Good Knife: CKRT M16-14

This is a discussion on Good Knife: CKRT M16-14 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I have figured out that I need a good knife (read MRE-opener), for my infantry training. At first I bought a Kershaw Vapor from ...

Thread: Good Knife: CKRT M16-14

Well, I have figured out that I need a good knife (read MRE-opener), for my infantry training. At first I bought a Kershaw Vapor from the PX, and its a nice knife I suppose, however the finish doesn't agree with being in the field in deepest darkest North Carolina. It was hard to get a good grip on when it gets wet, and started to show plenty of rust in about a week.

So I ran to Extreme Outfitters (cool place, good staff, check out the site sometime www.extremeoutfitters.us) in Jacksonville in search of a good knife one weekend on liberty, and it just so happened that for Veteran's Day they were having a 20% off everything, and picked up a CKRT M16-14 with the tanto/half serrated blade andaluminum handles, for about 50 bucks. So far it seems to be a well made sturdy knife. The auto-lawks feature is nice for when you need it, and if you don't just don't turn it on. It's quick and easy to open with one hand (not quite as quick as my waved spyderco, but still quick). And plenty sharp right out of the box.

It did better in the field last week under worse weather conditions than the Kershaw did. I'd reccomend it to someone looking for a big folder, it will probably stay as my field pocket knife for a while (read until I lose it or cough up for an Emerson). It and my Leatherman Core make for a nice combo that can accomplish most tasks I've needed them to thus far. Just my 0.02
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The CRTK knives are great knives at a great price, I have a few of their smaller fixed blades that I keep in the truck and tackle box.

Hopefully you were able to watch the Buckeyes send Loyd Carr off right on Saturday where you are stationed.

Just picked up my 1st CRK&W and it is a well built knife. Very smooth, good edge. M16 spear point. Not the most useful knife in the field. But the plan was for something that could penetrate heavy clothing.

Looks like a decent place. Thanks for the link.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have M16-14 SFA and love it. I hear that it is a pain to sharpen, and the locks on some of them break. But other than that, it is an awesome knife for the price. I want to get a Cold Steel Recon 1 to replace it as my defense knife though.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'm not to excited about sharpening the serrated area, will see about it later. The main blade is no prob.
    We'll see how it holds up.

The CRKT m-16 variations are all good knives. I daily carry the smaller profile and I believe it is the fastest deploying of any of my knives, (including spring assists and full auto [on which you have to find the button]). The CRKT m-16 design allows for instant deployment as soon as the knife leaves the pocket. I never use the clip and never worry about tip up, down etc. The smoothness of the opening allows the blade to deploy with a smooth raising of the arm, or a quick snap of the hand, or of course, the flipper. I would prefer an edge that stayed sharp longer, and I do not like the bead-blasted versions due to difficulty in cleaning, but I love my compact M-16's.

i've only had two problems with my CRKT knives. in order from most severe to least they are 1 they keep disapearing on my 2 they tend to pickup light rust rather quickly(especialy in a feild environment) not too severe realy aside from problem 1 but still annoying.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Bobcat, I actually haven't had any rust problems on mine yet, and its just stainless without a coating. And currently I'm stationed in Hawaii where it rains about every day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My unit issued those knives to us prior to heading to Iraq. Great knives. They hold a good edge. Still carry it everyday.

I've had some rust show up on it, but I hit it with a brush and some CLP and it's good as new.

Extreme Outfitters is a good store. My friend's wife is the manager there, and they will take care of customers.
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

VIP Member
    I've been carrying an M16-14T (titanium in there somewhere) for about 3 years now. Great knife - big, but not too big, very quick to open, light for its size, and slim for pocket carry. It has picked up a tiny bit of rust, mostly on the locking lever (which is more of a hassle to clean) but nothing major at all. It will be in my pocket when I go back to the sandbox in a few months...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

GREAT KNIVES !!!!!!!! I have a half of dozen of them w/different blades . I wouldn't carry anything else . I notice Wally world is carrying a smaller 16 for $19.99 I think ??? Anyhow , great choice .

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a couple of crkt knives , both m16s one is the original full size no tanto , and the other is a half ( or so ) size tanto blade , both with half serrations . I have found them to be rugged , well made , reasonable steel ( read hold an edge better than average ) and extreamly compact for what you get bladesize wise .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've had three CRKT M-16 series knives, and would still have them all except my best friend (on his birthday) admired one - so I gave it to him!

I've had 2 of CRKT's M-16 knives now. My first one was "lost"(stolen) when I was on USS Bataan back in 2003. I bought another one to carry after I was off active duty. They are great knives.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Links