The "S" Just Hit The Fan & U Can Only Grab One - Page 3

The "S" Just Hit The Fan & U Can Only Grab One

This is a discussion on The "S" Just Hit The Fan & U Can Only Grab One within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr farronwolf, whats the steel used in the custom from your client? That blade looks heavy duty, and if it's made from ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    farronwolf,

whats the steel used in the custom from your client? That blade looks heavy duty, and if it's made from the right steel, would make one hell of a blade for SHTF scenarios.

Brownie
    AZ, I don't remember what type of steel he used I don't remember the number he told me when I bought it from him, I would have to call and ask him. He buys it in blocks and hammers them out from the stock. He really spends most of his time making hoof trimming knives, and only limited time for custom knives.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Yep, that's a sweet knife.
    Looks like it will continue to take a beating forever.

Off Topic...Want to hear about a capitol offense concerning knife steel Dos & Don'ts.
    About ??? 11 or so years ago I saw an older guy start to cook a hunk of meat over a camp fire w/ an earlier Randall that he had wedged/propped between two rocks.
    That resulted in us having a nice, long knife chat about the effects of fire inflicted on fine perfectly hardened and tempered blade steel.
    It had been in the fire for (I'm guessing) about 10 minutes before I even saw it.
    For sure he ruined that knife. One vintage Randall less for the collectors to grab hold of I imagine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Brownie those look like they are great knives, but for me a knife has to be a utilitarin tool. I know just enough about fighting with a knife to know I shouldn't get in a knife fight.

If I had to fight with a knife I would make it a spear so I would have some chance.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sponsor
    pgrass101,

A big knife built right can do everything the smaller brothers can do, but a small knife can't do everything a big knife can do.

The Bagwell could be used as a pick for your teeth, the tip is that sharp and pointed. It's also so strong that you won't damage it if it's accidently dropped tip first.

The Bagwell particularly weighs less than many much smaller knives so weight is not an issue over choosing a smaller knife. Bagwell carries one daily, along with several friends I'm close with who have trained with Bagwell also.

All of them can conceal the blade in an untucked T and shorts, and still pull it as fast as most can draw a gun. Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths actually demonstrates this while seated at booths at shows to customers.

Though the Bag and Covington are real true fighters at heart, they are made in a way that they are equally at home in a utilitarian role of any kind. I've used the Covington in and around the coral a few times as well as my usual 5.5" carry straight blade made by Rob Patton [ it's my daily carry blade btw ].

Here's a picture of the Patton daily carry, but if I had to skedaddle out of dodge and take but one, the bigger knives like the Bag and Covington get the nod. Not for fighting but for their overall toughness, steel used, their heat treat allowing easy field sharpening and "reach" which translates to leverage in certain circumstances.

edited to add: The Patton straight is L6 tool steel, dfferentially heat treated [ you can see the hamon line ] with Arizona Desert Ironwood scales. I've carried this one for near three years daily unless I've got the Covington with me ] and sharpen it once a week. It gets lots of use.

I wouldn't take just any big knife, it would have to be a real performer like the two I've mentioned here with the right steel and heat treat. I've seen Bagwell take his personal knife from his waist and cleave a 2x4 standing on end that was 12" long through to the table with just a simple wrist action and a little effort from his elbow, so it will certainly work to chop/make shelter.

Not all long knives are made equal, of course. A shorter really well made knife would be preferred over a mediocre larger knife any day. I was initially tempted to list my Gransfor small hatchet as the get out of dodge tool, it's very very sharp and would come in handy, but then I couldn't lash it to a pole to make a spear, nor have the reach of the long knife if the SHTF scenario did include two legged critters at some point. I picked the long knife as I was given by the OP that I'd have my Swiss Army multi tool with me which has two smaller blades and a saw.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, if I can only take one, then I'll have to remove my pocket knife and grab the K-bar out of the safe.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Even with a desk full of knives I would grab my 1961 issue K bar.

It has been on a Med Cruise, an Atlantic cruise, a couple of tours in SEA, some time in the desert and a lot of time in "lock on" at Camp Pendleton.

Its not the best knife for a lot of things, but it is a good knife for many things

Semper Fi

SRK by Cold Steel ,,,

Sponsor
    SRK by Cold Steel ,,,

Another very good choice in steel, but I would not take one for a SHTF scenario as the rubber grip will create hot spots very quickly if used hard for any length of time [ don't ask how I know ]

I still have one strapped to my rescue pack 24/7 because I carry spare gloves as well. If CS would change the grip material it could be one of the best sleepers out there for a rugged fixed blade. They used to come razor sharp out of the box, haven't had a new one for some 5 years so I can't attest to that being the case today.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I read through all the post, some good knives there, But I would go with what I know will do all the things in your post. My old Tratamonte Machete. I have already used it to cut brush, build sweat lodge, build lean-to, make spears, whittle arrows, butcher animals, dig plants, dig holes for rocks in sweat lodge. It is a universal blade. It is easy to sharpen, has flexible blade and is not brittle. I have been using it for over 20 years. The Blade is 22 inches long, I have sharpened the point with a back edge of 3 inches, and have changed the edge geometry so it is has a convex edge. It can be sharpened with a rock if need be. It is hardened to about 50 so it doesnt chip as much as a harder blade but after sharpening I can shave with it. It is 2and 1/2 inches wide at the sweet spot so it has enough weight when swung to lob off branches up to 2 inches. While working on the Farm I carry it with me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The ole K has worked for me many times, I suppose I would stick with what I know.
    Same here.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I think I'd grab a CRKT Ultima.
    I just did a little research on these. The Ultima looks like a nice knife. I may need to pick one up.

B.

My Fallkniven F1 would be the one.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

About ??? 11 or so years ago I saw an older guy start to cook a hunk of meat over a camp fire w/ an earlier Randall that he had wedged/propped between two rocks.
    <snip>
    For sure he ruined that knife. One vintage Randall less for the collectors to grab hold of I imagine.
    Oh that just makes me wanna cry!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The seal pup is the best all around knife you can get IMHO. I have one in each "disaster" back pack in both of my vehicles and another one in my emergency bag at home; I shopped and compared a great many knives and you can't beat the seal pup for cost , quality and durability! I own gerbers, benchmades, bokers, etc but the seal pup is my #1 favorite.

Administrator
    Some mighty fine knife choices offered up.
    I keep a machete in the car trunk along with some other assorted possible necessary stuff.
    It actually has come in quite handy on a couple of occasions.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links