The Newest Addition To My Self-Defense Family

This is a discussion on The Newest Addition To My Self-Defense Family within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the KA-BAR I just got today. It's a nifty little fixed blade on an angled grip. It feels VERY nice and natural in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Newest Addition To My Self-Defense Family

Senior Moderator

The Newest Addition To My Self-Defense Family

Here is the KA-BAR I just got today. It's a nifty little fixed blade on an angled grip. It feels VERY nice and natural in the hand.

Knives are something I have often used and carried though I haven't really "gotten into" them so much.

While folding blades seem to be the "norm" and they have the most versatility and concealability, I think something like this can be great for quick, necessary applications.

Then again, I'm not a knife fighter, I know nothing about knife fighting techniques or whatever.

What I know can be put in a nut shell and it would go something like this... Something happens you don't want to happen.. A gun is either not an option or not available.. pull out knife.. start stabbing and slashing.

I like how solidly I can grip this little bugger. No one is getting it out of my hand without getting cut... REPEATEDLY!

Eventually I would like to take a defensive knife course as well as get some hand-to-hand training..

What do you all think? Do I got myself a nice little edged weapon or what?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Ahh, the TDI knife. Very nice choice.

I had one of the first productions given to me by the designer. It has been a constant companion on the job since.

BTW, those sure are purty nails. Does JD load your mags for you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Looks good.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ahh, the TDI knife. Very nice choice.

I had one of the first productions given to me by the designer. It has been a constant companion on the job since.

BTW, those sure are purty nails. Does JD load your mags for you?
    LOL.. NOPE! I pay good money for these nails and I tell them to make them EXTRA tough because I don't baby my hands just because my nails are pretty. It all started when I started working at my last gun-shop job. My nails kept breaking and BADLY and my fingers were bleeding. I went and told the nail people to beef them up and make them as strong as possible. They put some kind of gel stuff over them that has made them so stinking tough that they could probably stop bullets.

Seriously, these things have had slides shut on them, been dipped in gun scrubber, used to pick brass out of chambers, you name it.. they are indestructible and should be for how much I spend to keep them that way. I just figured that if I'm going to pay so much to keep them strong they might as well be pretty too. But, no, I don't hold anything back. They get the full measure of my wrath...lol

Anyway, do you know where I might find any other sheathes for the TDI?

I looked on Ka-Bar's website and they only have one other sheath (that I found) and it was a clip on one. I'd like to see what else was available.

Thanks!

Administrator
    I know others have made sheaths for them, I've seen 'em. What kind would you like to have? I'll ask around, I have lots of sources...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Be careful Lima...you might scare your boss again...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The only one I have seen is the one on this link:http://www.findesigns.net/sheath.html
    I carry this knife everywhere and I love it!

VIP Member
    Dang Lima... you're startin' to scare me!

Seriously, I wish I could get my bride to consider some form of self defense. But after 35 years of trying, I just look out for her as much as I can!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lima's a sharp lady. She'll figure out the finer points of usin' that bad boy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    LOL.. Thanks..

I was pretty sure I was getting a good knife as the wife of a former Marine Ka-Bars are pretty much the most talked/bragged about knives.

I trusted the name, so pretty much trusted I was getting a good knife. Good to hear my instincts (and the reputation of the company) led me right.

Either way this is my first fixed blade knife.

I'm still figuring out where to carry it (so far I've settled on it being weak side) but I'm sure that will come with time and listening to good advice.

As far as scaring my boss is concerned... HAHA!! I hope I do scare him (just a little bit). If he wants to take my gun away from me he shouldn't be surprised when I come to work packing as many knives as my pockets and belt can carry. I won't be defenseless.

JD just confided in me that he was waiting for me to pick out my own fixed-bladed knife and he didn't say anything because he was waiting to see if I would ever pick up on the need for a better defensive knife and wanted to see if in my "defensive progression" I would come to the conclusion of a better knife all on my own.

He said he was very proud that I did and then picked out a pretty darned good knife to boot.

That makes me feel good.

I like the sheath in that link.. thanks for pointing it out to me. I'll have to look into getting one of those.

Seeing as how I'm pretty new to this knife (4 hours new to be exact), the kind of sheaths I was interested in were something like the link provided, maybe something with a clip instead of belt loops so that it could go on and off easier (as this one is pretty hard to get onto my belt). I'm not really thinking of one particular thing, I'm just looking at all options (ankle, waist, leather, kydex, whatever) and seeing what's out there that will make carrying it consistently comfortable and doable, especially if my gun is prohibited.

I almost joined the military a couple of years ago. It will probably be something I always wished I had done but there are MANY reasons why it will be something I will probably never do (including some health issues). I am a proud supporter of our military, however, and and even prouder wife of a former Marine and the sister of a sailor. I'll always have that.

Administrator
    Not my personal preference in a style of knife (I'm very old school on knives) but, it appears to be quite well constructed.
    A good solid looking knife.
    They also put a lot of obvious effort into the sheath design but that just seems to be almost too much sheath for that size knife.
    I think just a simple belt clip might have been better on the sheath rather than the Kydex holster type belt loops which seem a bit excessive. I'll reserve judgment though since I have never seen one like it first hand.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Addressing the knife itself, I have one of these with the ankle holster but have not carried it yet though because my backup handgun is ankle carry which leaves no room for the knife
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Dang Lima... you're startin' to scare me!

Seriously, I wish I could get my bride to consider some form of self defense. But after 35 years of trying, I just look out for her as much as I can!
    Bride.....35 years?? Somewhere around the 5th year my bride became my old lady.

very nice
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

[QUOTE=limatunes;504986]

Another avatar change?...are you in the Federal Witness Protection Program...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links