For LEOs: OC Delivery System

This is a discussion on For LEOs: OC Delivery System within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In your experience what would be the best way you have experienced? MODS: If this has been answered in the past, please delete and kick ...

View Poll Results: For LEOs: Best OC Delivery System

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spray

2 9.52%
  • Stream

18 85.71%
  • Foam

1 4.76%
  • Gel

0 0%

Thread: For LEOs: OC Delivery System

VIP Member

For LEOs: OC Delivery System

In your experience what would be the best way you have experienced?
    MODS: If this has been answered in the past, please delete and kick my butt. I did a search but could not find it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm not an LEO so I didn't answer but I liked Fox Labs Medium FOG when I worked security

It's what I have now
    Last edited by pgrass101; August 17th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    I voted for stream,and I'll tell you why.

Every time that I have seen it used was in a knock down drag out with several people present or a lone person that is acting the fool due to drugs alcohol or rage.

When a cop sprays someone, there is an excellent chance that someone else is closeby...usually other cops. You don't want a big spray pattern because you will overspray and get some of your buddies. The foam can be wiped off and thrown back at you. I haven tired the gel or even seen it used.

As it is, just transporting someone that has been sprayed will usually somehow migrate to the officer that is handling them. I cant tell you how many times my face got numb or my eyes started burning from just standing by someone that had been sprayed awhile ago.

Also, a thin stream is more concentrated. When I spray you I will usually aim right between the eyes if possible. If you are doing contortions and making life difficult, I'll just aim for the head, because it will migrate to the eyes.

I figure that an LEO situation will be different than someone that just wants to defend themselves and for some people a spray pattern may work better. Its kind of like a rifle or a shotgun. One is easier to hit with, the other concentrates more on target.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    stream. You'll still spray yourself and others too, just to a lesser extent.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Stream. It's a better all around option for OC. You can "aim" it to some degree, get it to your adversary from a greater distance, get a more concentrated effect on your adversary, and keep your overspray to a minimum. Most LEOs in this area use the stream type so they can keep the possibility of getting themselves hit to a minimum.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    Most LEOs in this area use the stream type so they can keep the possibility of getting themselves hit to a minimum.
    Sounds good in theory but it never fails that if anybody around you ever uses it, you'll get a taste of it somehow...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Stream, better control
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I'm no LEO, but I think that anyone who carries OC should buy extra of what you carry and try it...how else will you know how it works?

I have the 'stream' type of OC (DPS)...I have used several containers to see how far it will spray and how to control it...and yes, it will sometimes get a little in your own eyes...DAMN!...that stuff really burns

If you used some to avoid a serious confrontation, could you still function after getting a 'little' in your own eyes? Only practice will give you that experience.

OMO...your approach may differ...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you used some to avoid a serious confrontation, could you still function after getting a 'little' in your own eyes? Only practice will give you that experience.
    And thats the main reason I dont think its the best idea for self defense, or believe that the average CCW'er needs a use of force ladder.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    If you used some to avoid a serious confrontation, could you still function after getting a 'little' in your own eyes? Only practice will give you that experience
    Yep.

I'd be in foul mood for awhile though...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Links