Blade Styles (especially Emersons)

This is a discussion on Blade Styles (especially Emersons) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone! I was wondering what people thought of the different styles of Emerson blades and their primary uses, i.e. which blade styles are best ...

Thread: Blade Styles (especially Emersons)

Blade Styles (especially Emersons)

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what people thought of the different styles of Emerson blades and their primary uses, i.e. which blade styles are best for daily dual-purpose use, which blades are better as a primarily defensive weapon, which blades are better for slicing and which blades are better for penetration.

Also, is one style of blade necessarily "stronger" than another?

Thanks for the education!

--Dan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The chisel ground tantos (CQC7s) are probably the best "penetrators." The chisel ground makes for a strong blade, but not necessarily a great precision cutter, as the chisel grind isn't symmetrical.

The Commanders, Bowie blade, Banana blade, etc., ones with "supposedly" duel grinds, will be the best cutters. Unfortunately, no Emersons are "true" duel grind knives. Even the Commander (A popular blade shape), isn't a "true" duel grind. It's almost a chisel grind.

If you want a VERY secure locking Emerson, I recommend the HD series or any of his titanium frame locks.

While Emersons are very good knives, I think there are better ones out there for the money. Frame locks tend be strong, more reliable locking mechanism than liner locks.

A good knife for the money, especially is you're considering spending in the area of $150-200+ (What Emersons run), is a Benchmade Skirmish/mini-Skirmish. A relatively long blade ratio to handle length, S30V blade, & a titanium frame lock. If you look around, you can get new ones for under $150 & many times you can find a lightly used one for around $120 (Give or take $10 either way), on the knife Forums.

If you're looking for a budget knife, you really can't beat a waved Spyderco Delica 4/Endura 4. You can probably get one of each for around $100. You can get the ZDP-189 versions for under $100.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    Since you're from PA. keep in mind that dagger and double edge blades are a taboo-no-can-do in Pennsylvania.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the information! I still have a lot to learn about knives, and I appreciate the help!

-Dan

"Tanto" style points are actually not great penetrators. This is a common belief thanks to lots of marketing hype. Every test you'll ever see that is run honestly with side to side testing of various shapes will prove it. They are great slashing meat cutters, that's what they really do best. The japanese blades they were adapted from were slashing blades primarily. They are also a little more work to sharpen well.

Don't limit yourself to one maker while looking as stated above. There are a lot of really good knives around these days. Make sure you abide by local laws and there will still be dozens of great choices.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Well I use an Emerson CQC-8 for EDC and love the wave design blade for everything.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

My limited research shows that almost all stabbing military weapons had a triangular shaped blade for easy in AND easy out and never serrated. Serrated edges are difficult to sharpen. IMHO, it's better to have a full blade, tip to hilt.

I carry a Spiderco Delica for the blade shape, positive locking, slippery-when-wet grips, thumb hole operation rather than a small thumb stud, lower price if lost, left embedded or confiscated and it doesn't sound like a Ninja sword attack WMD if I ever have to defend myself in court. ("It's a pocket knife, your Honor.")

For slashing a serrated edge is best though. A serrated egde is also good for cutting through material such as pants, coats, seatbelts, etc. A tanto blade has a great ability to punch through objects. I personally like a drop point blade size about 3 and 3/4 inches in a folder. Its similar to the design of most hunting knives, and is a great general purpose blade. I personally carry a SOG, and have always been impressed with how well they hold an edge.

Administrator
    I believe that the abrupt angular chisel tip of the "Tanto" is an American rendition of the Tanto and is not a true Japanese Tanto blade point.

Links