Knife question - Page 2

Knife question

This is a discussion on Knife question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I lived in Utah for six years, from '99-'05, and carried daily twin Spydercos, a superknife for utility work, a Kasper Companion, and sometimes a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife question

I lived in Utah for six years, from '99-'05, and carried daily twin Spydercos, a superknife for utility work, a Kasper Companion, and sometimes a Cold Steel Voyager X2.

I'd been pulled over by cops a half-dozen times, and they just looked at my knives and didn't even blink. One even asked where he could get a Voyager like mine.

So as far as I know, locking knives are legal in UT.

Oh, yeah. And it's my first post here. Hi everyone.

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Rat!!! Welcome to CC
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    MI law is even more screwy. One section calls for blade length 3" and under. Another section says carrying a knife is only illegal is carried with unlawful intent.

You want one thats really weird? In Missouri, the law states that it has to be "an ordinary pocketknife with a blade no more than 4"." Who gets to decide what qualifies as an "ordinary" knife? I mean, 15 years ago if you walked into a sporting-good store or a wal-mart all you'd see would be Buck 110's and Old-timers. Now they sell assisted opening Kershaws and Buck Striders. To me that says that the "ordinary" knives aren't the same as they used to be. Once again, I think it's just a case of making the law vague enough so an officer or prosecuter can do whatever they want.

That being said, I recently had a cop ask me what I was carrying, when I showed him my Dremel-waved Endura and Delica he thought they were the coolest things he'd ever seen.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by yrustuk
    I have a CWP and I have mounted in my vehicle a bowie knife (for just in case). I was wondering if it is covered in VA by my CWP?
    Short answer - no, the permit does not cover knives. In Virginia, it is a permit to carry a concealed handgun.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Ya know all this todo about legal and illegal knives is just the same ole crap we're having to deal with on firearms....there's always some liberal pansey-butt dipstick out there that just doesn't like anything more dangerous than a number 2 pencil in the hands of the public. They just can't seem to understand that they've nothing to fear from us law-abiding sheepdogs!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

P.S. England has a Bill in for vote making ALL knives with a point ...illegal. That includes all kitchen knives. Some brilliant Brit chef said points on knives were no longer necessary, they had these new fangled tools called forks to take their place. And like stated earlier no lockback knives are allowed either as the Brits consider them a "fighting Knife!". I think there is also a Bill in to make all pens and pencils with points illegal too:) Keep 'em dull and stay safe!

Assistant Administrator
    Just thought - all fasteners will soon have to be rivets or machine screws/nuts and bolts - hex heads or Allen socket. Regular slotted and Philips screws will be out. They after all require the use of <deep breath>, screwdivers - nasty semi-pointy things that can be plunged deep into human tissue.

Woodwork is gonna be a real bugger too - without chisels!

Hey - make everything plastic eh! SOFT plastic LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Reckon I've been in the wrong a long time

I've carried a bowie knife, machete, hatchet, and an axe in my truck since I was 8. That doesn't begin to mention the guns we always had in there. The way I figure it is what they don't know won't hurt them (the police). MI is pretty screwy about their laws and it really boils down to how well I know that cop who pulled me over. Sometimes its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    The nice thing about Wisconsin is that if you can tie the 'implement' into use when deer hunting, you're home free.

"What are you doing with this axe?" Firewood for deer camp.

"That's a pretty big knife." I 'quarter' my family's deer.

"You always carry a rifle?" I was bagging it in for a CWD zone.

"Is that a knife in your pocket?" Yeah, I just got back from a CWD zone.

Well, you get the idea. It helps if you're in a 4-wheel drive F-150.

Here in Kentucky, our CCW laws allow not just guns, but would you believe knives, numchuks, brass nuckles, and even throwing stars !!!!

VIP Member
    How about maces?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Thumbs up Ya Just Gotta Love Kentucky

LEGAL BRASS KNUCKS

"Here in Kentucky, our CCW laws allow not just guns, but would you believe knives, numchuks, brass nuckles, and even throwing stars !!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky
    Here in Kentucky, our CCW laws allow not just guns, but would you believe knives, numchuks, brass nuckles, and even throwing stars !!!!
    What about Auto's and balisongs?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have been in to the knife thing for a while and knife makers put out alot of knifes that are legal that would just be fine in the letter of the law. I don't see why you would want to carry around a 7"+ bowie "cuz i can is what most people say" and i think you should be able to. but i don't want(kidz drugiez conz) to be able to carry a 4 foot samari sowrd! you could not stop the inless they are 35 feet away from from a gun.

every one is right in here people are normaly good but you have to watch out for the ones that were not hugged as a child. knife laws are messed up. are fore fathers wanted us to be able to protect are selfs from any wrong doing so they put laws on the bigest noisest thing a gun hoping all the law would fill around that, but some one got a stick in there ass when it came to knifes.

to save your life with a knife your best thing next to a 4 foot samari sowrd is a knife from 5"-7" go to a couple knife seminars or
    spend 6 bucks for a 4 dvds on training navy seal program in:
    SEAL CQB-Close Quarter Battle Tactics
    SEAL H2H-Hand To Hand
    SEAL Knife
    SEAL Sniper

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=552831
    to see what i'm talking about

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links