Florida Knives

Florida Knives

This is a discussion on Florida Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I understand it, without a CCW permit a person is allowed to carry a knife max 4" (3" in some counties) because it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Knives

Florida Knives

As I understand it, without a CCW permit a person is allowed to carry a knife max 4"
    (3" in some counties) because it is considered an everyday pocket knife and not a weapon. Can anyone shed any insight?
    What about if the knife has a pocket clip so that it is technically not concealed (you can see the clip)???

BAC
    There are no blade-length rules in Florida. Hell, knives aren't included in the definition of "weapon" in Florida. Like screwdrivers, they can become weapons, but are not defined exclusively as weapons under law. Under Florida law you can carry a pocket knife of any reasonable blade length (undefined term) and it is assumed that the knife is just a tool.

-B

As long as the knife is not able to launch the blade as a projectile it's legal in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by wotblake View Post
    As long as the knife is not able to launch the blade as a projectile it's legal in Florida.
    I agree. Could not find anything during a search of the Florida Statutes regarding knives other than the no projectile issue.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanx for the responses?

Assisted openers are fine, also...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So assisted opener are fine but what about the super "deadly" auto opener switchblade.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

The length of the blade wasn't addressed in the statutes. The FL Supreme Court found that a common pocketknife is not a weapon if the blade is under 4". They also found that there could be instances where a blade greater than 4" was still not a weapon. There have been other court cases on this topic (probably because the statutes were so unclear).

Also, blade length is irrelevant when schools are involved. Can't have a common pocket knife at a school, school grounds, bus stop or school bus.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Also, blade length is irrelevant when schools are involved. Can't have a common pocket knife at a school, school grounds, bus stop or school bus.
    Uh... never heard that one. Mind helpin' a brotha out? Where'd you find that statute?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Uh... never heard that one. Mind helpin' a brotha out? Where'd you find that statute?

-B

Also, Gutmacher's book pg 106. For what it's worth, I rely on his interpretation rather than mine -- I'm not a lawyer.

I went to the police dept. at my university and asked if I could have a poket knife (didn't display mine incase). The chief said that students are allowed to carry pocket knives because they use them to peel fruit and such and that anything could be used as a weapon. All he said is that I cant bring some thing stupid like a sword, wave a knife around (threatningly), and it really should fit in your hand. (I should have specified if he meant closed or open). He did mention that it is up the the officers disgretion. And that they have taken away knives and given them back later.

BAC

Also, Gutmacher's book pg 106. For what it's worth, I rely on his interpretation rather than mine -- I'm not a lawyer.
    Thanks for the update.

Strictly speaking, knives aren't allowed within 1,000 feet of school grounds unless part of a school-sanctioned event where one is required and where it is not being used in a "rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner". That's a shame too, since a knife is one of the most useful tools to keep on your person.

Damn.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Thanks for the update.

Strictly speaking, knives aren't allowed within 1,000 feet of school grounds unless part of a school-sanctioned event where one is required and where it is not being used in a "rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner". That's a shame too, since a knife is one of the most useful tools to keep on your person.

Damn.

-B
    I believe knives would be treated the same as a gun. If you have a CWP then you can carry within 1,000 feet of a school.

I believe knives would be treated the same as a gun. If you have a CWP then you can carry within 1,000 feet of a school.
    I agree with ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links