Benchmade metal comparison

This is a discussion on Benchmade metal comparison within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everybody. I am just hanging around, minding my own business. Anyway, I just got a Benchmade Mini-Ambush as a gift from my uncle (he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade metal comparison

Benchmade metal comparison

Hello everybody. I am just hanging around, minding my own business. Anyway, I just got a Benchmade Mini-Ambush as a gift from my uncle (he just wanted an excuse to buy another pocket knife). This pocket knife is pretty much NIB quality. My question is this, I have only know Schrade and Kershaw, never owned a Benchmade. Also, as far as metal quality, I am usually familiar with 440C. This blade is AUS-8.

The question is this: What are the differences (if any) between 440C and AUS-8. Am I going to like AUS-8? I like it because it is open-assisted and because it has a serrated blade.

In case you're wondering, I am not really going to put it through heavy use. It is just going to be a plain jane pocket knife for a college student.

2. Remove Ads

I just wanted to add another NOTE:

Benchmade Customer Service is AWESOME! I just got off what could be the SHORtest customer service call ever. I only called to see if there was a large clip available for it. They switched me to warranty department, the polite lady says, "lets see if the regular Ambush clip will fit the mini-Ambush, what's your address". I gave her the address and thats it. No holding, no serial number for the knife, not even a credit card number to pay for shipping. Sweet!

Well, I just talked to my friend after work. he gave me the info on the differences of material quality. AUS-8 uses more alloy and is harder to field sharpen than 440c. However, it holds its sharpness longer and is widely used by many manufacturers such as BOKER, Kershaw, Emerson, SOG, etc. So, pretty much I got a pretty good blade as a gift. Not too shabby.

Mo
    AUS-8 is a pretty good steel, seems to stand above 440C in quality, but below steels like D2 and the more exotic alloys. Lots of Cold Steel knives are AUS-8, and apaprently Benchmade as well. :)

Benchmade is top quality if you are sticking to their non-red box products. Even those are alright but they are Asian imports hopefully made to Benchmade specs... Hopefully because like everything from China you need to trust that the material certs and contracts you get signed are worth the paper they are printed on when coming from China. AUS 8 though is done right there in Oregon.

I visited them years ago to see if I could do some screw machine work. I work for the largest precision Swiss turning house in the world and saw a fit with their quality. They are so dedicated to their quality that, alas for me, they invested in their own Swiss lathes and machinists. If you got something from Benchmade made in the USA I would say it is top quality.

What is said above about the steel is the same thing I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Benchmade is top quality if you are sticking to their non-red box products.
    Well, bad news, this one is a Red Box and made in Taiwan. But still looks pretty decent. But I went to the website, I am starting to gain an interest and maybe look for a Blue or Black box Benchmade. The one in mind is a Griptilian Tanto. Spyderco's design never really made me want to go "oooooh" and most mid-size Kershaw's that I have seen are in the skeletized grip. I got tired of Gerber's and their plastic washers. The only other knife I really liked and is discontinued are the Schrades.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    AUS-8 is a pretty good steel, seems to stand above 440C in quality, but below steels like D2 and the more exotic alloys. Lots of Cold Steel knives are AUS-8, and apaprently Benchmade as well. :)

But D2 is a tool steel, subject more to rusting than 440C is.
    I've had positive experience with the Benchmade knives in 440C, including several Mini Griptilians. They take a really really nice grabby edge in that steel.

To help in similar questions, if any of you "knife guys" knows of a quick and dirty reference to steel types and their qualities relating to use in knives, I'd take it for my bookmarks.
    What Would Gumby Do?

This link is spyderco, the first and easiest to find. http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/

In blade materials the starting point is 440 stainless. Steel is an alloy of iron, carbon and various other metals (Ni, Cd, Cr, etc.) The manufacturing of steel is a balance of how hard it can be forged without being too britle. Softer steel sharpens easily but doesnt hold an edge long and wears more quickly. (Think of your old case or schrade pocket knives.

Custom knife makers gravitate to ATS-34 or Aus-8 steels for the balance. The following is a list of typical steels found in tactical pocket knives, the "best" (in durability and price) from top to bottom:

M2 or D2 - Tool steel, literally metal that is made to cut metal.
    VG-10 - Super hard edge last a long time, a bit brittle
    ATS-34 - Great blend, more dificult to sharpen than 440 but hi quality
    Aus-8 - Similar properties to ATS, not as hard, another great blend
    440-c - An improved hardness stainless steel
    440 stainless- doesnt rust, good quality, suitable for most uses

This list isnt every posibility, but covers 95% of knives for sale today.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

One more thing.
    I bought a Benchmade model 710 that has M2 steel in 1998. I carry use the knife regularly and its still sharp.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I have been carrying a benchmade griptillian (full size) folder for over 5 years. It has the 440c steel blade, and definitely america made.
    The best pocket folder I've ever owned...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I really liked this Benchmade. I stopped by the shop to look at the fullsize Ambush. Man, that is too big for my needs. I am glad I have the mini version instead.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I have been carrying a benchmade griptillian (full size) folder for over 5 years. It has the 440c steel blade, and definitely america made.
    The Grip- series is definitely a badass one. I favor the mini-Griptilian, though, because the standard one is a bit large.

There now is also a fixed-blade Griptilian. I want one!

Thank you Kylebce, your short version was what I needed, and the link is great too. Call both bookmarked.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I agree. I have a lot of knives and my Griptillian is my favorite carry knife. I've been considering a Lone Wolf T1. I have a Lone Wolf Paul Presto but, it's my Sunday go to church pocket knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links