..._Code=Spyderco

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I've been watching for it, as well. I do not sell any Spydercos, but the sporting goods store where I sharpen carries a limited amount of their line. I was glad to see they carry the models in VG-10.

I think this is a good idea if the model you like does not come in an 'assisted' version, or if you cannot carry an auto. I have not had trouble opening Spydercos with a large hole even without the wave feature.

I'm getting one even though that's an outrageous price.

People have been modifying Enduras this way for a long time, but this way you get the design as it was intended, and you don't void your warranty.

My home project

A little late in the game, but I'll post this anyway. I did the dremel work on my Spyderco a few months ago and posted it on other forums.-

Well, I broke down and waved a Spyderco Delica. I debated about doing it because I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good knife, even though I wasn't a fan of the 'SpyderHole' that was Spyderco's trademark. I had this idea before, when I first saw a Kershaw Talon with the 'bottle opener' function. Those Talons didn't sell very well and Kershaw yanked them out of production. They are very hard to find now.
    BTW, I thought of this idea on my own but many others have done it before I did.

So, with a Dremel and a steady hand I cut my Delica and VIOLA! It is a very fast opener when I pull it out.
    Attached Images
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

For comparison I'm posting the Kershaw Talon and the unmolested Delica. (I would have done it on my previous post but the files are too large and my brain to small to make it work )
    Attached Images

Live Easy, Die Hard

Assistant Administrator
    Q-ball - looks very effective but - how much (if any) tendency is there for that ''hook'' to snag on clothing? I can see the potential for fast opening - which is as a feature rather appealing!!

BTW re images .......... BMP images are uncompressed and so way large for their effective display size. Compress first with JPG compression, even at 10:1 sorta ratio and the files get way smaller, with only modest losses.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

how much (if any) tendency is there for that ''hook'' to snag on clothing?

Well P, it was made to catch on the pocket of your pants as you pull out the knife (which you already knew). As far as it snagging on other clothing, it doesn't with my experience. I have carried that blade with a t-shirt or long jacket and whipped out the blade with no snagging on the outer garment. I have a video link on another forum (Jim Linch set it up for me), I'll see if I can transfer it over here.

Live Easy, Die Hard

I think I figured it out.

Video1

Video2

Not really exciting, but I thought it was cool.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Assistant Administrator
    Q - great!! Thx a lot for the vids - heck that is pretty slick. Yeah I had just wondered with such a good size hook if it ever caught easily when not wanted (to be caught!!).

I am impressed ... Pity my Buck Mayo TNT will not lend itself to such a modification - it is slower to open than I'd like. If I get thumb just right and a good flick then it is (can be) quite fast. Trouble is I have taken to left side carry because piece is right side ........ and so find it less fluent on the draw.

Chris - P95

Yeah I had just wondered with such a good size hook if it ever caught easily when not wanted (to be caught!!).
    I hear ya. When I take it out and I don't want the blade to open I have to be really careful.

Hey P, try this trick instead of dremeling your blade on your Buck (like you would do that to a $200.00 knife).

Take a zip tie and tie it onto the hole. Now I know the pocket clip isn't geared for tip up carry but place the Buck in your pocket tip up and drag it out riding the spine (with the zip tie) and catching your pocket. This also works with Spydercos if you don't want to dremel the Spyderhole.

Live Easy, Die Hard

pff, carry a fixed blade and be done with it already! :)

Assistant Administrator
    Q - good thinking - I will try the zip-tie trick - just a pity the clip forces a tip down normal mode. Could well be I am gonna have to invest in another knife (yet another!).

Jim - fixed blade??? I could fit that bill too - but, what I would choose would not be (ahem) too ''legal''
    Chris - P95

Yeah, Oregon is pretty lax on fixed blades, but they present their own set of issues. I was being a bit facetious. They are the bet solution if you can pack one though.

Q-ball, cool video man! Think I'm gonna whip out the ol' Dremmel and give that a try.

Franco
    May the Schwartz be with you

Hey Franco if you need any tips, let me know. I wrote a set of instructions on another forum.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links