New policy at the office.

This is a discussion on New policy at the office. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walking into the office, I noticed a new sign listing the prohibited items... the new line said. "No cutting instruments with a blade longer than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New policy at the office.

New policy at the office.

Walking into the office, I noticed a new sign listing the prohibited items... the new line said.

"No cutting instruments with a blade longer than three (3) inches."

Normally I carry a Kershaw Blur... and a small Case... and a Gerber Multi-tool.

So, I head to the Chief Security Officer to ask why...
    I pull out my 'cutting instruments' and ask him, where did this new policy come from, and just what was his thought process.

Well, it was directed by management, not his call, blah blah balh... the Gerber is fine, the Case bi-folder is fine... the Kershaw has got to go back out to the car.

So, I have a new Kershaw Scallion, and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Picked it up at a local shop for $37 that afternoon. I have no idea if I got a good deal, or riped off. It's a Kershaw, so I trust the brand... anyway, just needed to vent.

2. Remove Ads

Those rules are for the safety of all. Everyone knows you can't kill someone with a 2.5" blade...
    Honestly, I'd ignore the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    Walking into the office, I noticed a new sign listing the prohibited items... the new line said.

Thank god it does not list guns. I would not complain or they will be next on the list.
    Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    Beer the cause of and solution to all lifes small problems.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

The list used to say...
    Prohibited Items
    Firearms and ammunition
    Explosives, incendiary substances, radioactive materials, highly volatile materials, or other hazardous materials
    Contraband or other illegal substances
    Personally owned photographic or electronic equipment including microcomputers, reproduction or recording devices, televisions or radios.

The cutting instruments with a blade longer than three (3) inches... is just the only new part. Not that it's a big deal, security is pretty tight.

I keep a 4" Cold Steel in my right boot and a Kel-Tec PK32 in my left boot most of the time now that I have to conceal at the office. They think I stopped carrying completely and when it comes up in conversation I just say it is a stupid choice by management that could cause a really big law suit if the SHTF and one or more of the office employees were hurt or killed. I hate to be that way but cannot afford to be unarmed in my line of work regardless of what management thinks. And, what they don't know could save their lives one day.

And I usually keep a recorder in my pocket that can do up to 10 hours...comes in real handy in meetings.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

The list used to say...
    Prohibited Items
    Firearms and ammunition
    Explosives, incendiary substances, radioactive materials, highly volatile materials, or other hazardous materials
    Contraband or other illegal substances
    Personally owned photographic or electronic equipment including microcomputers, reproduction or recording devices, televisions or radios.

The cutting instruments with a blade longer than three (3) inches... is just the only new part. Not that it's a big deal, security is pretty tight.
    Good grief...ya think they were specific enough? Lol - no radioactive materials...WTH are you working...Detrick?

edit: Nevermind don't answer that...could violate the forum rules and my post would get busted again...

edit again: Hey wait a minute...so I guess those new fangled watches with the glowing hands and numbers are out huh? (tritium)
    Last edited by packinnova; August 24th, 2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: hey wait a minute
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would ask what precipitated this change...are they afraid of MS-13 gang members getting access to the facility?? If so, do you think they would follow the sign (is it also posted in Spanish?)

Otherwise, this looks like a solution looking for a problem.

I work for a Goverment Contractor in the Central Maryland area...
    I'm not worried about any type of gang threat at all, we have a real security force... I'm not talking $5 an hour rent a cops, but the real deal pros. (Think Blackwater) No, our threat will be a insider, unfortunately as tight as our security is, there is nothing at all to stop an employee that has gone postal. Even with on sight security, 3 to 5 minutes at a minimum to respond... a lot of folk can be very dead in 5 minutes.

VIP Member
    "incendiary substances"
    So where do you guys park your cars?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    So ya'll have to throw away all your big scary office scissors, huh? That's too bad. At least the new approved scissors will have bright colored handles so they won't get lost.

At least you can still keep the banned stuff in your car, right?

At least you can keep the stapler...those 'weapons' can propel staples for quite a distance...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    So ya'll have to throw away all your big scary office scissors, huh? That's too bad. At least the new approved scissors will have bright colored handles so they won't get lost.

At least you can still keep the banned stuff in your car, right?

If you park in BFE out beyond security... sure.

(You still have Maryland State laws which forbid the transportation of firearms/ammo except directly to or from a range, etc... )

i also work at a place like this , we would use to leave that kinda stuff in the cars ,but now to even get of the main road into the plant you and your car are searched.. i feel your pain and know what your going through. we can how ever have knives if there work related

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    We can't even have those little key chain Swiss Army knives that have a small blade, scissors, screwdriver, and toothpick. I couldn't believe how stupid that is. If you stabbed someone with it the blade would fold over and cut your own finger. The knife is best used as a fingernail cleaner.

Our company picnic is next month and I'm going to proudly wear my brand new "Celebrate Diversity" t-shirt.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Our company picnic is next month and I'm going to proudly wear my brand new "Celebrate Diversity" t-shirt.
    I assume you mean this one?

http://www.stanley2002.org/Images/ce...ediversity.jpg

I've wanted to wear my 2nd Amendment shirt on office picnic days. Haven't actually done it yet, though.

http://blog.stanford.edu/unofficial/...allery-835.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links