Practical martial arts/self defense courses.

This is a discussion on Practical martial arts/self defense courses. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for pointers to a good martial arts discipline to pick up and advice on where to learn it. I'm interested in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practical martial arts/self defense courses.

Practical martial arts/self defense courses.

I am looking for pointers to a good martial arts discipline to pick up and advice on where to learn it. I'm interested in a more practical system that doesn't rely on acrobatics and round houses.

If anyone knows of a decent martial arts program near Orlando Florida, please let me know.

2. Remove Ads

Hi, Ruertar,

I've heard some good stuff about Krav Maga.
    Check youtube for some examples.

I am pretty sure there is a 'gym' or whatever they call it in Orlando.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

BAC
    He speaks the truth. I've been trying to find the time to hunt for a good Krav Maga school, since that's part of what I've already learned.

Best advice is to get a variety of disciplines until you find one that clicks with you. Some instructors simply can't teach, regardless of how good the style might be, and some styles just come naturally. At not even a buck-forty, I'm too small to stand there and trade swings, for example, so I play the grappler/ground-fighter game.

Self-defense classes that don't solidly identify themselves as Kung Fu or Karate or whatever are usually fairly good, since they try to teach things in a simplistic manner.

-B

Kempo is a good style, street fighting orientated.

Jui Jitsu (brazilian - gracie) is also good for grappling and fighting on the ground, normally 65% of fights end up on the floor.

Both styles are good and will make you a more rounded competent fighter, both will compliment the other, imo.

Or you can always go for gyms that cater MMA (mixed martial arts) if you just want to do it all under one roof but wont be as thorough as taking two individual styles...

Whichever you take, im sure you'll do good.. GL
    It pays to be a winner, 2nd place is 1st loser = dead man

check out fight2survive.com; its a combination of krav maga, jiujitsu, muy thai...very combative and survival oriented..he has trained varous instructors in the florida area and around the country; instructor is former israeli special forces member and very well trained martial artist.

I lived much of my then young life in the martial arts. I was blessed with the chance to learn things from some of the best. Much of what is taught today ( and back then) for "defense" will make the instructor a living and may well get you hurt or worse in real life. Seen it happen several times in the real world.

I don't want to start any flame wars or arguments about what's good/what isn't but I'd recommend looking over this site

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

and then thinking real hard about who you train with!

He makes lot's of very valid points about reality.
    Last edited by ELCruisr; October 13th, 2007 at 02:19 PM.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    as an old cop/cowboy who abused his body early in life i have to say that since i am too stove up to fight , and too proud to run the only martial art that makes sence to me is a combination of tiquantalk and gun foo . LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ... the only martial art that makes sence to me is a combination of tiquantalk and gun foo . LOL
    haha!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

and then thinking real hard about who you train with!
    I studied Okinawan Karate for many years with a traditional Sensei, and because of him it was some of the most rewarding experiences of my life; Both phyisically and spiritually rewarding.

The Instructor you study with is more important then the martial arts style you study. You want to try to avoid the instructor who is full of himself and all macho. If you find the right person, then you will get a tremendous amount out of it. Take your time. Visit as many dojos as you can and watch the classes and how the instructor conducts himself and treats the stidents.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    He speaks the truth. I've been trying to find the time to hunt for a good Krav Maga school, since that's part of what I've already learned.
    I tried looking for a good krav maga class around here. The only one I found was taught at one of those strip mall martial arts/day care style places.

I sat in through one of their classes and I was disappointed.

check out demibarbito.com

I have a few of his stuff and it is very practical and realistic. Highly recommend his stuff.

He doesn't teach fighting on tree tops.

If you want to train with him, you will have to travel, but his videos are a good building block.

I've done about four years of Wing Chun style kung fu - at a school with a more fighting-oriented approach than most. Bottom line is that most martial arts schools are full of BS and simply teach dogma.

If you want to find a good school you'll probably have to visit 10-20 of them. If you want to get good at it you'll have to sit through a moderate amount of crap and learn what you can, then move on to another school that teaches other things.

Krav Maga is a great option for hurting the other guy a lot and putting him out of action quickly. Jiujitsu is great for close-in grappling situations where you don't want to kill/maim the other guy (bar fights, drunk relatives, etc).

Think about the situation you're trying to address. Also realize that it's really a lot of work and you have to put an incredible amount of effort in to get really good. It will involve sacrifices in the rest of your life. Most people who joined our school quit after a few months.

i studied jujutsu for many years (the real deal, not the brazilian stuff); it's practical for self defense. penjak silat, kali, escrima, western boxing, muay thai, and krav maga are all excellent choices. steer clear of "MMA" gyms; they train for ring fighting and point scoring, not self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Bottom line is that most martial arts schools are full of BS and simply teach dogma.
    +1!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I study Aikido. I find i practical because:

The techniques don't require a lot of strength, in fact if you exert yourself it means you're doing it wrong.

We train for multiple attackers.

We practice defense against weapons (knives and sticks, not nun-chucks or fans)

We seek to end the conflict without injury to the attacker, which could help avoid lawsuits.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links