What Brand is Best-Knives

This is a discussion on What Brand is Best-Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What the heck????? A list of quality knives listing Gerber and CRKT and you dont even have the decency to put Emerson on their? In ...

View Poll Results: What is the best brand of knife?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sog

19 7.76%
  • Benchmade

79 32.24%
  • Cold Steel

14 5.71%
  • Kabar

8 3.27%
  • Gerber

17 6.94%
  • Crkt-Columbia River

14 5.71%
  • Kershaw

32 13.06%
  • Buck

9 3.67%
  • Schrade

3 1.22%
  • Other

50 20.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Brand is Best-Knives

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    What the heck????? A list of quality knives listing Gerber and CRKT and you dont even have the decency to put Emerson on their? In the words of Sal Glasser (owner of Spyderco) "There is no finner folding blade for tactical situations than an Emerson".

(I wont even comment on where SOG belongs, but thats another story).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Benchmade is my choice.

Cold Steel is also a very nice name to have. SOG and Spyderco are good as well.

The others would trickle down the list.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I put "other", but mainly because it depends on what kind of knife. Tactical folder? Probably Emerson, but I also like ZT. Striders are very good, but not necessarily if you factor price in.

Some of the manufacturers listed are pretty good. There are some very nice Benchmades, & the others listed aren't bad. I wouldn't say Spydercos are THE best, but they (Like Emerson & ZT), should be on the list.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

It doesn't get any better than Strider....sorry.
    surprise, speed and viloence of action

EMERSON - Wave - Commander

SPYDERCO - Wave - Delcia and Endura

KABAR - the only that makes the TDI Peace Officer fixed blade knife - small and large on belt plus an ankle rig - take a look on the web

MAD DOG - large fix blades

SHIVWORKS - smaller fix blades "defense" knives

LEATHERMAN - multi-tool

the best brand is for me fallkniven
    Last edited by ray_ray; August 19th, 2007 at 10:55 AM.

Best Knives

While all of the above mentioned brand names are decent to great quality direct type knives there are three names that have not been mentioned.

1. Mick Strider

2. Chris Reeve

3 Bill Harsey

Anything with these names attached or direct is by hands down the finest blades that one can find. They do not come cheap and they are not for opening your letters or your UPS Boxes.

All three of these men produce only the best in the blade business. Serious tools for serious men. PERIOD

I do however support Benchmade and some Kershaw blades if your budget is of the lower bracket, but you wont be disapointed in a Harsey T1 or T2 Folder, or a Strider. Bill Harsey just released his H-Class, which is his top of the line lot. His most recent creation is the H-Class Tanto. It is by far one of the best fixed blades in the industry along with his and Chris Reeves "Yarborough" blade that is being given to each graduate of the Army Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC) Those too can be purchased by the civillian from Chris Reeves site under the title of "Green Beret" knife. They are exactly the same knife that the graduates of the "Q" course are recieving only lacking the USASOC serial number and "Yarborough" stamp with Bill and Chris signature engraved. Both Chris and Bill Harsey were behind the design and specs of the "Yarborough" knife

You wont ever be disapointed with a Harsey, Reeve or Strider blade. However, be ready to reach a bit more deep into your pocket book.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Most of the production knives mentioned in the poll has at least one pretty good model. Some several.

I've had a couple good Gerbers, and I really like Benchmade as I've lost 3 of them and keep buying. Now I have a griptillian for work that has the modified sheepsfoot. Pretty good.

I have an Emerson that I really like except for the satin blade. I wish it was black T.

I've had some SOGs and really liked the Tomcat and Seal Pup.

Have my USMC issued Kabar that can't be beat.

And who hasn't had one of the original Buck Folding Hunters?

And the Puma original White Hunter is hard to beat.

I like knives and would be hard pressed to name one as The Best.

I also have a few A.G. Russell's, a Dozier and a nice Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works hunting hatchet on the custom side.

I didn't vote cause I can't pick a best. I've had a lot of knives (mostly production, but a few custom) and very few were junk but mostly I do pretty good research before I buy something and am usually happy with what I get.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This isn't fair... it's like being forced to pick which son is better.

Seeing that I have more CRKT than any other, I guess they get the vote.

When I was in Iraq I bought one of those "tactical" Ka-bar knives with the tanto tip and even though the thing was tough as nails I never could get it sharp enough for my liking. I got rid of it and went to camillus. Easy to sharpen and it held an edge real well (and it was cheaper). Other than that, I like Buck knives.

I voted "other" because I consider Spyderco to be at the top of the line. My choice...the Spyderco A.T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    When I was in Iraq I bought one of those "tactical" Ka-bar knives with the tanto tip and even though the thing was tough as nails I never could get it sharp enough for my liking. I got rid of it and went to camillus. Easy to sharpen and it held an edge real well (and it was cheaper). Other than that, I like Buck knives.
    Are you referring to the KA-BAR "MULE" tanto ?

Personally I've found mine to hold an edge better than most. AUS-8A stainless is a perfectly decent inexpensive steel for the budget buyer, assuming your referring to the "MULE TANTO" by KA-BAR.

I've cut through aluminum, hard plastic, coragated cardboard, paper, and even some critters. It's still cutting like new and takes to a diamond sharpner very easily. We were cutting Gatorade bottles like butter with it to make drinking cups.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Emerson....
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Busse combat knives are the best fixed blade knives I have ever owned. Pricey though. Folders: Benchmade axis lock

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Are you referring to the KA-BAR "MULE" tanto ?

Personally I've found mine to hold an edge better than most. AUS-8A stainless is a perfectly decent inexpensive steel for the budget buyer, assuming your referring to the "MULE TANTO" by KA-BAR.

I've cut through aluminum, hard plastic, coragated cardboard, paper, and even some critters. It's still cutting like new and takes to a diamond sharpner very easily. We were cutting Gatorade bottles like butter with it to make drinking cups.
    No, I think it's listed as "Short KA-BAR Tanto, Serrated" on their website. It had a cool sheath though. All other Ka-Bar knives I've owned were of excellent quality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links