Benchmade question

Benchmade question

This is a discussion on Benchmade question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little help here. I've carried a Case Russlock for years (since before tactical folders became widespread) and always liked the way the cam lever ...

Thread: Benchmade question

Benchmade question

A little help here.

I've carried a Case Russlock for years (since before tactical folders became widespread) and always liked the way the cam lever opened it similar to a straight razor. I recently acquired a Benchmade Monochrome, and it seems really well made and balanced. I've never owned a partially serrated blade, and it will take some getting used to. I'd love any comments on either.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I regard Benchmade as one of the best brands, if not the best. Many Benchmade models have the serrations. I did note on the Benchmade website that their resharpening service excludes resharpening serrations.

I have a Benchmade miniStryker 905, now discontinued, all models of which include serrations. I would have preferred no serrations but chose the 905 because it matched my specifications in all other respects.

Lead Moderator
    for what use? I like my serrated blades for work use, but for fighting would rather have a plain blade. Benchmade make great knives anyway. Pricey, but worth it.

VIP Member
    I prefer plain-edge blades, but sometimes I will go for the partial serrations "just because." For fine cutting, those serrations snag, but they're good if you're needing to saw through something a bit tougher and don't care about neat slices.

Hi lt8tmgya, Actually, the Mini-Stryker did come in a plain-edge blade; I have one. Here it is!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Camjr,

Because of my volunteer service as an EMT and firefighter, as well as the fact that I'm studying to be an engineer (you'd be amazed how often I use my knife in the shop at school) I always opt for serations. Then again, I'm often using my knife on ropes, seatbelts, and other stuff that is not very blade friendly.

I don't have a benchmade, although I'm looking into one...I need a new knife. Personal choice, I prefer the partial serations. It's the best of both worlds...
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

I carry an Emerson CQB. Very similar to Benchmade knives and well worth the extra bucks we both paid.

My knife fighting instructor has made a few comments on serrated edged knives ( his has been custom ground to have an inset edge with a sharp hook at each end in place of the serration. If I can get a pic of it to show you what I mean I'll pots it for you.)

His comments: (not exact quotes mind you)

Keep in mind, as brutal as it might sound, a serated knife is designed to do one thing, cut flesh. Just look at any steak knife you use!

Something else to keep in mind, forensics can easily match the serrations of a knife to a puncture wound.

So, just like a gun, don't draw it in self defense unless you intend to use it.

Use it wisely,

Mike

Benchmade makes great knives, I'm trying to resist the urge to buy the new Blackwood Skirmish.

As far a serrated vs. plain, I prefer plain for everything except heavy-duty work (cutting rope, strap, etc.). I don't even like partial-serrations because you only have half a blade. I do carry a serrated delica for utility but my "fighters" are plain edged. Just my 2-cents.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have Benchmade Instigator. They come in plain blade, with a Wharncliff style blade. Also under $40.
    Attached Images

I carry a Benchmade Mini-Reflex auto. It is part flat and part serrated.

Sure, they cost but I think they are worth it.

Wayne

VIP Member
    That Instigator looks like a great knife (and cheap, too!). I hadn't seen that model before.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I prefer plain edges. Serrated edges are easy to sharpen if you use the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

If that's the one that uses triangular-shaped stones, I've got one and it works fairly well. However, it just doesn't seem to ever get the serrations as sharp as they were from the factory and that bugs me (I'll admit, I'm slightly obsessive when it comes to sharp knives and clean guns ).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsored Links