State laws dealing with knives

This is a discussion on State laws dealing with knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need your help. My search has not yielded any really good information on various state laws dealing with carrying knives. In particular Minnesota but a ...

Thread: State laws dealing with knives

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Need your help. My search has not yielded any really good information on various state laws dealing with carrying knives. In particular Minnesota but a good factual, accurate site dealing with all states would be great. What Iím looking for are the restrictions i.e. knife types, styles, blade lengths, etc. that are allowed for carry in each state.

Thank you. So far my Google search has provided conflicting information on Minnesota law in particular so Iím hoping one of you has a better place to find the real facts.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    I'd be curious to know if there is a current, up-to-date site about knife laws also...I recently got a sales flier from AIM Supply that featured some surplus German Paratrooper "Gravity" knives...

"Gravity knives" kinda rang a bell in my head, and sure enough I checked the Colorado Revised Statutes and discovered that they are considered a "Dangerous Weapon" in Colorado and carry a misdemeanor penalty for possession...

You may need to go to the Minnesota State Laws directly for a correct answer...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

1943 - 2009
    You might consider the book, Knife Laws of the 50 States, by David Wong, available from A.G. Russell Knives.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is my understanding that cities in many states may enact their own ordainances regarding knives.I will try to find this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I do not understand why knives like switchblades and butterflies are banned because in my experience they do take longer to deploy because you have to take the time to take the safety off. How does that make it any more dangerous than a pen in the throat?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Ever try reading the Minnesota law esp. on knives? i have. It's written to guarantee that nobody can understand it and that courts can enforce it any way they feel they want to.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Ever try reading the Minnesota law esp. on knives? i have. It's written to guarantee that nobody can understand it and that courts can enforce it any way they feel they want to.
    Aren't they all!...

I pulled up Section 609.66 Dangerous Weapons of the Minnesota Statutes and they only name "switchblade knives" as a misdemeanor dangerous weapon...
    609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.
    Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
    (1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to
    endanger the safety of another; or
    (2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and
    whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another; or
    (3) manufactures or sells for any unlawful purpose any weapon known as a slungshot or
    sand club; or
    (4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening automatically; or
    (5) possesses any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used
    unlawfully as a weapon against another
    And Section 625.16 Carrying Dangerous Weapons has a little more direct info...

And, of course, the standard disclaimer applies here: "I am not an Attorney"...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Don't know accurate or current this site is, but it may help:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

it appears i'll be ok as long as it's not auto opening, not double edged, not more than 4" (blade) long, and i never use it. but maybe more to this yet. stay tuned lol

www.handgunlaw.us has links to knife laws in all 50 states.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sponsored Links