New EDC blade (with pics)

This is a discussion on New EDC blade (with pics) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After lusting over one since they were introduced, I finally got my hands on one of Spydercos new P'kal folders. To my knowledge, this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New EDC blade (with pics)

New EDC blade (with pics)

After lusting over one since they were introduced, I finally got my hands on one of Spydercos new P'kal folders. To my knowledge, this is the first folder specifically designed for the reverse-edge methodology. This knife is a collaboration between "SouthNarc," a well known self-defense/combatives expert, and Spyderco.

My first impression was that this was a very well designed knife. The G-10 handle scales along with a deep choil for the finger make for a rock-solid grip and the ergonomics of the handle are very good in either forward or reverse grip. The blade has a very slight "hook" so that when employed as intended (reverse-grip, edge in, or forward-grip, edge up) it will really "bite" into the target. One small detail that I appreciated was that the knife came out of the box razor-sharp. I usually have to sharpen a new knife to get it up to my standards. I was pleased to see there was no need of that with this one.

The knife is "waved" so that the knife will open as it clears the pocket. However, should one prefer a conventional method of opening, the "wave," a piece of bar-stock threaded into the spine of the blade, can be removed. (note: some people have expressed concern that the wave looks a little flimsy, after playing with it a litte, I think these concerns are unfounded. I think you'd probably rip your pocket out before you'd ever break the wave.)

For those familiar with waved folders, I think you'll like this one. After only having it for part of a day I can already say that not only is it much smoother than my Enduras, it is also more consistent than any of the waved knives that I have tried, including the Gen. 4 Enduras and Delicas, the modified Gen. 3's (like the one pictured below), and the Emerson CQC's.
    The lock is what Spyderco calls a Ball Bearing Lock which to me appears to be similar in operation to the Benchmade Axis lock.

I only got it in the mail today but so far, I'm extremely impressed with this knife. It definately meets my expectations based on the reviews I've seen.

technical specs:

OAL: 7 3/8"

Length closed: 4 3/8"

Blade length: 3"

Blade Thickness: 1/8"

Blade Steel: CPM-S30V

Handle Material: G-10

Weight: 3.6 oz.

and some pics...

here we have the knife:

with a Gen. 3 Endura for size comparison:

and a couple to show it in the hand:

For those not familiar with Waved knives or with the reverse-edge methods, take a look at these two video clips. The first one demonstrates the proper deployment of this knife, the second gives a brief overview of the pikal method.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-p4YmUJ4PA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk7B-XXCJY
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    sure it pretty. Good buy if i say so myself.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Very nice !

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

very nice

What’s interesting to me that they are now using CPM (powdered steel) in high chromium for the blades. You will only sharpen this blade with carbide or diamond. Best wearing steel you will find although a bit more susceptible to chipping and rust. just keep it in mind.

I just got me a good deal on a Benchmade but those knives are very nice looking and obviously very high quality. I'd carry one for sure.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

that is a sweet knife. one question: how does handle being held in "normal" postion, or "normal" reverse grip?

Nice knife. I liked those videos, they were very educational for me.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm glad you like it. I got one & felt it was to "single-purpose" for me. Also, I found it better (For only me, of course), to have it blade forward (& down). It's probably a throw-back to my JKD/Kali training (I just prefer using the blade forward technique because I find I can block with it as well as attack). You can actually do the same thing with a waved Delica/Endura (Preferably the newer, smoother Gen 4), as you can put the pocket-clip as if you're left handed & put it in your right front pants pocket (Or reverse the aforementioned if you're left handed). That way you have a great "do anything" knife W/O the SD only looks.

On the plus side of the knife, F&F is excellent. It opens VERY smoothly, the G-10 is nice & grippy W/O being too snaggy on your pants, & the blade is a nice flat-grind. Overall it's a VERY nice knife.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    that is a sweet knife. one question: how does handle being held in "normal" postion, or "normal" reverse grip?
    I don't care for the way it feels if I try to use it the "normal" way...YMMV.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I'm glad you like it. I got one & felt it was to "single-purpose" for me. Also, I found it better (For only me, of course), to have it blade forward (& down). It's probably a throw-back to my JKD/Kali training (I just prefer using the blade forward technique because I find I can block with it as well as attack). You can actually do the same thing with a waved Delica/Endura (Preferably the newer, smoother Gen 4), as you can put the pocket-clip as if you're left handed & put it in your right front pants pocket (Or reverse the aforementioned if you're left handed). That way you have a great "do anything" knife W/O the SD only looks.

On the plus side of the knife, F&F is excellent. It opens VERY smoothly, the G-10 is nice & grippy W/O being too snaggy on your pants, & the blade is a nice flat-grind. Overall it's a VERY nice knife.

Agreed that it is kind of "Task Specific" but I like the Pikal method so I'm cool with that. Before this, I carried a pair enduras, both set up for reverse-grip draw. Now I've got the P'kal and one Endura.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Looks nice! I just purchased a brand new Endura4 as my first wave opener, I absosolutely love it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Agreed that it is kind of "Task Specific" but I like the Pikal method so I'm cool with that. Before this, I carried a pair enduras, both set up for reverse-grip draw. Now I've got the P'kal and one Endura.
    That's a good system! The waved Endura is "normal" looking being that just about everyone knows what they are & then you have the P'Kal for any SD issues. Good idea.

I just got a waved Endura set-up for reverse wave also. I also carry a FB or 2.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    I just got a waved Endura set-up for reverse wave also. I also carry a FB or 2.
    ditto

i've also got a little-bitty swiss-army knife that's for the "hey, does anyone have a knife" moments...don't want to attract too much attention by scarring the

Matt K.

Assistant Administrator
    Looks a formidible tool Matt - when used as designed.

I would certainly be wanting to stay (at least) the famous 21' away from you in a ''situation''

If SouthNarc had influence then I'd say it has to be good.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nice knife.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The P'kal is a great knife. After a few nicks and cuts, I've gotten fairly proficient with it. I just wish they made a trainer model.
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links