CCW and knifes - Page 2

CCW and knifes

This is a discussion on CCW and knifes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Smith & Wesson "SWAT" knife. Its a 3.5 inch blade and can handle just about anything you put it through. I use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW and knifes

I carry a Smith & Wesson "SWAT" knife. Its a 3.5 inch blade and can handle just about anything you put it through.

I use it every day, several times a day. I've carried one every day since I was about 13 or 14 and I can't think of a day thats gone by where I haven't used my knife for something.

As far as having it for a weapon, it can come in handy. If someone gets too close to you and tries to gain control of your pistol, a knife to the arm or chest can get them to back off pretty damn quick. Then you can regain control of your pistol.

Not to mention, the un-armed victim laws prevent us from carrying guns in some places....A knife is good to have if you can't carry a gun.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I normally carry a Benchmade folder w/ATS-34 steel or a GT non-auto with ATS-34 blade. I don't carry them to defend myself. That is what the Sig .40 is for. I also carry a Leatherman mostly for the pliers and screwdriver.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    i carry a leatherman multi-tool AND a leather man 3" folder that i can flip open w/ one hand very easily. My university looks at these items as tools... too bad they don't see guns this way.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Administrator
    I personally would not be without one.
    Especially if you do not carry a BUG then you should have a knife.
    Catastrophic firearm failures do not happen very often but, all firearms are machines and machines "can and do" break at very inopportune times.
    I want to be able to fillet BG Meat if I need to do it in order to save my own skin.
    In addition to that my mindset (in general) will not allow me to be out in the world without a reliable emergency cutting instrument.
    Murphy keeps writing new laws every day.
    A knife is a valuable tool that has enabled Man (and Yes, Betty...Woman too) to cope with the expected and the unexpected - ever since we first learned to flint-Knapp a razor sharp edge.
    The knife/blade is and has been integral part of our human history since pre-history and that is reason enough for me to continue on with the tradition.
    Billions of ancestors could not all be wrong and we are NOT as civilized as we think we are.
    Buy a good, strong knife and learn how to use it and keep it very sharp.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My knifes are tools that do double service as a back-up weapon if need be. When I say tool, I mean it get's used for whatever job it can be used for, and that's more than a few times a day. Miggy, Sixto, and JD said it first.

My Grandfather taught me at a very early age that a man must have a knife on him or he's less of a man than he should be......and he was talking about a knife as a tool, not as a weapon.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Scenario:
    You've foolishly allowed your awareness level too low and an attacker reveals him/herself at EXTREMELY close range (ie striking distance).
    A H2H fight ensues and before you can draw your pistol, you end up on the ground and on the bottom at that. This is where that tactical folder, neatly clipped into a cargo pocket on the side of your pants, comes in handy. Deploy and attack vitals, both damaging your attacker and gets his attention away from you and onto the knife. This should also give you the opportunity and time to deploy your firearm and finish the job if necessary while he/she is already writhing in pain from the kidney and lung puncture wounds you gave them with the knife. Granted this is also assuming you've taken the step to get training with that knife too. A knife is a great defensive and offensive tool. It's even better when the user knows HOW and WHEN to use it.
    Not to be picky but if you're already hand-to-hand, and on the ground, assuming with the bad guy on top, the time it takes to draw that knife can get you killed. If you're not trained in ground fighting the ground is a bad place to be, and you need both hands to defend yourself and get out.

Remember that adage about you being the weapon and the instrument is just that? A knife is good to have around for utilitarian purposes, don't keep me wrong, but if someone's in range to strike with a knife they're already too close and you probably won't have time to deploy any weapon save for your hands/fists/elbows/knees/head. Your last sentence rings very true.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not to be picky but if you're already hand-to-hand, and on the ground, assuming with the bad guy on top, the time it takes to draw that knife can get you killed. If you're not trained in ground fighting the ground is a bad place to be, and you need both hands to defend yourself and get out.

Remember that adage about you being the weapon and the instrument is just that? A knife is good to have around for utilitarian purposes, don't keep me wrong, but if someone's in range to strike with a knife they're already too close and you probably won't have time to deploy any weapon save for your hands/fists/elbows/knees/head. Your last sentence rings very true.

-B
    That's why I had the last sentence in there and no argument with your second to last statement if the attacker has already deployed a knife. And yes I am trained. Since age 15 steadily in 1995 until last year. I know when I can and can't use both hands on the ground and why. And the time it takes to deploy said knife when it's an assisted opener clipped to a cargo pocket and you TRAIN specifically for that option...is quite quick.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of the run-ins you have on the street aren't going to be that well trained. The H2H attackers are going to be brawlers at best(since I grew up in baltimore I do have first hand knowledge on that brawler statement!). Most of them don't seem to have any formal training. It's all what they've picked up on the street or seen on tv and try to replicate. At least 80% of the fights I ended up in growing up for some reason or another the attacker ended up bum-rushing me after a short-lived attempt at an unskilled brawl. That's why I usually advocate folks take some form of MIXED martial arts rather than just sticking with traditional karate or taekwondo for self defense.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I always carry my Emerson full-size Commander and gets used almost on a daily basis for opening things and can be used for self-defense if the need every arises although I see the LLC more suited for this purpose but is not always carried.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I routinely have at least 3 knives on me. One is for last-ditch efforts, gun retention and defense only. The other two are for utility purposes. I use a knife at LEAST seven times every single day.

In a gun retention situation, I'm no match for most anyone hand-to-hand, but a knife can also be a great equalizer. I'd MUCH rather have that than nothing at all.

I carried a knife years before I ever carried a gun and I used it for those years, too.

VIP Member
    My knife is my daily universal tool...use it all the time,work or play.

BAC
    packinnova, I think you're spot on about how quick a trained-with tool can come out, but I'm leery about assisted openers. I guess to me it's one more thing that can fail, however justified or not that statement is. I suppose I should consider one...

Anyway, Limatunes, even though you're fairly small some hand-to-hand training that lets you emphasize grappling (the most likely scenario a woman would use hand-to-hand) might surprise you at what can get a person off you. As long as things like eye gouges, skin twists, and jamming fingers into sides of ribs is something you're cool with.

-B

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Anyway, Limatunes, even though you're fairly small some hand-to-hand training that lets you emphasize grappling (the most likely scenario a woman would use hand-to-hand) might surprise you at what can get a person off you. As long as things like eye gouges, skin twists, and jamming fingers into sides of ribs is something you're cool with.

-B
    Agreed.

I have been able to do a little practicing with that kind of stuff with my husband instructing.. He has taught me how to throw a pretty mean punch.

But I'll never be disillusioned as to what I can and cannot do physically. I may be able to bite, kick, eye-gouge, and everything else, (and YES, I'll do it all to get away), but I'd much rather have SOMETHING to help.

The classes I want to take are as follows (but not necessarily in this order):
    1. Defensive Knife
    2. Intermediate Handgun
    3. Hand-to-Hand
    4. Advanced Handgun...

And so on and so on.

I may not always have a gun. I may not always have a knife... but dog-gonnit, I'll always have my hands.... and my fingernails!

There's a good knife right there!

If I carry nothing else...which is almost never...I ALWAYS have a knife on my person...used almost daily...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, my neighbors got tired of me shooting packages to open them, so I had to get a knife. OK, seriously, yes, I carry two folders, one on each side, ready for emergencies. Most emergencies for which a blade is indicated have nothing to do with fighting. Is an elevator or subway door holding someone by the hair, purse strap, or backpack strap? Is a panicked animal dragging its owner, or tangled in something, causing injuries to itself? Is someone's hair/clothing caught in machinery? If someone is trapped inside a vehicle, the doors jammed, removing the windshield channel gasket, and then prying the glass from its bedding, can be done with a small, sturdy knife, and folks, I have personally encountered this latter situation, which is a major reason I carry TWO STURDY BLADES. In that particular incident, I did have the blade with me, and the victim was already beyond hope, but I will never be without a stout blade. (Cruz, rest in peace, brother.)
    Last edited by Rexster; November 18th, 2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typos

well since were talking about knifes,hope yall dont mind this question.
    anyway i have an old buck folding lockblade about 3"(blade that is)
    the leather case it came with as belt loop on it.my question is,wearing
    that dose it need to be exposed or can it be cocealed under shir or
    coat without any legal issuses.not to familary with mich knife laws
    so i should take time to learn.(didnt see much info on diff. websites)
    thanks in advance for any input
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links