HA HA HA... My Boss

This is a discussion on HA HA HA... My Boss within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't generally loan my knife out to coworkers or casual acquaintences. In my mind if they understood how to properly use such tools they'd ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HA HA HA... My Boss

I don't generally loan my knife out to coworkers or casual acquaintences. In my mind if they understood how to properly usesuch tools they'd already be carrying one of their own. And since none of these folks are under 40 or so it's not my place to teach them how to run their daily lives by "big boy rules".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I always have a "polite company" knife on me (a Kershaw Leek) to open boxes, etc.

I also have a couple of serious knives that I alternate carrying that don't get used for day to day stuff.

None of my former bosses had problems with me carrying a knife. I can only think of one that would have been OK with me carrying a gun.

i work in NYC and i cant even carry my swiss army knife or leatherman ,,its considered a weapon ...????,,,imaine that,,lol

I truly feel sorry for some of you. It's good to live in the wild west (NM) where being armed is not such an issue. That said, I work for myself, by myself so I always have a gun or 3 handy as well as a knife or 2. I really can't imagine working anywhere I couldn't at least have a knife. I use it at least a half dozen times a day. I'd rather leave the house without pants than without my knife.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Well, the other day my boss needed to cut something small and asked if I had a pocket knife. I hesitated for a minute...

Then said yeah... handed him my new Cold Steel Recon 1 knife...lol...
    He was like.."what are you doing carryin around a weapon... this is illegal to have" I was LAUGHING so hard inside. I played it off like I had no clue... "oh, really? huh... that's not good.. I don't want to get in trouble for something stupid like that..." "I'll get a new knife" LOL

Anyone else have a similar situation?
    No. I carry a small, discreet "decoy" for just such a situation.
    Why expose the fact that you have the "weapon" on you, attracting unwanted attention and possible employment trouble?!

I'll bet you're a bit nervous now. See?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    i work in NYC and i cant even carry my swiss army knife or leatherman ,,its considered a weapon ...????,,,imaine that,,lol
    I don't know about you folks, but I was pondering this kind of thing earlier tonight. It was getting me very depressed, realizing that we essentially live in a world that criminalizes and ostracizes us for being prepared to defend ourselves, to defend what's good.

And it really doesn't seem like it's on the way to getting better, either.

We have to be careful about not bringing our defensive tools to places where we will be criminals for having them.

This world is INSANE.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey
    This world is INSANE.
    Which the exact reason why I carry!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Last major job I had at a chain coffee shop... Everyone had huge knives. My personal was a Gerber folder 5". We needed them so we could open the big five pound bags of beans. I was only questioned about it once - from a regular customer who happened to be a local LEO.
    "You know that size blade is illegal in town. What do you need it for?"
    "Oh yeah? Well I can't carry a gun at work and I can't one of you around all the time..."
    "Fair enough. Can I get a grande caramel macchiato?"

These guys tried to recruit me on more than one occasion. I still have this guys card if I ever change my mind.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    I did a booboo last week. I was at the Huma Resources office and I was asked to help open some boxes so I produced my Boker Subcom and did so. One of the HR people commented that it was against corporate regs to have such thing with me. For once I was polite and did not say the first thing that popped out of my brain and instead i also pulled my Gerber multitool & I told her that I regulary use my knife and tool at work to assist guest and associates alike almost every day. She did not complain anymore but I could see she was not very happy being caught between the company reg that say "no weapons allowed" and the company reg that makes it darn clear we are there to keep our guests happy.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I always carry my spyderco endura4 wave on my strong side,and kershaw ken onion blur tanto on weak side,and everybody at work knows it. Actually I was so excited when I got my wave opener, I was showing everybody the action and cut my finger (doh! good reminder to be careful around weapons) in front of one of my managers.

Another time my service manager(same one,lol) asked me to drive a client home,he pulled me aside and stated "do you have your gun in the car?" I said yeah,"good,you should be fine than."

I've yet to see a no weapons policy anywhere,I think once I have my CCW it might be a don't ask dont tell,lol...smart carry p3at wha?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    No. I carry a small, discreet "decoy" for just such a situation.
    Why expose the fact that you have the "weapon" on you, attracting unwanted attention and possible employment trouble?!

I'll bet you're a bit nervous now. See?
    Yea,

I was think the same thing here. Why did you opt to hand him the big steel? Now you have alerted him to the fact that you may have a (in his eyes) large weapon on you. He will be watching for bulges and knife clips on pants pockets.

I personally would have kept the knife to myself and continued to fly under the radar. No since in drawing unwanted attention.

IMHO
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    All this reminds me of that terrible KFC commercial where everybody is yelling "SUSANNE HAS A KNIFE" ...and the guy walks up and is all like "put the knife down"

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    I thought it was a pretty good commercial showing the stupidity of people and the Victim Culture entrenched at the workplace.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    That reminds me of the KFC commercial about the woman that has a knife, and the office starts to freak. it is the plastic knife used to cut her chicken....and some guy is trying to 'talk her down'....hilarious....
    I guess I wouldn't allow my boss to borrow my knife anymore if he was going to react that way....would a ball bat on a chain be less offensive?

did a quick reply, and as I went back to read the rest of the post...someone else already mentioned my funny commercial...that will teach me....I guess I am glad someone else found the humor in the commercial.
    Last edited by snowdoctor; November 1st, 2007 at 10:35 PM. Reason: oops didn't read all the posts
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    That reminds me of the KFC commercial about the woman that has a knife, and the office starts to freak. it is the plastic knife used to cut her chicken....and some guy is trying to 'talk her down'....hilarious....
    I guess I wouldn't allow my boss to borrow my knife anymore if he was going to react that way....would a ball bat on a chain be less offensive?

did a quick reply, and as I went back to read the rest of the post...someone else already mentioned my funny commercial...that will teach me....I guess I am glad someone else found the humor in the commercial.
    Yeh, but I'm glad you mentioned the part about the plastic knife. I haven't seen the commercial and didn't understand it until your post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links