Help me find a knife.

Help me find a knife.

This is a discussion on Help me find a knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's what I'm looking for. A High Quality, yet affordable (<$100), rescue type folding knife. I require a good hard blade, nothing fancy, but great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a knife.

Help me find a knife.

Here's what I'm looking for. A High Quality, yet affordable (<$100), rescue type folding knife. I require a good hard blade, nothing fancy, but great for unity. A belt cutter and a glass breaker.

Pitcher yourself hanging by a seat belt upside down in a burning car, what knife would you like to have on your web gear?
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

VIP Member
    Let me recomend a Kershaw Leek. I love mine and you can find them on Ebay for less than $40.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If you want a sheepsfoot type rescue blade, check out the Spyderco rescue or rescue junior. They should be what you are looking for.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    While a PE knife can cut seatbelts, it's typically going to be easier with serrated edge, so any SE or CE knife will do.

For a knife with a glass breaker, Boker has come out with a smaller version of their Jim Wagner knife, which has a built in glassbreaker on the pommel or a pen-like pocket clip.

If you want an inexpensive, but small & dedicated seatbelt cutter, I'd recommend a Boker Rescom. It has a steeply inward curved blade with serrations in between that & the handle. It's a frame lock, too, so it's pretty strong & small enough to be clipped anywhere. It can be set-up for tip up or down carry.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Let me recomend a Kershaw Leek. I love mine and you can find them on Ebay for less than $40.
    Looks like you can get it new for $40 at Knife Works looks like a nice blade. I have had a BlackHorse II for about ten years carry it ever day use it for every thing skinning, hacking at small branches, cutting wire whatever needs cutting and still holds an razor edge forever. I like the co-polymer handle (feels like rubber) lets me keep a solid grip wet or dry. The 3 3/4inch blade is long enough for SD if needed though I have another knife for that. Kershaw makes a good soid daily use knife no doubt about it. Now if you want a sweet top quality blade take a look at Mercworx Knives a bit more but you won't find a better knife at any price IMO
    Last edited by LongRider; November 22nd, 2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Better Merc Worx link
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Tool

If you are looking for a reliable seatbelt cutter and glass breaker, try this little thing. They work great, every cop around herre has them, I have one in my fire gear, and I bought one for everyone in my family and several friends. Use the rest of the money you save to buy a folder you like.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=FE388

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    If you are looking for a reliable seatbelt cutter and glass breaker, try this little thing.
    Thats a sweet lil tool. Great reviews. Got two stinking shipping costs about as much as the tool

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If ordering the Galls item read this---

I ordered 2 of these and they will ding you an extra 20 bucks or so if you order by phone instead of I net. Their site was cranky so I called and they wanted $42 for 2 and shipping ... after I mentioned the site the price was dropped to $22 or so for 2.

Even tho I have Rescue knives, belt cutters, window breakers and trauma shears (great for belts and other med issues) in each vehicles , I ordered one for each of our key chains
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

This outfit is my first choice when buying a knife. Great prices and service. I only go elsewhere if they do not have what I am looking for.

http://www.newgraham.com/

Benchmade has several Emergency Rescue knives designed specifically for what you are describing.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7331

Spyderco also has some sheepfoot designs that would work and give you normal knife cutting function.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7407

VIP Member
    My EDC is this one...

SOG Spec-Elite II
    With a 5" blade that will open one handed with the flick of the wrist!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Long before I considered carrying concealed I bought my first Spyderco. It was a larger model, I forget the name, about 7" opened.
    Just carrying that knife was a level of security I hadn't known before. From there i went with a much smaller stainless Spyderco. The clip on that knife I use as a money clip and carry it everyday. I prefer serrated blades and there is nothing those knives won't slice through if properly cared for.

I'm still working on what knife I want. It's not an easy choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My EDC is this one...

SOG Spec-Elite II
    With a 5" blade that will open one handed with the flick of the wrist!
    I second the SOG, I carry a SOG trident with the built in cutter in the handle. It works like a charm. Plus the blad can lock into the handle when folded to keep from accidental openings--which happened with one of my dad's knives in my sisters car which then had to be reupholstered! Great blades that stay sharp and can take some serious abuse.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Was looking to get this for Xmas as this as my dress up carry knife

But it looks like MerkWorx has come out with a new one I need to add to my collection.

"The blade is cut from CPM 154 or S30V steel and then hand ground with the traditional Mercworx recurve. It also has a slight recurve on the top of the blade to further extend the cutting surface of the knife. The blade is hollow ground for a cleaner cutting and longer lasting edge. With a slightly leaner profile and handle, the fit and speed of the Proeliator are the focal points for this imposing fixed blade.

Designed for extreme heavy-duty use, this is about as tough as a combat knife can get. Engineered for maximum chopping and thrusting strength. The ultimate survival-tool, bred specifically for the harshest survival challenge imaginable. The PROELIATOR is another MercWorx “truly one the best of knives, for the worst of times”.

Dimensions: 14 1/2" x 2 1/2"
    Blade length: 9 1/4"

• Handcrafted in the USA
    • CPM 154 or S30V
    • RC 58
    • Cyrogenically Treated
    • OD Green Micarta “Chili” Handle"

Does not say but if it is like my Equatorian it is 1/4 thick, which makes it a wicked weapon So now I have to make a decision quick. Already decided I wanted a new knife more than another gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links