What Brand is Best-Knives

This is a discussion on What Brand is Best-Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dmupton It doesn't get any better than Strider....sorry. I've read some very very disparaging things about Mr. Strider, and they begin with ...

View Poll Results: What is the best brand of knife?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sog

19 7.76%
  • Benchmade

79 32.24%
  • Cold Steel

14 5.71%
  • Kabar

8 3.27%
  • Gerber

17 6.94%
  • Crkt-Columbia River

14 5.71%
  • Kershaw

32 13.06%
  • Buck

9 3.67%
  • Schrade

3 1.22%
  • Other

50 20.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Brand is Best-Knives

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmupton View Post
    It doesn't get any better than Strider....sorry.
    I've read some very very disparaging things about Mr. Strider, and they begin with a claim that he postures himself as a SF soldier but didn't really serve in that capacity or something, and that he himself is a felon and cannot even carry concealed weapons legally.

PLEASE TAKE THAT AS IFFY: It's information that I've read posted on the internet, so I have not personally vetted it. It was, however, accompanied by vows by several people claiming to be or have been in the military, who consider Mick Strider dishonorable and won't purchase his products.

Take it for what it is. I make no warranty about the accuracy of the information, but I give credence to the source from which I read it (which I believe was on Bladeforums but I'm no longer sure).

Here is one such source from a quick google search:
    discussion of the case of Mick Strider

Also, although I don't own any (too expensive for me), I agree with the person who said that Chris Reeve knives belong on the list.

In fact, I have never heard so many people so ardently state that one man's knives are the best to be found on earth than Chris Reeve -- and all that for ONE KNIFE: the SEBENZA.

People swear by these knives like nothing else I've ever read sworn by.

If I suddenly found $400 or so on the street, I would be mighty tempted to get myself a Sebenza.

2. Remove Ads

Knife Questions?

Question for this very informed group; which quality folder has an easy to open mechanism? If someone has an injury or just stiff finger joints a knife that doesn't require a pair of pliers to open is important.

I had (and lost) a Kershaw Leek assist-opener that I liked and wish to replace. My Blur is larger/heavier than I like and my Delica requires manipulating the blade with the thumb-hole, not anyways the simplest or fastest motion when under stress.

And a separate question, how do you get a razor edge on a carry folder knife? I have not been able to get that last N'th degree of honing to the blade using DMT diamond plates and a leather strop (an old belt glued to a board). I've even tried working to 800 grit sandpaper on 12" plate glass. I would think that ANY steel would take the edge, with the better steel able to hold it longer.

In 'Nam I carried an issued Survival Knife and was able to get an edge to dry shave with, using only the stone that was included and my boot leather. The MP's confiscated it from my duffle bag when I rotated home.

EMERSON
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I simply dislike the "assisted opening" knives of Kershaw (and others I guess), but Spydercos are not difficult to open. The thumb hole may require dexterity, but not strength (and many of their pivots are adjustable).

But for easiest opening, I would recommend anything with a "Wave" feature, like the Delica 4 Wave or the Endura 4 Wave by Spyderco.

Also super easy to open are any of the Benchmade Axis-lock knives. You can generally pull with the thumb and index finger on the lock while the knife is closed, and the blade will swing out with a flick of the wrist. When you're really in practice, you can open them almost silently that way.

I gotta say I have carried a Spyderco Endura for about the last 2 years. This thing has been there and back and is still a great knife. If I had to recommend a knike it would deff be a Spyderco of some sort.
    Praise the Lord....Pass the ammunition

Joe

spyderco

Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake View Post
    Auto opener man got to love utah
    Not sure about Utah and auto-openers. Last time I checked there was also a federal law against autos except for LEOs, military, and disabled individuals that only had the use of one hand. Might want to check it out. Benchmade with axis lock, and I'm sure others with assisted opening, etc., are very quick to get open one-handed without violating law. Don't get me wrong, I think autos are neat also. It would be a shame to lose your CCW for carrying and/or possessing a switchblade or "auto-opener." Some statutes even have words to the effect that knives that can be 'opened' by inertia or gravity also fall into this category.

Just my .02.

I have a simple, inexpensive CRKT. Costs about $30 new and does everything I need it to. A guy I work with has a $180 Benchmade. His is a much better knife.

However, he worries about damaging his blade. I don't really worry much about mine. If I let a friend use it and he messes it up, it's not a huge loss.

If I was a soldier in Iraq and needed a never-fail knife, I'd want the benchmade. As a regular-Joe civilian I'd rather have basic knife and a spare $150. "Best" depends on your requirements.

i'm a Spyderco man myself.

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    I'm fond of Boker knives, I'd put them at the top of an economy quality list. My auto conversion Boker is a daily carry, daily worked-with knife. Its blade holds an edge well enough for my standards, and was a third the price of a comparable Benchmade.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Knife

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Looking for best quality brand.
    I would go with Busse as the best brand of knife.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I'm left handed, and SOG was the only knife I found that had the thumb on both sides of the blade, and allowed me to swap the clip to the other side of the knife to allow the clip to work correctly in my LH back pocket.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Benchmade

Benchmade gets my vote. Just picked up a benchmade griptillian a couple of weeks ago at Cabelas and I'm very impressed. I really like the locking blade design and it is incredibly well made. I should have spent the money a long time ago.
    Muskiehunter-

Of what you have listed, I would go with Benchmade and Kershaw. Keep in mind that both companies have different levels of product; some of their knives are made in China and aren't as good as their American made products. Both have stellar customer service as well. I don't know if you've seen them or not, but Spyderco's are also excellent knives. They look a little funny, but their ergonomics and cutting ability are outstanding, some of the best in the business. Good luck in your search.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I'm left handed, and SOG was the only knife I found that had the thumb on both sides of the blade, and allowed me to swap the clip to the other side of the knife to allow the clip to work correctly in my LH back pocket.
    Benchmade axis lock knives & many of the Spydercos are LH friendly.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links