Glock Field Knives

This is a discussion on Glock Field Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simply put, for the price they're hard to beat, especially if you prefer the "sticker" type knives as opposed to the "cutter" types. I purchased ...

Thread: Glock Field Knives

Glock Field Knives

Simply put, for the price they're hard to beat, especially if you prefer the "sticker" type knives as opposed to the "cutter" types.

I purchased mine awhile ago because I wanted a "sticker" type that was stronger and cheaper than the F&S (which I own) and the venerable M3 trench Knife (which I don't own).

For the fashion conscious out there, they come in three colors. Mine was purchased in basic black, as it goes with everything, and not saw-backed. As well, there is a saw-back version if one is so inclined. In essence, you have six models to choose from.

Ups and downs:

The Glock Field Knife is a good tool and, I am sure, weapon. Mine appears to be well made, the handle is nice fitting though I'd like heavier stippling against slippage.

The balance point is directly behind the guard, a nice feature which I prefer. By the way, the guard is, for me, a perfect size and I can open beer bottles with it (an option any Soldier would appreciate)!

The sheath is well designed and made. It should fit anywhere one chooses to put it and has an extremely positive clasp (more on this feature below). Undoubtedly the sheath is "jump certified".

As for the down side, well, the edge was non-existent as it came from the shop, at least on mine anyway. No major problem there, simple a little extended session with the stones and I was in business.

The sheath, as I mentioned above, is very secure. It would actually be a negative point if the knifes sole use was as a weapon, especially for a GI. To unsnap it from the sheath is virtually a two-handed operation and when re-sheathing the clasp makes a very audible click. These problems shouldn't affect the average user and may improve somewhat with prolonged use.

In all, I'm satisfied with mine and would not hesitate to recommend it.[hr]

Note on saw-backed knives: While this option may seem desirable, it really doesn't belong on this type of weapon. The GFK is really, by design, more of a weapon than a general purpose knife. The saw-back would hang up on your assailants clothing and other internal items. This would make multiple wounds likely impossible and, as with gunshots, multiple wounds are where it's at if you want to survive. I'd pass on the fancy options for a weapon and stick with old plain Jane.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

2. Remove Ads

Conversely, the saw is excellent for light cutting, and makes perfect notches in snare-construction. Pretty limited role, though. I would agree, the plain-back are great knives for the price.

You can apply a heavier stipple to the handle with a sharp-point, pencil-style soldering tool. It's done the same way as stippling the frame on a GLOCK pistol (see GLOCKtalk forum for details).

The saw-backed model is handy if you ever need to cut your way out of a metal "tight spot" (burning plane/helicopter, car trunk, sheet metal building, etc.). With sufficient motivation, that saw-back can quickly get through some pretty tough situations. Don't ask how I know.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good points Rob & GT with regards to the saw-back and I am sure that's why the option is there.

GT excellent tip on the stippling modification. Here's one I gleaned, do some gentle work on the sheathe catch, with file or sandpaper, and you can draw one handed. Go easy with the stock removal, you still want retention and you can always remove more stock if necessary.

The Glock knife, like the K-Bar (my favorite large knife), in a prime example of frugalness. One needn't spend a fortune to get a good tool or weapon.
    Take Care and Stay Safe,
    Ken

NRA Member
    Administrator Integrated Close Combat Forum

REMEMBER What works for you may not, necessarily, work for me. Keep an open mind!

After you get the sheath catch profiled the way you want it...give it a good going-over with a 3M Scotchbrite (green) Pad. I've modified several GLOCK pistol frames & the resulting finish from this 3M Pad looks very much like a factory job.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Back to the roots - that's how Glock started. Knives and trenching tools.......

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, entrenching tools, but yeah. I have a black saw-back field knife, and the entrenching tool. Both are quite cool!

O.P. was right, the "edge" that came on the Glock knife was trash. I did some work on it a while back, but I have to revisit it because I have better equipment and better sharpening skills than I had when I did it a while ago. I have NO idea what kind of steel they used for that blade, either. You kinda know it's not exactly CPM S-30V or VG-10 or anything...

Links