My soon to be Gerber LMF II ASEK trial

This is a discussion on My soon to be Gerber LMF II ASEK trial within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I'm planning on doing a 4 day hike September into October (coming up next month) so I thought I'd trial(unofficially) a new knife. I've ...

Thread: My soon to be Gerber LMF II ASEK trial

My soon to be Gerber LMF II ASEK trial

Well, I'm planning on doing a 4 day hike September into October (coming up next month) so I thought I'd trial(unofficially) a new knife. I've heard mixed reviews(good and BAD) about Gerber, but nothing bad specifically about the LMF II. The specs and the "good" reviews I've seen so far lead me to believe the LMF II may fit my needs.

So...I'm making the leap of faith so to speak and plan on using that as my primary camp/whatever needed tool. I'll let y'all know if it fails miserably under stress.

I've had folks recently tell me to just go with the "tried and true" kabars... The problem I have with that is that I have one. The problem I see (for me anyway) is the inherently flawed handle. They were flawed from the beginning and never resolved. They're round, and don't have much by way of grip. So the problem I always ran into when it came down to chopping and/or hacking needs...it tended to rotate in my hand which effectively meant that the blade was going into whatever I was cutting at an angle, thereby prematurely damaging the blade and/or wearing the edge faster than normal.

I'll probably do another 4 day towards end of Nov. If the LMF holds up this first trip...it will get to travel again for my Nov one.

Although, In my searching I did find a rather interesting story(used as a good review). Although I know not of it's truthfulness:
    Taken from here (10/31/05): http://www.correctionsone.com/produc...eases/1338251/

Just how important these performance features are for Gerber's new tactical knife can be seen in comments from soldiers using the LMF 2. A retired SEAL, who is presently an independent contractor in Iraq, for example, gave high marks to the new knife after he had several tactical officers conduct rigorous testing. "One classic story is of a sniper team in Iraq that used the knife to knock a hole through a solid brick wall to create a shooting lane to the intended target," the SEAL said. "While the job took a while to complete, using both ends of the weapon, minor damage to the blade incurred that was quickly fixed by the sharpener on the blade's sheath."

The LMF 2's buttcap also was put through its paces during this trial test. "The skull crusher is a favorite for every use, including minimum non-lethal force control of prisoners (arm bars or pressure holds), breaching vehicle windows and basic locks, and, of course, lethal hand-to-hand combat," the SEAL continued. He added that the knife's rubber-coated hand grip creates a secure hold on the blade during the worst conditions.

Blade durability was a highlight of the LMF 2's tour of duty so far in Iraq. "It (the blade) needed hardly any maintenance, and stayed sharp without having to take time out of my day to sharpen it," the SEAL reveals. Such accolades don't get any better when you consider that the LMF 2 was deployed in more than 60 training exercises and 130 world combat missions. Sometimes, a knife can be the best tool or weapon, if not the only one, a soldier has at a given moment. Perhaps the SEAL sums it up best: "I would hate to be on E&E without my LMF 2."

Bob Galvin is a Portland, Oregon freelance writer, based in Portland, Oregon, who writes about various law enforcement/tactical/military tools and technologies, and their applications.
    I don't mean to start any sort of never-ending this knife vs that knife thread. This is all just my opinion and I plan on abusing the heck out of this knife next month.

btw... what is a heck? Who started it? is there a heck? besides being a euphemism for hell? All references contradict. Some say it was first recorded in 1865...others cite 1887...NONE cite where and/or actually used it, they just say it was recorded x date.

I know i know...rabbit trailing again.

pic added by QKS because everybody will be squawking for pics real soon.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I am curious how that knife performs. Definitely give us a review of its performance when you get back.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Ok, now I have to plug the company I ordered the knife from...(well "have to" is a bit strong).

I ordered my knife from The Knife Center online (www.knifecenter.com) yesterday morning and scheduled shipping via UPS Ground. I just checked the tracking on UPS....it's already delivered to my home...

Talk about fast service... - coming from one who's had a string of bad luck lately

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I myself am in the military and a good friend of mine just bought the ASEK LMF II and we will be putting it through the ringer soon enough. I'll also be getting one if his performs as well as we think. Whatever happens, I'll try to put up what happens on here.

RLS

The Knife Center

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ok, now I have to plug the company I ordered the knife from...(well "have to" is a bit strong).

I ordered my knife from The Knife Center online (www.knifecenter.com) yesterday morning and scheduled shipping via UPS Ground. I just checked the tracking on UPS....it's already delivered to my home...

Talk about fast service... - coming from one who's had a string of bad luck lately
    I have dealt with The Knife Center several times.
    I made a return of a purchase, no questions asked.
    Good prices, fast delivery, great service.

I'll definitely order from The Knife Center again.
    RLS

reviews please,,,nice looking blade,,ive also ordered from the knife center,,very good shop,,

Lead Moderator
    Be sure to give a review. I have used a kbar knife (mil. issue style) for a few years. Lots of chopping and general use. I never had a problem the blade turning , though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Nice knife.
    There is a difference between combat & camping though.
    If you intend to build a shelter and get yourself a firewood supply with the Gerber LMF II...it's a little short bladed for those tasks which will result in a lot of additional expended energy on your part.
    The knife may hold up admirably but, will you?? is the big question.
    Any knife (for sure) is better than no knife at all for basic survival situations.
    You might be able to make a knife with an "almost 5" blade" work for you but, at a great added time, labor, and energy cost to you.
    Just some friendly advice.
    Were I you...I would either take the Gerber LMF II plus a machete for chopping and shelter building or take a much larger Bowie and a smaller high quality folder for your finer cutting and food prep/miscellaneous tasks.
    Now if your original intention was to carry the Gerber plus a camp ax or machete then forget that I said anything.
    While it is possible to "choke up" on the blade of a really large knife in order to accomplish finer cutting chores it's very difficult to make a small blade do the work of a large one. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Nice knife.
    There is a difference between combat & camping though.
    If you intend to build a shelter and get yourself a firewood supply with the Gerber LMF II...it's a little short bladed for those tasks which will result in a lot of additional expended energy on your part.
    The knife may hold up admirably but, will you?? is the big question.
    Any knife (for sure) is better than no knife at all for basic survival situations.
    You might be able to make a knife with an "almost 5" blade" work for you but, at a great added time, labor, and energy cost to you.
    Just some friendly advice.
    Were I you...I would either take the Gerber LMF II plus a machete for chopping and shelter building or take a much larger Bowie and a smaller high quality folder for your finer cutting and food prep/miscellaneous tasks.
    Now if your original intention was to carry the Gerber plus a camp ax or machete then forget that I said anything.
    While it is possible to "choke up" on the blade of a really large knife in order to accomplish finer cutting chores it's very difficult to make a small blade do the work of a large one. Just FYI.
    Points well taken... and I had wondered about that. I may end up taking my kukri with me too just in case I need some heavy duty chopping and the lmf doesn't hold up.. What's that saying?...Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. I just hate carrying the extra weight.

-The Mist (2007)

Fixed Blade Option

Packinnova - When I hike and camp I am usually prepared for fuel and tend to gather felled wood for fires so I don't carry a large blade - just to keep the weight down. But I do like having a fixed blade with me just in case. I have a K-bar ( a bit too large for my hiking needs)and I seriously considered the gerber model you referenced. I ended up selecting the SOG Seal Pup. I also just ordered the optional nylon sheath, which holds the fixed blad as well as a multi-tool.

Good luck with your choice - JK

Link to the SOG Seal Pup http://www.sogknives.com/store/sealpup.html

Link to the optional nylon sheath
    http://sogknives.com/store/P37B.html

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would have a hard time believing that the knife was used to bust through a concrete wall and the sharpner was able to fix the damage to the blade.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    I would have a hard time believing that the knife was used to bust through a concrete wall and the sharpner was able to fix the damage to the blade.
    Yeah that's why I linked to the story and said I didn't know if it was true or not. You have to make your own decision on that. Personally, Unless they're going to give me another one free...I'm not going to try to bust through concrete with mine. I may chop up a tree or two for firewood and/or shelter needs, but concrete is out...Unless of course someone from Gerber wants to step in here and pony up a new one if I tear mine up?

btw - 2 weeks and counting and I'm OUTTA HERE! Woohooo! Just checked with the local rangers down there too and my water supply should be good even though there's been a drought. So on the plus side...I'm carry much less water - YAY! Extra water weight really sucks.

-The Mist (2007)

Well, I said I would let you all know how it held up...
    MIGHTY FINE KNIFE! It's officially adopted as my new trail knife. I was out in GWNF and it handled quite nicely. I chopped firewood with it via both hacking with it like a hatchet and hammering against the spine with a rock to cut up larger logs. Same day as the firewood gathering I cleaned the trout I caught (during which I actually cut through the fish to the ROCK underneath it). During the entire time I didn't sharpen the blade and it still held a sharp edge and it didn't chip or dent either. I also used the flat top of the "skull crusher" as a hammer for tent spikes.

All in all I'm extremely impressed with how it held up. Between the way the knife itself held up and the multitude of carrying configurations they designed it for...it gets both my thumbs up.

-The Mist (2007)

Links