CCW and knifes

CCW and knifes

This is a discussion on CCW and knifes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is SIXTO´s recent thread didn´t want to hijack it. This isnt a legal thread, but I want to hear about other peoples unwritten laws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW and knifes

Question CCW and knifes

This is SIXTO´s recent thread didn´t want to hijack it.

This isnt a legal thread, but I want to hear about other peoples unwritten laws of CCW. I have my own I'll share soon enough... but what are yours?

An example is; You must visit WalMart before your permit is valid or your holster must match your belt.
    Or on the more serious side, how about you must carry with at least one reload, or .
    Now the part is what I am concerned about is:if you're going to carry a gun, a good knife is a must.
    WHY???

I do have a Sog Trident and the reason I bought it is the ease of the assisted opening.I do not carry it. (or at least not yet)

So why a good knife is a must? I have no doubt in my shooting skills, as I am an active competition shooter, but I have nothing to do with knifes other then one made me see my own bone ...no I wasn´t the one who was holding it.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

JD
    Administrator
    Well for one, I use my knife almost every day, while my gun stays holstered, but that's not defense related.

My thing is is during a weapons retention scenario, if you have someone trying to grab your gun, and one of your hands is busy trying to keep your gun in the holster, a knife in the weak hand is a good thing to have, and I'd rather have it than just a fist.

That's just my .02.

VIP Member
    1) As a tool. I find myself using a knife almost everyday for cutting stuff. I actually carry 2 knives
    2) Back up weapon. There are places that post no guns but they don't say a thing about knives (post Office comes to mind) or you are not carrying for other reasons Too sick or medicated) so at last I have some sort of tool to defend myself. Also if somebody is trying to grab your weapon and you are struggling to keep it, you may surprise them with a couple of well placed "stings" from your knife.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    In addition to what JD and Miggy said... what else are you going to use in the field in a casing is lodged in the chamber? Knives can open locked doors, they can also jam one shut. In a pinch, they can act as a screwdriver. You can patch most common vehicle problems with a knife. A knife is also an essential first aid tool.
    I can go on and on....
    "Just blame Sixto"

I use my knife at least twice a day. From making a P.B. and J. to opening a box.
    The gun I don't use twice a day ...thank God.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Cool

Holster & Mag holder (and there should be a Mag in it) must match belt and a knife is a must with matching leather sheath/holder....all should be black leather.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Although I carry various knives and guns daily, if it came down to cold hard survival, I would be happier with only a knife then if I only had a gun. The one thing people ask for in a major disaster is a knife.

Asked a survival instructor what he would carry in a survival situation.

"A 3" locking folder, my keys and a Bic lighter."

Seems like a strange assortment to me. Why?

"'Cause that's what I have in my pockets all the time. You rarely get to plan a survival situation. Learn to use what you routinely have in your pockets."

I learned a lot that day.

I use a knife every day in my job. I keep it very sharp and it does it's job well. I also carry a firearm every day and hope and pray it never does it's job, but it will be there if it's ever needed. I consider a good knife essential to my daily preparations to face the world. It could be a simple every day tool, it could become a weapon, it could free me or another from a jammed seatbelt after an accident, it can be used to fix things in a jam, it can also become an excellent survival tool if something should happen to put me in one! But it can't do anything if I don't carry it!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    My 5" blade folder is a tactical back-up weapon.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

R3
    You don't ever have to reload a knife.
    -R3

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    The gun I don't use twice a day ...thank God.
    Yeah, might be time to consider moving to a different area if you did!!

I have carried a knife everyday since I was 13. I have used it to cut someone out of a tangled seatbelt in a roll-over accident. I use it everyday at work. I feel so naked without it on.

BTW I only carry Spyderco. I have seen to many assisted opening knives fail. I also do not like liner locks. I trust my life to my Spyderco's. I have many different models for various applications. Self-defence (my non-work knife) is a Police model in plain edge. General daily carry was an Endura model (zytel handle for light weight) but that knife is over 10 years old (still sharp) Now I carry a Native. It is smaller and not 50/50 edge like my Endura but I really like it.

On another note I did have a new Endura but on a work related trip to England, it was confiscated by British Police while site seeing in London at Buckingham Palace. I guess in that country you can only carry non-locking knives.

VIP Member
    I always carry a knife, an MOD Mark II - built like a tank, cuts like my mother's tongue. I feel completely naked without a knife. It's been very handy, defending me against cardboard boxes and pieces of rope.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I usually carry a small Gerber for utility purposes.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

JD, Sixto, etc...already covered pretty much everything. I've carried some form of pocket knife or defensive tool since I was in early grade school when my grandfather gave me my first pocket knife (used to belong to HIS grandfather and he passed it to me).

As far as the defensive need for carry it's vast and varied. I can think of at least one scenario where a knife is necessary even if you are carrying a firearm.

Scenario:
    You've foolishly allowed your awareness level too low and an attacker reveals him/herself at EXTREMELY close range (ie striking distance).
    A H2H fight ensues and before you can draw your pistol, you end up on the ground and on the bottom at that. This is where that tactical folder, neatly clipped into a cargo pocket on the side of your pants, comes in handy. Deploy and attack vitals, both damaging your attacker and gets his attention away from you and onto the knife. This should also give you the opportunity and time to deploy your firearm and finish the job if necessary while he/she is already writhing in pain from the kidney and lung puncture wounds you gave them with the knife. Granted this is also assuming you've taken the step to get training with that knife too. A knife is a great defensive and offensive tool. It's even better when the user knows HOW and WHEN to use it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links