Cold Steele "Night Force" folder

This is a discussion on Cold Steele "Night Force" folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have one of these or know anything about this knife. Look forward to everyones comments....

Thread: Cold Steele "Night Force" folder

Cold Steele "Night Force" folder

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about this knife. Look forward to everyones comments.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I used to sell the Pro-Lite plain edge for as long as it was on their 'close out' list. I had to straighten and shine up their bevels, but I considered their close out price to be quite fair.

Yeah, the steel was kind of mundane, but everything is in the heat treat. I think that this is one area where they married up the steel to the correct Rockwell hardness.

For example, the knives I owned took a keen edge and held it for a respectable period of time. When dull, it was a simple job to touch up the edge to new status. This shows edge retention and a good hardening job.

However, I never noticed concoidal fracture on any of the knives I sharpened. That would be a sign of the steel being too glass hard. Considering the sorry and tough lives these knives led, I knew they were wiggled crooked in the middle of a cut, forced through things they shouldn't be cutting, dropped on hard floors and bounced off staples when slicing boxes.

I liked the looks of the old model, but if the new black-ti coated ones are produced in the same manner, they will be every bit as good as a knife costing three times the amount.

I like my present EDC made from S30V, but I also carry a Razor Knife from Tom Anderson also made from mundane steel. Don't sell these little guys short. Within their limits they give excellent service.

Thanks Phil for the info. You are a asset to this forum and i enjoy reading your posts. One more thing, can you give me a review of the Cold Steele "Pro Lite" knives,especially interested in the 4" blade length and non-serrated edge.
    I don't have one and haven't handled one.

I own and presently carry a Pro-Lite 4 inch non-serrated. It's been an excellent knife, though I haven't abused it as I have my Vaquero Grande. I've had it about 2 years, and for the money, I'd say it's an excellent knife. I'm rather fond of Cold Steel as a whole. I've found their knives to outperform Gerbers and other well known names, and they are usually affordable, though I have noticed of late a marked increase in price.
    However, to each his own. I know a guy who only buys Strider. Won't consider anything less. I'd love to have a Strider, but it would sit at home in my sock drawer. I'm simply not able to use a knife that expensive as I do my Cold Steels. With Cold Steel, if I break it, I'm out what, a hundred bucks, depending on folder model? If I busted (or even scrathed,lol) a Strider, I'd cry all day and most of the next.
    That said, I've really abused my Vaquero Grande, and it hasn't let me down yet.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

How much is a Night Force? That looks like a groovy blade. I like it.

I want it.

The Vaquero Grande... I love those knives. I've had 4 of them. Traded one of them off, but the others ended up being "stolen by friends". :)

I carry that knife everyday.

PressCheck,
    Welcome to the forum. Or welcome back, since it looks like you joined back in Dec. You aren't, by any chance, affiliated with the Halo group, are you?
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I'm simply not able to use a knife that expensive
    I used to think that way. The first decent knife I owned cost 100 dollars and I checked my pocket every ten minutes to see if it was still there.

I have several Striders. They have been sharpened. They have been carried. Granted, I'm careful with them, but that regime is no different from any other.

I also carry Pro Techs and Microtechs. Just as a personal treat. My wife can spend more at a "spa day."

If you took your special girl to a fancy-schmancy restaurant with a semi-decent wine, it would be over a hundred bucks.

I wore Tony Lama boots, which I still have, to properly work the narrow space between the clutch and brake pedals of a 1989 Mustang. Some people feel the same about good Snap-On hand tools.

Look, I pitch +$20K to the wind every time I careen down an on-ramp.

If you had to truly figure cost per bite, you'd be eating cat food. Good knives are one of life's joys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnirsson
    PressCheck,
    Welcome to the forum. Or welcome back, since it looks like you joined back in Dec. You aren't, by any chance, affiliated with the Halo group, are you?

I am.

Tony Lama boots...
    +1

I've got a pair I've worn for 12 years now. Resoled 4 times... overdue again for another time. Need to put new insoles in them too... maybe some nice gels. Great boots.

VIP Member
    Just doing a little off-topic cleanup; PressCheck's greetings can be found here in the Member Intro subforum.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Links