HA HA HA... My Boss

This is a discussion on HA HA HA... My Boss within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My previous job (retail, first job at that) involved people mostly alright with my Gerber Paraframe (it's not hidden, just clipped in my pocket and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HA HA HA... My Boss

BAC
    My previous job (retail, first job at that) involved people mostly alright with my Gerber Paraframe (it's not hidden, just clipped in my pocket and fairly obvious if you glimpsed the silver clip on black slacks), but it flipped the District Manager out. She was trying to get creative with opening a box of random shipment stuff, so I got frustrated and whipped the knife out, had the tape cut, and saw the most priceless face I'd ever seen on a person.

In the restaurant biz people don't care about it, and mostly don't notice. Only two people have brought it up, but after shrugging and telling them "It's a tool" they don't make any kind of deal about it and mostly ignore it.

The day I'm at a job and someone sends me home because of that paraframe is the day I submit resignation papers and hunt for a new job.

-B

2. Remove Ads

CelticWolf, I just have to say. I looked up the Recon 1 since you mentioned it and found it was just what I was looking for. Thanks.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Which the exact reason why I carry!
    No, I mean it's insane in the way it is not only violent and crazy, but there are powerful forces that try to keep good people from being able to take a defensive posture against that insanity.

So you can say that the insanity is why you carry; what I'm saying is that part of the insanity is the taking away of your right to do so in the first place!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I did a booboo last week. I was at the Huma Resources office and I was asked to help open some boxes so I produced my Boker Subcom and did so. One of the HR people commented that it was against corporate regs to have such thing with me. For once I was polite and did not say the first thing that popped out of my brain and instead i also pulled my Gerber multitool & I told her that I regulary use my knife and tool at work to assist guest and associates alike almost every day. She did not complain anymore but I could see she was not very happy being caught between the company reg that say "no weapons allowed" and the company reg that makes it darn clear we are there to keep our guests happy.
    If it's company policy to not allow any kind of knife ("weapon"), and someone from the company needs the assistance of my knife, it's my policy to just pretend I don't have one.

They set the policy. They can reap the detriment that comes when someone needs the tool that they prohibited. Idiots!

Maybe some idiot up the chain of command will come to understand that biting your nose to spite your face is stupid. Let them be helpless without a knife.

This woman you mentioned may not have written the policy, but there she was trying to enforce it even as enforcing it would have left her unable to cut what she needed cut! What a moron!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Some of you are better people than I am. If someone needed a knife to open a box, then upon seeing it commented that the knife was against company policy, the knife would go back in my pocket - "what knife?" and they could tear at the box with their teeth. Or if the box was already open, I'd go get packing tape to close it back up. Can't have evidence of my violating company policy after all.

Good thing I no longer work in a "normal" work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Then said yeah... handed him my new Cold Steel Recon 1 knife...lol...
    He was like.."what are you doing carryin around a weapon... this is illegal to have" I was LAUGHING so hard inside. I played it off like I had no clue... "oh, really? huh... that's not good.. I don't want to get in trouble for something stupid like that..." "I'll get a new knife"
    Personally, I would have told him "it's not a weapon it's a tool, and no, it's not illegal". End of story.

Now basically you've:

1) Agreed with him it is a weapon (when was the last time you used your firearm to open a box?)
    2) Agreed it is illegal.

Everyone: Next time someone asks you for a knife, reply: "Why, where's yours?".

The more we pander to this sillyness, we are basically submitting to it.

-john

I have never worked in a business that allowed employees to carry. In this area, they seem so rare that you have no real choice in the matter. The only ones I know of are the gun stores.

And the policies all specify weapons with pretty clear and broad definitions, not just firearms.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    I have never worked in a business that allowed employees to carry. In this area, they seem so rare that you have no real choice in the matter. The only ones I know of are the gun stores.

And the policies all specify weapons with pretty clear and broad definitions, not just firearms.
    I think the sane way to define an HR policy is around legality. That you don't allow illegal items and you don't allow people to intimidate or threaten others. The end.

If your firearm/knife is legal and nobody knows about it, why should it be against policy? Indeed, why should there be a policy? It's covered under the more generic issue.

I think in general, HR policies are targeted at morons.

Q: Can I call my co-workers 'hot cakes'?!
    A: Since you obviously have no common sense, here are a list of approved words and phrases you may use while at the job.

-john

Had a security guard where I used to work (I retired) comment one time that "everyone knows a knife is a weapon." I replied, "So is a credit card and a ball-point pen." His jaw dropped and I just walked away, smiling to myself.

Having a C.P.L. (CCW) in Michigan has no bearing on knife carry and it does not change what is legal or not.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Having a C.P.L. (CCW) in Michigan has no bearing on knife carry and it does not change what is legal or not.
    Yeah... im stupid.. I re-read the statute.

MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links