Liner Locks?

Liner Locks?

This is a discussion on Liner Locks? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm REALLY new to the knife thing. I'm looking for a folder in the 3-4" range. I've been reading alot of negetive things about liner ...

Thread: Liner Locks?

Liner Locks?

I'm REALLY new to the knife thing. I'm looking for a folder in the 3-4" range. I've been reading alot of negetive things about liner locks. Are there any out there that you guys will recommend.

I would really like an assisted opener. The two that I have looked hardest at are

1. CRKT Crawford Triumph
    2. ZT 400

Lead Moderator
    liner locks are weaker locks than other designs. How hard are you going to be using the knife. For most everyday uses , a liner lock should work fine. I use a Kershaw Blur, it seems to work for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My absolute favorite folder is my Benchmade Griptilion.
    You don't need assisted open when you have a Benchmade.
    Believe me, I have many assisted open knives.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    liner locks are weaker locks than other designs. How hard are you going to be using the knife. For most everyday uses , a liner lock should work fine. I use a Kershaw Blur, it seems to work for me.
    I'd like to carry it as a backup defense weapon, to compliment my 229

Quote Originally Posted by roadrat52 View Post
    My absolute favorite folder is my Benchmade Griptilion.
    You don't need assisted open when you have a Benchmade.
    Believe me, I have many assisted open knives.
    I have the same knife, and if you get any Benchmade with the Axis lock, you will see what he is saying. I guarantee I can swing open my griptilion faster than any AO knife.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Lead Moderator
    Benchmades Axis lock is good alright. I own a Benchmade. However, faster than a assist opener? Not for me. I found my Blur is faster than some Benchmade auto openers, but way faster(at least for me) than a conventional opener.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

FWIW I don't own a knife with a liner lock. Lots of my friends do, and when they show them to me I can't help but notice the cool scars they all seem to have on the tips of their thumbs! These guys had previously struck me as being fairly sensible and well coordinated. Based on that I stick to designs that I figure will minimize my opportunities for self mutilation. I get myself in enough trouble as it is!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Oh puhlease. I've had liner locks for a decade or more, and never once had one fail on me.

First of all, one needs to know what he should or should not be using a knife for. I dare say that 99% of the tasks for which you should be using a knife don't involve a hell of a lot of closing force being placed on the spine of the blade--much less enough to make it FAIL!! And a failure of a knife lock under such force would probably be more likely to sever a finger than just put a scar on it.

I also am firmly of the opinion that "assisted openers" are just gimmicks, and are desired mostly by those who don't know good knives or good features. I'm sorry if that offends some, but it's just how I have come to view them. There is nothing an assisted opener can do better than a waved knife, or even just one with a thumb-hole. And I'd rather use my Mini Griptilian, which can be flicked open effortlessly by depressing the lock, than a clumsy, over-thick assisted-opener. By the way, I'm sure that the springs in those things can fail just like in any other knife, and I wouldn't want to be relying on it at the time.

Lead Moderator
    My choice for a AO was I wanted a bigger knife blade, but have smaller hands. I find it difficult to open a blade and maintain a good grip. If the AO ever failed, It still opens normal.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The issue I was refering to with my friends was not a failure of the lock, it was a failure to get the thumb out of the way when closing it.

VIP Member
    My knives tend to see only gentle use, cutting string and packages. I've had two liner-lock failures where the lock would fail to engage after repeated attempts - a Benchamde Mini-Stryker and a Microtech Mini-Socom. Both knives are well-made knives that had years of decent service behind them.

- When you purchase a liner lock knife, have it in your hands so you can inspect the liner lock before purchase. Make sure the liner lock snaps crisply right in the middle of the back end of the blade where it's supposed to.

- Many people like to test the lock by tapping the tip or spine down on a surface (I use a magazine on a table so the tip won't chip). Keep fingers out of the way. If the lock is weak, it will disengage. I did that to a Camillus Cuda, and it failed miserably. It had a very thin, weak liner lock for that size knife.

- Keep the knife clean of debris like lint. Check it constantly.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Benchmades Axis lock is good alright. I own a Benchmade. However, faster than a assist opener? Not for me. I found my Blur is faster than some Benchmade auto openers, but way faster(at least for me) than a conventional opener.
    As you pull the knife out of your pocket, you can pull back on the axis lock stud, & the movement of you hand as you bring the knife out will open the blade, then you let go of the axis stud. It can be quicker than an A/O, because you have to pull the knife out & then open it. It can be comparable to a waved knife w/o possibley tearing your pants (Not to mention having to pull out a wave just right).

As to the original post, I'm not familiar with the CRKT as a folder, but the ZT 0400 is a great knife.

Also, some knives are frame locks, which is typically much thicker than a liner lock. For an inexpensive one, check out Kershaws Junkyard Dog I. Not a bad knife for about $30 & with a frame lock.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    this is the knife I carry around for everyday defense... I use a cheap folder for boxes and such, this doesnt get pulled out of concealment except when its "go time"

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Links