Tazers and batons

This is a discussion on Tazers and batons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering how many members carry or have any thoughts on tazers, stun guns, batons, and other less lethal weapons?...

Thread: Tazers and batons

Tazers and batons

Just wondering how many members carry or have any thoughts on tazers, stun guns, batons, and other less lethal weapons?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

2. Remove Ads

Impact weapons and OC. Personally, I don't feel anything else is a legitimately combative tool. Tasers and stunguns may work against an agressive unarmed individual, or the Taser against someone with a wepon if you have armed backup yourself, but in any other circumstance they are pretty "inadequate".

Fox Pepper Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Impact weapons and OC. Personally, I don't feel anything else is a legitimately combative tool. Tasers and stunguns may work against an agressive unarmed individual, or the Taser against someone with a wepon if you have armed backup yourself, but in any other circumstance they are pretty "inadequate".
    ...especially if you hit someone like me with it...(used to play with them in college - I can take a 300k hit and keep on coming), but all that discussion is in an older thread somewhere. I don't believe tasers and/or stun guns are an adequate combative tool (at least not one I would bet my life on 100% of the time).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I think every tool has its place, and some are more effective than others in certain scenarios. Sometimes less-lethal tools are necessary when/where you can't legally carry a firearm, or if it's too dangerous to use a firearm (heavy crowd, poor backstop, etc). I'm ASP certified, but I rarely carry my baton.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    have a baton, take it in the car when we go camping or on long road trips in case I need to bust out a window or some other use
    (currently in Texas we can only have a club/baton in vehicle while traveling since they fall under the same weapons restrictions as handguns w/o a CHL, that is until Sep 1st new law takes affect and we can have batons and handguns in our cars at anytime w/o a permit)

my bro has thought about getting a taser for his wife (school teacher) since she could keep one with her at school, I just wish the state legislature would let CHLs carry in schools and that we could not worry about baton and blade length restrictions, if they would require us to take baton cert I'd do it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Exactly! Tasers are control devices, not weapons. Stun guns are not even worth consideration.

(oh, and batons stop being "less lethal" when you strike a "non-approved" target )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    right on Kempo, nice addition
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I generally carry an ASP in my bag.

Being 6'4" 250lbs it would be very difficult for me to prove I was in fear for my life from an unarmed attacker. The ASP gives me the advantage in such an attack without going to far up the force continuum. If the ASP comes out and the attacker goes for a weapon all bets are off.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

My carry flashlight doubles as a Kubaton and I sometimes carry OC spray but currently I am out of OC. Need to replace that.

While I do carry a tactical folding knife, it is more often used as a utility tool.

I certainly wouldn't use it as a weapon except if I was unable to use my pistol. Bringing the knife to bear is only reserved for deadly force situations and in that case the firearm is a much better choice.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links