Benchmade Pika

This is a discussion on Benchmade Pika within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone seen this new budget-friendly addition to the BM line? What do you think of it?...

Thread: Benchmade Pika

Benchmade Pika

Has anyone seen this new budget-friendly addition to the BM line? What do you think of it?
    Attached Images
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Got one...love it!

I have a BM Ascent which is very very close in design to the Pika. And priced the same too. I love mine. I think the Pika replaced the Ascent.

I usually carry it when I know I will be going offshore for work. In case I lose it, it won't cause me too much grief.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

spend a few more $ and get one of the axis-lock models instead of a liner-lock.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    spend a few more $ and get one of the axis-lock models instead of a liner-lock.
    +1

But for what it's worth, you just can't go wrong with a good BM.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The B/M red class. along with Spydercos Byrd line, are very good budget knives. If you're going to get a knife made in China, it should be one of those. Otherwise, yeah, I spend a little extra & get an axis lock (I believe the Griptilians are the least expensive of the their axis locks).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

It's my favorite knife or at least the Benchmade that I have been carrying for the past several years looks like that. Light weight ATS-34 steel. Easy 1 hand opening almost as fast as an automatic. I used to carry an automatic and when I got the Benchmade I quit carrying the autos. That being said I'm a stickler for good steel. If it's not ATS-34 or S30V steel I won't purchase it. I've got 3 Benchmade like it just in case I loose one. I gave one to my father and wear one for work and use the other at home. I also carry a Leatherman mostly for the pliers and screwdrivers.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    After getting & trading my 3rd axis lock, I will say that if budget is an issue, the B/M Pika & mini-Pika are good knives. The later models are using 440C steel, too.

The problem I have with the axis lock, is that my large hands (& it's just me), sometimes gets in the way of the axis lock on the other side. My hand will "hang-up" the mechanism maybe 2 out of 10 practice flips/openings (Enough to be a concern). If that's not a problem, I'd highly recommend the axis locks.

I've had a couple B/M A/Os & highly recommend those, too. They're liner locks, but I've never had a problem with them. I had a 672 D2 Apparition, but traded it & went up in size to a 913 D2 Nitrous Stryker. The D2 just seems to be a little sharper & holds it better (Just by a little bit) than the 154CM they typically use.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Bummer, if they are not using ATS-34 or S30V steel I'll not be buying any more. Why are so many companies going back to 440C? I never liked the way it held an edge.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I just figured out that the Pika is the newer version of the Benchmade 812SBT Mini-AFCK knife I loved so much. That hole makes the folder as fast as an automatic to open and it keeps the law enforcement folks happy. I just wish they would have stuck with ATS-34 or gone to the S30V steel. I like the way they both sharpen and hold an edge. I guess I'm going to have to shop on Ebay for some more 812SBT knives. The original one that I still carry no longer has the serrated edge and it's about 3/8 of an inch shorter then it was new. It's still a handy quality knife.

Links