Tell me about Emerson Knives

This is a discussion on Tell me about Emerson Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in a police academy and currently I only have one work knife that I don't consider a collectable. Its a Spyderco Delicia with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Emerson Knives

Tell me about Emerson Knives

I'm in a police academy and currently I only have one work knife that I don't consider a collectable. Its a Spyderco Delicia with a black coated blade and an OD green handle. I like it but I don't want an OD green handle showing on my blue uniform. I'd also like to get a wave feature and a larger blade for duty use.

I'm looking at the ECBF CQC-13 for my primary knife. It has the bowie style blade. I love the size and the ergonomics. My local LE shop has it for $189.99. But the liner lock has me concerned because the lock-up seemed a little loose. Is this normal? There is a screw that could be tightened. Would this help any? IS the Emerson liner lock up to par of an EDC knife?

Other options are the UTCOM CQC-11, CQC-8, and Commanders. I also like the Mini Commander or Mini CQC-7B for optional off duty carry. But the ECBF CQC-13 is at the top of my list for my next knife.

What are your opinions/experience on the Emerson line of knives, specifically the CQC-13 (Bowie).

http://www.emersonknives.com/HardWear_index.html
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Emerson knives are great. The Commander's probably his best design, but CQC-13 is a neat blade style.

Personally, I like tantos & they're phenominal for their stabbing/puncturing strength. I'm not sure I know what you're talking about on the "looseness" of the liner lock. Maybe check out another one. Emersons are made to take punishment & last. I have a '99 Emerson CQC-7 that is SMOOTH. The action actually feels better than my '06 mini-CQC7 (Both are partially serrated).

Good luck on your choice.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Well maybe the screw was loosened to make opening seem smoother and all I will need to do is tighten it a little.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I love my CQC-7, carry it almost all the time (unless dress or situation doesn't allow).

I have a bunch of other knives to, but my CQC-7 keeps ending up my favorite!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Emersons are nice, but...

You're right on the liners, they have a history of being less than perfect in production models.

Flathead screws- "easy to adjust in the field", also easy to bugger-up. At this stage of the market, they could offer better.

All in all, overpriced. If you have'em and like'em, then by all means, but there is better value for the money.

scout, I would get a Gen 4 Delica, with wave- the Spydie wave isn't as destructive to your pockets, and you won't cry if you loose/damage it. If you'll die without a black blade, you can disassemble the knife yourself and have the blade DuraCoated, or (more durable) teflon coated by http://www.airborncoatings.com/ here in OKC. They are good guys and do good work.

+1 on the Spyderco Gen 4 Delica, with wave!! Great knife for the $$!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Spyderco's are excellent for the money.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Save your money and just get yourself either a Delica 4 with the Wave feature, or an Endura 4 with the Wave feature. Both are Spydercos, licensed to use the Emerson Wave design. Both will not fail you. Both are FAR less expensive than a name-brand Emerson--and Spyderco still is a VERY respectable name brand, itself.

I really don't think that an Emerson knife will do anything more for you to justify the added price, compared to the Spydercos.

ditto on the Spyderco knives, their quality is hard to beat and the price won't drain your bank account. Emersons are nice but I will NEVER buy another knife with a liner-lock.

You might also check out the Spyderco P'kal which also has the wave feature and has a lock that looks to be similar in operation to the Benchmade Axis. From what I've heard, it's an awesome knife. I fully intend to get one when I have the money to spend.

If you want a black blade, Krylon is your friend
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I handled a few of the Sog folders aswell as a some Benchmades and Blackhawk knives. I found the lock-up on the Blackhawks to be extremely solid and the overall build quality seemed very high for the cost of the knife.

Emerson is one of the best available. I won't own Strider or SOG for personal reasons.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    Emerson is one of the best available. I won't own Strider or SOG for personal reasons.
    I was wondering when that was going to come up.

It's amazing how one persons favorite (Or one of his favorite) knife maker can be anothers bane. Such as Emerson folders. I guess it can happen, but I've never even heard of an Emerson closing when it's not supposed to. I have had, seen, & heard about folders that have closed on someone, so I understand the knock against liner locks in general.

As someone wrote earlier, there's really no "best."
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I got an Emerson designed Benchmade 975 (3-7/8" Tanto ATS-34) with G-10 scales when I was 14. 10 years later the liner lock (titanium) has never failed. Great knife. It has cut a lot of stuff.

Austin

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    A friend of mine showed me a GERBER AUTO <Emerson design> that he has. Black aluminum scales, combo blade. Pretty nice. I promised him I'd sharpen it for him some time. It needs it.

Other Brands

I used to carry a CRKT M16 for almost three years until I ran it into the ground. Best knife I think I have ever owned.

http://www.crkt.com/m16mil.html

I now carry a Kershaw Onion assisted open knife. Even though this one seems a little lighter in design than the M16, I feel it does its very well. The frame is starting to get a little loose on it, after maybe two years in the pocket. Just need to find an allen wrench small enough to tighten it.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/

I think both of these blades are a great deal for their price, and are both constructed very well.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links