Benchmade metal comparison - Page 2

Benchmade metal comparison

This is a discussion on Benchmade metal comparison within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad I could help Sheepdog!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Glad I could help Sheepdog!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I had a B/M Grip. It had the modified sheepsfoot, black coated with serrations. I liked the knife, but couldn't help but think that the handle just wasn't that well built. It felt like it wouldn't hold up.

I'm not knocking B/Ms, mind you, because I did trade it & another knife for a B/M HK model. That knife, I really like. It has thick SS liners, rubber-like handles, & wicked Snody designed modified tanto blade with partial serrations.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

DC Founder
    I carry a Benchmade Stryker. It is by far the best knife I own. It sharpens easily, keeps an edge very well, even under heavy use.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

How would S30V steel compare to the others (like D2)?? Ive been looking at this 630 skirmish Benchmade (blue-box) and it has S30V for the blade.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=630

Been saving up for a High quality knife, but so far in my searches, thats my favorite. Love the aesthetics, the blade type and length, and as far as I can tell, its both high-quality in the blade and handle.

Opinions?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    S30V & D2 are different types of steel, in that S30V is a stainless steel & D2's a tool steel (High carbon content & prone to rust).

Please keep in mind that "stainless steel" is really stain "resistant." S30V is not a high resistant steel, but definitely more resistant than a tool steel like D2.

In a nutshell; S30V is one of the best stainless steels out there. It's typically (Although not exclusively) used in high stainless steel knives. D2 is a top tool steel, but is prone to rust if not propertly taken care of.

Both steels will take a sharp edge & hold it for a relatively long time. Although S30V is easier to sharpen, they're both harder to sharpen (Due to their hardness) than say, 440C (A stainless steel) or 1095 (A high carbon steel).

Hope that helps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    In blade materials the starting point is 440 stainless.
    It should also be mentioned that 440 is also what those $0.99 junkers at the gas station are made of. 440C really should have gotten some cool trade name to keep it from being lumped in with the butter-knife varieties. I've had several knives given to me or that I bought as loaners that advertised 440, and the edge rolled so badly on the hone that they were truly disposable. 440C blades, like the Griptilian I carry, the Mini-Griptilian (day-glo green) that my wife carries, and a few others are on par with the AUS6/AUS8 blades I've owned in terms of the balance of edge keeping and sharpening.

The AUS6/8 blades are harder to sharpen, but when not abused, will keep the edge for a long time. 440C is much easier to sharpen, but needs it about every 2-4 weeks of moderate use. If you're using a knife to open boxes that may have staples in them, or other tasks that will tear any blade up, go with the 440C; if you only cut less damaging things, (meat, leather, rope, whatever) go with the AUS6 or AUS8 and expect to lose it before it really needs a major sharpening. If you actually manage to hang on to it long enough to need more than a quick touch-up, invest in a diamond hone.

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    It should also be mentioned that 440 is also what those $0.99 junkers at the gas station are made of.
    Good point. (No pun intended)
    While it probably wanders onto another topic, and an old thread. I believe in having "defense" knives carried like a handgun. Then knock around knives, for the boxxes, general use, etc.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links