French Bayonet dated 1877

This is a discussion on French Bayonet dated 1877 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a bayonet with French writing on it and a date of 1877, doing a goggle I came up with one that looks just ...

I have a bayonet with French writing on it and a date of 1877, doing a goggle I came up with one that looks just like mine. The link is listed below along with the mfg arsenal. Its the second image down from the top. Does anyone deal with this stuff??? Is it worth anything or considered junk??

http://old-smithy.info/bayonets/1866_chassepot.htm

Impériale de Chatellerault Arsenal
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I dont know much about stuff like that but if nothing else it would be pretty neat to have how about a full pic?

Hi Bud, I took some pictures today of the Bayonet and my firearms. Don't know how they will come out but I got few more pictures to take then I'll get them on the forum somehow. Appreciate the interest. I have had this bayonet for over 50 years. My grandmothers atic had all of these really heavy muskets and swords like off of pirate ships and then they just disappeared. I think you would be really interested in my hammer 12 guage that was made in maybe 1895 to 1910. I like the old stuff.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I love the old stuff been on a kick trying to find some stuff past few years about the olds firearms i have are a german mauser made round 1917 and a schmidt reauben (sp) k-31 that is 1924 i think i got it all wrote down some where

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    I have a bayonet with French writing on it and a date of 1877, doing a goggle I came up with one that looks just like mine. The link is listed below along with the mfg arsenal. Its the second image down from the top. Does anyone deal with this stuff??? Is it worth anything or considered junk??

http://old-smithy.info/bayonets/1866_chassepot.htm

Impériale de Chatellerault Arsenal
    They aren't junk, unless they are in bad condition.

If it is a Chassepot, and in good condition, with its scabbard, I have seen prices from $175 up to over $350. If it is a Gras w/ scabbard, they are more common and usually go for a little less. You may get a little more if it is a Gras with an anchor stamp on the quillon. With an 1877 mfg date, it is probably a Gras. Without a scabbard and in poorer condition, for less than $100.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

"If it is a Chassepot, and in good condition, with its scabbard, I have seen prices from $175 up to over $350."
    Hi Tom, I believe its a Chassepot with scabbard. I have never cleaned them up so they are rusted etc. The blade would clean up really good I am sure, there are markings on Chassepot in addition to which armory made it. Thanks for the input appreciate it.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

"If it is a Chassepot, and in good condition, with its scabbard, I have seen prices from $175 up to over $350."
    Hi Tom, I believe its a Chassepot with scabbard. I have never cleaned them up so they are rusted etc. The blade would clean up really good I am sure, there are markings on Chassepot in addition to which armory made it. Thanks for the input appreciate it.
    The switchover to the Gras bayonet and rifle started in 1874. So, an 1877 Chassepot would be among the last produced. With the quillon and slight curve, it was an attractive short sword with a hefty blade. The Gras was absolutely straight with a triangular shape.
    - Tom

Tom, it does have the curved blade with the armory information in scroll on top of the blade. Could be a sword, its pretty good size. There are additional markings towards the hilt, they are numbers and hard to see. The blade would cleanup really nice, it looks like silver. I read that when they were used in battle the french or whoever used these would paint the scabbard black so it would not shine and give their position away.
    --going to add a picture I hope.(file to large??)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by FortyFive; July 8th, 2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add a picture
    ---
    NRA Life Member

OK Bud and Tom I at last got the picture up...
    ---
    NRA Life Member

OK Bud and Tom I at last got the picture up...
    That's a Chassepot. Along with the armory where it was made, the engraving should include the exact date it was made. I don't know what the French were using, but here in the US, soldiers often used stove blacking to paint their scabbards and give it a flat black patina. The scabbard looks to be in rough shape - may not be enough material left for restoration. The blade and the grip look pretty good, all things considered. The quillon looks pretty rough. Isn't it cool to know that, over a century ago, that short sword was carried at someone's side, ready to be attached to their rifle?
    - Tom

Glad you got to see it thanks for the comments. The blade is in good shape, the scabbard has rust but I don't restore things so aomeone with skills may be able to. Your correct though it would be a task. Thats how I feel this thing is over 100 years old, pretty good. I plan to take a picture of my 12 guage double hammer gun and post it. They were built sometime around 1890 to 1905 or thereabouts. See you Tom.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

thats pretty cool looking need to restor it for a wall hanger

Links