not old enough :(

This is a discussion on not old enough :( within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im actually not old enough yet to carry a concealed pistol right now i carry a benchmade pika tanto in my right pocket, gerber AR ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not old enough :(

not old enough :(

im actually not old enough yet to carry a concealed pistol
    right now i carry a benchmade pika tanto in my right pocket, gerber AR 3.00 BB in my back pocket, and a 1.5oz First Defense X2 360 OC spray in my left pocket
    what are your opinions?
    improvements?
    carry ideas?
    anything is appreciated
    thanks

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    For starters, read the replies in this thread.

For defensive weaponry, I'd be more inclined to depend on the OC spray over the cutlery. I 'd suggest a 2.5 ounce unit as a minimum, and carried on the belt, not in the pocket.

You might look at the Kimber Guardian Angel, also.

Stay safe.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    I dont intend this to sound the way its going to, but do you really know how to use the tools you are carrying?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Perhaps you'd be better advised to enroll in a good martial arts school for now. You'll be old enough for concealed weapons carry soon enough and having some previous self defense background in martial arts can't hurt.

no but recently a few of my friends have been attacked and robbed in my neighborhood
    and I live in the nice part of town
    on was pistol whipped in the back of the head for not giving up his ipod fast enough
    the other was hit with a tire iron
    I just want to be able to protect myself and my friends and family

That sounds horrible, and absolutely warrants protection. At the same time, being armed to the teeth 24/7 like that is not practical or useful. You're more likely to get caught at school with a knife and be expelled then whip it out and take down an attacker. I suggesting taking some martial arts lessons and sticking with the spray.

i always leave my knife at home when im going to school
    they dont even come with me unless im going out at night
    dont worry
    im young but not ignorant

Location is Washington State, I assume...? The greatest challenge, at your age (and many others) is learning "when to tussle". If you can find a good martial school, get into it. Learning the agression and taking hits will benefit you. Learn what you can and cannot do barehanded, and develop confidence in your ability, and that will help direct you in choosing appropriate weapons.

You need a mentor, if your neighborhood is that rough, and not a competition guru.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Location is Washington State, I assume...? The greatest challenge, at your age (and many others) is learning "when to tussle". If you can find a good martial school, get into it. Learning the agression and taking hits will benefit you. Learn what you can and cannot do barehanded, and develop confidence in your ability, and that will help direct you in choosing appropriate weapons.

You need a mentor, if your neighborhood is that rough, and not a competition guru.
    Good advice. Personally, while growing up, I lived in "the nice part" of town, but it's under the L.A.PDs juridiction & not terribely far from high-crime areas (My parents still live there, I don't).

I learned boxing at a relatively young age, competitively (Started at 7, I was a border at a Military Academy). I later took up several different martial arts prior to turning 18 & really got into it while in college.

I had my 1st handgun prior to turning 21, but never carried it illegally. I'm dating myself, but OC wasn't around then. I always had a pocket knife, but that was primarily for utilitarian uses.

The point I'm making is that I learned how to defend myself (& unfortunately had to a few times), but I relied primarily on being aware of my surroundings & trying not to be around when I sensed trouble.

Of course, reading about what happened to you, you might not have a choice. I would say have some pepper spray with you (Learn how to use it properly, as in where to spray it), & try to train yourself to me aware of what's going on around you.

I'm defenitely not writing this to sound crass at all. From experience, both personal & what I've observed, knives as a SD weapon CAN work, but you're usually behind the curve when needing it & it's very reactionary (Like a firearm). However, with a gun you can gain some distance & leave or if you can't, then use the weapon. You have to be close to the person to use the knfe.

There's no easy answers, but I would say 1 good utilitarian knife that can double for SD if it needs to be & a can of OC (Pepper spray), should suffice.

& the most important weapon's you brain, but I'm sure you know that.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Martial Arts

I grew up in suburbia VA and got into a lot of fights. Never any guns or knives just skin-on-skin. Mind you this was the early 70's, I don't think they even had pepper spray but I had a S&W .38 LEO issue from a police auction that my father bought me when I was 8. I never carried any weapons at all.

The people suggesting martial arts aren't suggesting them so you can learn to fight or be a 'bad ass'. If you have the means most definitely get to work on the yellow belt! There is more to martial arts than fighting. Discipline and respect reigned for me. I also was in a Military school, competing in PKA fights, football, lacrosse and the swim team. I was too busy to worry about carrying a weapon.

IMO I wouldn't recommend that you carry anything that isn't legal. If you do carry some sort of weapon (baton, pepper spray, loud boat horn!) you better be able to keep it when you use it. If the BG takes it from you guess who is gonna get the first blast of the spray or crack over the head? Be careful, travel in groups of 4 or more and stay away from the area's your friends got jumped.

Be careful, don't want to see you dead on the evening news!

thanks for the advice
    the benchmade i carry is the utilty one for sure
    its too slow opening to be a good SD knife
    the gerber is very fast deploying so that would be the one to use to defend myself if it came down to it
    I do rely on staying away from trouble when I can help it but sometimes theres no getting around it (walking home at night) it is then i have one hand on my pepper spray on the pocket of my coat and my other on the knife
    thankfully I have never had to use either one
    and while I dont do any martial arts of football or lacrosse right now I am on the track team at my school so at least I could book it out of a bad situation if I needed to

I was in your position recently. I went to a large camping store and picked up a locking caribeaner. My hand fits inside of it perfectly-there are a lot of different sizes. You can use it as a yawara stick and still be able to open your hand to grab your opponent if you have to grapple. Ask any employee and they'll point you right where they are. I still keep mine hooked to my keys-it's always with me and I have a reason to have it. Just make sure it has the locking mechanism on it.

I agree w/all the comments regarding martial arts training--esp you will learn some basics avoid fights! Carrying a knife w/o proper training can get you most seriously hurt.Sadly most people have only one edge weapon encounter and they either survive or don't..Get TRAINING from a good ma school..one thats "street" oriented and mixed--jiujitsu/muy thai/krav maga . If you must carry a knife a quick deploying folder is good. I pray you never use it. When the time comes for you to get a CCW..remember: Practice&Train Practice&Train Practice&Train and then practice and train more! Stay Safe

I have been looking around and there seems to be a good Krav Maga school nearby
    I might just have to check it out

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    no but recently a few of my friends have been attacked and robbed in my neighborhood
    and I live in the nice part of town...
    Where in WA?

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links