Stupid GA knife laws

Stupid GA knife laws

This is a discussion on Stupid GA knife laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We're traveling this weekend, and even though my handgun carry permit is valid in GA, I can't carry a knife with a blade longer than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid GA knife laws

VIP Member

Stupid GA knife laws

We're traveling this weekend, and even though my handgun carry permit is valid in GA, I can't carry a knife with a blade longer than two inches, and I have to choose something more "utility" looking because I cannot carry a knife for defense.

Well, fine then. My Spyderco Cricket will do. I'll just have two guns to go along with it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

It's not the size...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Betty.......HAK. If you're going to obey the letter of the law.......

+/- $20 more than the Cricket, and you don't have to thumb it open.....

Assistant Administrator
    2" limit??!! Sheesh - have they been takin' lessons from UK bannings?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Betty,

The 2" only applies in school safety zones. Everywhere else it is 3". I wouldn't worry about. I don't know many GA cops that would even care. I guess there is always that odd chance you could run into one, but it ain't likely.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I agree with Rob: sounds like a situation made for the HAK.

Echo Combat
    I and probably 80% of the guys around here in Savannah carry knives clipped to our back pockets. I work downtown and see cops all of the time. I don't think anybody will give you any problems.

2" is a little small (what a stupid law...) but it's still enough to hit most of the important stuff. :D

http://www.gutterfighting.org/fairbairnknife.html
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If I say that---"If your gonna carry a little' tiny, weenie 2" blade,go ahead and just carry a boxcutter(they are also alot cheeper)" Will I get in "trouble" ? That's right, I got in "trouble" the last time that I said it,didn't I.------- Well----forget it then. P.S. OBTW, take a good look at the knife/weapon that is in the pics that Kenpotex has linked. I have no problem calling that a KNIFE/WEAPON !! Them ol' time knife fighters knew a real knife when they saw one.---------

FLM
    I agree with Hawkeye. I lived in Georgia for 30 years and carried a 4" folder clipped to my back pocket for many of those years. Don't worry about it.

Just for fun...In this video-clip Michael Janich, one of the top knife instructors in the US demonstrates the cutting power of small blades, including a box-cutter.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Janich, FWIW, has also, on I believe it was the official Spyderco forum boards before they reluanched them and before he left for Blackhawk, anyway the man came out and endorsed the Dodo as a great folder if laws are restrictive and it fits your hands.

He did say that the Dodo really could benefit from a thrusting point, which it does not have, but that its overall shape made for an efficent close quarters tool and that if the user was trained in such things, trapping techniques were possible with it. Typically small knives aren't conducive to such techniques.

Assistant Administrator
    Very useful vid - thx. Sure as heck shows just how one slashing move can do serious damage - let alone actual thrust effects.

He is probably right when he says that an edged weapon close-quarters attack is the most fearsome and difficult to defend against. The gun can win - but only if there is time to bring it into play - and there we have a classic situation where awareness could maybe save the day. A reason to adopt and practice yellow all the time.

If condition white then - possibly it is all over!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Hi guys - I'm back from a weekend vacation in Chattanooga (which meant an I-24 dip into GA and our hotel was there). Being the holiday weekend and mrshonts can sometimes have a lead foot , I was hoping to avoid trouble.

I think knife blade-length laws are silly, especially when I can legally carry a gun (or two) there.

Don't get me wrong - short knives are very handy - I often carry a MOD Ladyhawk with my BM Mini-Stryker.

I saw Rock City.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Very useful vid - thx. Sure as heck shows just how one slashing move can do serious damage - let alone actual thrust effects.
    You're welcome I really like the vid because it really puts things into perspective.

He is probably right when he says that an edged weapon close-quarters attack is the most fearsome and difficult to defend against. The gun can win - but only if there is time to bring it into play -
    I definately agree that the knife is the worst weapon to encounter at close-quarters (which is exactly the reason that I carry at least two all the time ).
    It's a dangerous job to deal with an amateur with a knife; if the guy knows what he's doing, it goes from dangerous to "damn near suicidal." A few months ago, I had the opportunity to train with Kelly Worden, after seeing someone with his level of expertise(the guy is amazing), I'm convinced that a 12-gauge from 15 yards would be the only way to disarm someone like that. Thankfully, 99.9% of the population has nowhere near that amount of skill.

and there we have a classic situation where awareness could maybe save the day. A reason to adopt and practice yellow all the time.

If condition white then - possibly it is all over!
    Exactly!

Matt K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links