Just got a BM 630 Skirmish

This is a discussion on Just got a BM 630 Skirmish within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I found it at my local gunshow, being sold by a knife dealer. He was selling alot of benchmades, as well as someother brands, ...

Thread: Just got a BM 630 Skirmish

Well, I found it at my local gunshow, being sold by a knife dealer. He was selling alot of benchmades, as well as someother brands, so hopefully everything was the real deal.

Have to say though, after playing around and handling it, I was sold. I love just about everything about it, but I really like how it feels when your holding it. To me its like a bowie knife that can fold up into your pocket. I was looking to get one since summer though, so it wasnt an on the spot buy.

No pics yet though, technically my father bought it (he came down to go shooting with me), and he's going to give it to me for Christmas when I come back up. Its the black model, with the slight OD green handle.

A few questions though...

Can a gunshow sharpener (they use a wheel) sharpen it for me, or am I going to have do it by hand (I'm really terrible at sharpening, and starting on the 630 wouldnt be a joy for me).

Should I have been worried he was selling it for 190? I saw no flaws or defects, in the blade, edge or functionality. It opened smooth, locked hard with no blade play and closed just as smooth. Did I just find a pretty good deal?

And lastly, If I were to put a little 1/4th of an inch edge on the backside (it comes to a spear point) to make the point a little more sharp, would it still be legal? I'm pretty sure Texas law allows up to an inch of second edge, but I just want to check with some other Texans.

Cant wait for Christmas now!

great pick up on the skirmish,,,great knife,,,

I'm bad at sharpening too. Send it back to Benchmade and include $5 for return shipping and they will sharpen it for you.
    http://www.benchmade.com/benchmade/faq.asp
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I have a mini-Skirmish, & yes, they are nice knives. It's a titanium frame-lock design, although Benchmade calls it a "mono-lock."

If you're not comfortable with sharpening, I sure wouldn't try it with the Skirmish. The blade's S30V, which is great steel, but because of its hardness, is going to be harder to sharpen well compared to say, AUS 8 , 440C, or some other more common & softer steel blade.

I think for the money, you can't beat sending it to Benchmade with $5.

Good luck with you new knife.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have a Skirmish too. There are a few knives in the pile. I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker and touch up the blades on many knives around the house. Before the Sharpmaker I had the Lansky, stones, and pull through sharpeners. The Sharpmaker is very easy to use. I don`t let my knives get to where they can`t cut an apple. 20-30 strokes on the Sharpmaker and paper slicing sharp again. Worth the money IMHO.

http://workingperson.com/products/85...tm_medium=comp
    Keep your powder dry

I use a Chef'sChoice 120 sharpener for my BM Skirmish. Most of my knives are either ATS-34 or S30V steel and it handles them quickly and will put a shaving edge on them without much trouble.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    Send it over to Benchmade..5.00 well spent!

Sounds like you made a good score there. I agree with the others to send it to BM for sharping.

I used my Chef'sChoice 120 to sharpen my Benchmade Skirmish today after using it to clean a buck my son-in-law shot this morning. When done it's as sharp as new (perhaps sharper)without any extra marks on the blade to take away the value or good looks.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    I used my Chef'sChoice 120 to sharpen my Benchmade Skirmish today after using it to clean a buck my son-in-law shot this morning. When done it's as sharp as new (perhaps sharper)without any extra marks on the blade to take away the value or good looks.
    I've heard good things about the "Chefs Choice 120." I've heard it's very good as long as you don't let the blade get too dull. If you do that, I've heard you're better off using stones (Whether it the Sharpmaker, Lansky, or similar Smith system, which I have). Have you found that to be your experience?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'm sorry I didn't catch your question Cockedandlocked01. I've got some great DMT diamond sharpeners for really bad blades but the Chef'sChoice 120 is so handy and quick that I hardly ever need to sharpen a knife on a stone. It sets in the kitchen and in a matter of 5 or 6 seconds I've got a razer sharp knife. Sure there are times that I use the first most coarse wheels for a rough blade but it does work quite well on a dull blade. Usually I only use the middle wheels and then finish with the hone wheels.

The Chef Choice is great for kitchen knifes, but I wouldn't use it on a excellent knife.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I've been using it on high end knives for many years. (Al Mar, Randle, Benchmade and GT) It does not leave extra scratches on them like a person might do in a moments inattention with a stone. Plus it puts a razors edge on it in hardly any time. It actually looks like a factory sharpening job. The only thing it's not the greatest on is a serated edge. The hone will true it up but eventually it will wear the serated edge off. My Benchmade that I've been carrying for the past 10 years no longer has it's 1/2 serated edge but you can still read on the blade that it's made of ATS-34 steel. It's also about 1/8 of an inch shorter then it was when new.

Nice knife - I bought two when they first came out.... Limited Edition of 500. I'd buy a cheap knife and a Spyderco Sharpmaker and practice your knife sharpening skills. Its not hard. And its better than sending it off to get sharpened! And if you care about your knife never, ever let those guys at gun shows sharpen your knife on those wheels.

Sponsored Links