Defensive Carry banner

Folder Maintenance

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  PAcanis 
#1 ·
I bought a Benchmade a while back because A. I really like "flippers," and B. because as a rule, I really like Benchmade's. The knife feels great in the hand, you can choke up on it, it's light. But what it never really was; was as fun as some of my other flippers. Just didn't shoot out and hit with the force I'd have hoped for. I've taken it apart, yadda, yadda. But it only ever remained, just ok. That the blade still sits in my pocket day after day is a testament to it's feel.

Knife Blade Hunting knife Bowie knife Utility knife

So today, I thought of packing it in and going with one of my others. When I got it in my head to use my Gun Scrubber aerosol to hose it out, and then to lube it with my dry lube and give it one last try.

It's better than the day I pulled it out of the box. If you have these materials (Gun scrubber and dry lube), give it a shot.

That's it. Just a heads up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad that worked for you. I got some lubricant from Benchmade (they are my favorite folders) but your way sounds "relatively perfect":congrats::Winner2:I never dare take stuff apart, I know I won't get it back together right. I may be the worst put her back togetherer in the world.

#7 ·
I've... Well I got to tell you. Yeah, I'm quickly becoming a convert. That dry lube really has some great attributes. I'll never replace my Gun Butter (never say never - I know). That stuff (the butter) for me is better than anything I have with respect to lube. Expensive(ish) - but a little is all you need.

#5 ·
I've never been one of those to swear allegiance to a particular brand of oil or a cleaning product. I've use most products on the market with good results. But then I came across Nano Oil. I won't go too far into the product details, they have a website that explains how it works, but basically there are nano particles resembling microscopic ball bearing in a a carrier that evaporates and leaves nothing behind that might attract dust. I've never had my knives work as smoothly as they do after a treatment with this product. I lubricated my EDC knives with it about a year ago, and they're still going strong.

Standard Disclaimer: I have no connection ...

#9 ·
Benchmade has a program where you can send them your knife, they will clean, lube, repair, adjust as necessary, and sharpen the blade at no charge to the customer.
All you pay for is the shipping to them, they pay the return shipping back to you.
It's a terrific customer service program, didn't take very long at all for the "turnaround".
My knives came back working more smoothly and sharper than ever.
I'm very happy with my knives and their service.

#11 ·
I've had some "close-tolerance" locking folders get comPLETELY gummy using conventional (liquid) lubes. Pocket lint & Balistol apparently (eventually) create...wallpaper paste. I've switched to powdered graphite (lock lubricate) in a tube. A good disassemble, cleaning, reassemble and a little "puff" has resulted in a long-term solution.

BTW- Nice Benchmade, Drift. :hand10:

#15 ·
I usually clean my knives out with compressed air and a few drops of Slick 50 lube. The Slick 50 doesn't see to get gummy however I haven't seen the stuff for sale in sometime.

#16 ·
I have a small bottle of lube I bought specifically for my folders. It's supposed to work well on bearings and washers without attracting a lot of dirt.
And whadaya know? It's dry lube, lol. It's called Tuf Glide.
Shows how often I use it :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.