More Zero Tolerance garbage! - Page 2

More Zero Tolerance garbage!

This is a discussion on More Zero Tolerance garbage! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have to clean out my truck before my daughter could take it to school. They would find knives, bullets, shotgun shells, a machete, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would have to clean out my truck before my daughter could take it to school. They would find knives, bullets, shotgun shells, a machete, hammers, and screwdrivers among other things. The tool box is a catch-all for the truck and I just toss things in there to get them out of the way. But if she took it to school (because of a last minute switch in the morning if her car was giving her trouble), she would be in violation of several rules. And with zero tolerance, it wouldn't matter to the school if she didn't know those things were in there - and she wouldn't.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

When is enough, enough?
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    The poll in the article is running 94% in favor of the kid. At least not all the common sense is gone
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Personally, I agree with the kid. I also used to (Heck, have always), carried some type of pocket knife. Back then I think it was an old slip joint my Uncle gave me & in High school I believe it was an old Gerber (Back when all their stuff was pretty much made in the U.S.).

I will also add that I've personally not charged kids when a machete or somesuch "weapon" was found in a students vehicle. For me, it all depended on the circumstances & the student in question. Of course, I'm not talking about "profiling", that would be wrong.

Working administratively, I have the same opinion that my Officers should do as I did when I was in the street; no more, no less.
    Last edited by cockedlocked01; September 18th, 2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Better explanation
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Working administratively, I have the same opinion of what our Officers should do as I did; no more, no less.
    I agree with that but it all depends on the Administration. My Administration will not back you up, so I follow the "Letter of the Law" not the intent or "Spirit" of the law.

I really hate it, but that's what I have to do to keep my job. Don't get me wrong, I intend to keep my job. Also, with the way the legal system is today, if you were to let one person off with a warning for a situation like this and then the same thing happened with another student and you arrested them, you would be opening the door wide for the "legal beagles" to get the case dismissed.

PC has gone "haywire" and this is the result. When I am at work I am the most PC person you would ever want to meet. I will not give you my real opinion because I would be fired, so don't ask for it.

Heck, I used to keep a gun in the truck at school. We all did "back in the day". Knives, I carried a Buck Lockback in a sheath to class and even loaned it to a couple of teachers to cut things with in the classroom. Of course I always had my Old Timer Stockman in my pocket as well.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    wow... that's ridiculous! I hope the school admins are pleased with themselves that they are effectively ruining this kids life.

The parents are right to fight this. A felony really does close a lot of doors, no matter what fantastic qualifications you have, because nobody bothers to look into the circumstances or details of the charge.

More feel good crap from the PC school administrators.

It is amazing how much things have changed in the 11 years since I was in HS. When I was in HS I carried a pocket knife with me everyday. The 'cowboys' in our school carried much larger knives. I even remember seeing a .22 in a gun rack in a students truck. (I don't think that was wise.) Just a year or two ago we had an incident at a school in the greater Albuquerque area where a kid was long term suspended because he forgot about the knife in his back pack from that weekends camping trip. I understand about safety, but how many people get attacked with a Swiss Army knife? I hear the tweezers on mine can be quite deadly!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    Hell, I carried a knife from the time I was in the 7th grade. I still have it, and it's in my pocket right now. I'm 36 years old.
    I did the same, starting in grade school. Even some of the teachers knew I had. I was even asked a couple of times BY A TEACHER that wanted to borrow it to cut something. It was pretty common place for at least somebody to have one in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    The poll in the article is running 94% in favor of the kid. At least not all the common sense is gone
    The depressing thing is 5% (92 people) responded that he should be charged!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    I wonder what school admins will end up doing if some student somewhere decides to stick a #2 pencil into the chest of another student.
    Ya think maybe they'll ban all pencils and only allow crayons into the schools?

Zero tolerance = no common sense...it eliminates all the difficulties in having to 'think'! Sad times...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Zero tolerance has out lived its usefullness if it had any to start with. If they are going to use this tool they need to find someone who has enough common sense to use it correctly. They should eliminate it it entirely due to misuse. There was no reason to expell this kid or make him a felon.

Assistant Administrator
    Ya think maybe they'll ban all pencils and only allow crayons into the schools?
    But - isn't crayon wax flammable? Heck, as we know - about anything can be a weapon!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Wonder when these administrators' autos were searched. I would be willing to wager that most if not all could be charged under the zero tolerance rules as well.

I have often wondered where they get the arbitrary rule about blade length. Any idiot that thinks limiting the blade to 2" as opposed to 3" will protect someone is being a total loon. I seem to remember hijackers on 9/11 using box cutters. They have about 3/4" of blade showing. I may have to go back to my two Einstein stupidity quotes in my sig.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    When is enough, enough?
    When everything by everyone has been deemed a criminal act. That will be the ultimate civilian population control mechanism, at least according to those who abdicate their responsibility to think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links