Defensive Carry banner

What Knife Should I Carry With My Glock

6K views 48 replies 46 participants last post by  crzy4guns 
#1 ·
I am just starting to carry and am feeling the need to also have on my person a knife to use in the event something should come up where another avenue needs to be taken. I will be carrying my Glock in a IWB. My dress is usually dress slacks and ocassionally I need to wear a suit or sports coat from time to time, etc.

What direction should I go for a solid, reliable knife? The state I am in allows me to carry a blade up to 3.9 inches.

Thanks for your help.

#2 ·
Well... there are a lot of options. Dont fall into the all show and no go types. Stay away from those with tough sounding names too. They give them those names to cover up the trash they sell to you.

A good reasonable knife is Spyderco. I've bought one from the advice here, its a good knife. I'm partial to Benchmades though, but they are a bit spendy.

#23 ·
Good advice.
It's also good to avoid the mall-ninja "tactical" knives. The MOD knives and such may look really cool, but they tend to be expensive, and I wouldn't want to have to defend myself and then answer for it if I had used a "Devastator 2000 Ultra-Penetrator with the Ripper extension"...

Spyderco makes a few knives that, based on their design and the strength of their lock, they certify as combat bladecraft knives (or some similar term). Among those are the Manix and the Chinook. Not sure, but the Gunting might also be one. (I have a Gunting, and it's built like a tank!)

Be careful about the idea of having a knife for defense. I'm not trained at knife fighting, and I sympathize with the desire to have a knife because you don't have to be a knife-fighting genius to stick someone in a pinch; but knife fighting is serious stuff and if you're in a fight with someone else and you both have knives, you're probably both getting hurt. But in any event, just about any knife will work for a desperate knife fight, as long as it can be deployed quickly enough.

#3 ·
I am partial to Kershaw, Benchmade and Gerber. Lots of options to chose from , as well as many other good brands. Maybe pick a few you like then ask if anyone carries it?

#4 ·
I'm no knife expert, but the one knife I have never been without for the last four years has been my little Kershaw.

The thing has done so much for me and it's beat up, but it still works like a champ. Even when I don't have my Ka-Bar on me, I always have my Kershaw Chive.

#5 ·
I have two Kershaw, Ken Onion, assissted openers...always have one of them on me...sometimes both!

Stay armed...stay safe!

#6 ·
take a look at either the Spyderco Endura or Delica with the wave feature. Good dependable knives for a price that won't break the bank.

Benchmade, Cold Steel, CRKT, and some Kershaws are great also.

My advice is to stay away from liner-locks.

#9 ·
In Florida with a CCL switchblades are legal, so I almost always carry a 4- inch Benchmade switchblade, clipped in my front strong side pocket. When I’m dress in dress slacks, I carry a small 2.5 inch razor sharp Kershaw one finger flick open in my pocket. We travel a bunch and when out of state, I carry a 3 ½ inch Kershaw assist open instead of the Benchmade.

I’ve carried a knife since I was a young kid, and really consider it a tool, instead of a weapon.

#17 ·
I prefer Benchmade - My first one I had for 10 years before I decided to retire it and get a new one. Still nothing wrong with it - just would hate to lose it somehow. So I got a couple new Benchmades. I've handled the Kershaws and they are pretty nice - but I don't want one. The CRKTs that I've seen were pretty cheaply made. Spyderco's are good knives - just don't work as well in my hands. JMO

Austin

#19 ·
Check out the SOG Trident. It's a spring assisted opening folder that is easily opened with either hand. Lots of blade options, too, and it's price (about 65 bucks on ebay) keeps your wallet happy. Comes with a nice sharp edge, too, and has a reversible pocket clip, along with a couple other nice features. I think it's a well thought out design.

#24 ·
What direction should I go for a solid, reliable knife? The state I am in allows me to carry a blade up to 3.9 inches.
I have always carried a legal knife since I was a boy. I find it surprising that so few men (or women) carry a knife. Now I have become a knife snob and own many of the popular name brand knives.

That being said, most knives that I see these days, including the cheap ones are rather good quality. In my life time I have only seen a few knives that actually were worn out.

Some of my favorite knives (not listed in order of quality, price, or desirability):

Spyderco
SOG
CRKT
Kershaw
Puma
Buck
Victorinex
Leatherman
Case

Also, there are a lot of made in China knock offs that are pretty damned good. Unless you are seeking to impress someone, buy what you like and what you can afford, and don't worry about what others think. However, do inspect the knife, and make sure that it functions well and that it is a legal carry knife.

#25 ·
''Outa the box'' on this one--
spyderco matriarch --
excellent and fairly intuitive self defense knife 3 1/2 inch blade

Its big brother the civilian works too.

These bad boys don't cut cheese or salami or open letters or boxes very well. But they shine H2H...with some relevant training they are fantastic.

#28 ·
I'm a fan of:

Spyderco
Cold Steel
CRKT

Currently I usually have a Spyderco waved Endura (bluish handles for Sgt Mac :biggrin2:) and a Cold Steel Ti-lite. The Endura is pretty much my basic utility knife, which will still be good for slashing/stabbing, while the Ti-lite is pretty much a stabber only. Both are non-spring assisted, which is good becuase some places have laws against spring assisted knives, they operate by a part of the blade almost like a hook, that catches on the pocket and opens the blade while it's being removed.

Most of the CRKTs that I've really liked were great filed knives but don't fit in well with civilian attire.

I've heard nothing but good things on Benchmades, but as noted above they are pricey for the relative size.

Probably my favorite knife for EDC has been one Spyderco or another.

#30 ·
Go with the Spyderco brand. I carry two Delicas, one left, one right pocket.

Think about the names of the knives that you may want to carry. I would rather have the prosecutor hold up my (say it in a girly voice) Delica knife rather than a (say this in the deep rambo voice) tactical bloodletter combat killer knife.

i actually had a guy in one of my classes carrying a pink Delica. Imaging being a bad guy and having to deal with that stigma......getting hurt by a little itty bitty pink knife.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.