3 to 4 inch knife

This is a discussion on 3 to 4 inch knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daily carry is a simple 3" CRKT BULL: http://www.crkt.com/bull.html Not the most tacticool, but you can get one for $30 (25 if you look ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 to 4 inch knife

My daily carry is a simple 3" CRKT BULL: http://www.crkt.com/bull.html

Not the most tacticool, but you can get one for $30 (25 if you look around) and it does everything I've ever needed it to. Easy to open, and plenty sharp.

The next folder I buy will probably be the Kershaw Ken Onion Assisted Opener, which looks and feels wonderful.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Kershaw's Ken Onion Assisted Opener
    Ditto.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=86

Knives are like guns in that everyone has a favorite. I sure like my Kershaw Ken Onion Blur Assisted Opener.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Kershaw's Ken Onion Assisted Opener...I have two of them...

OMO

Stay armed...stay sharp...stay safe!
    Should read...Kershaw's Ken Onion "LEEK" Assisted Opener
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I am looking fo something in the three to four inch range that is something I can carry. Price 50 t0 100 dollars. Any reccommendations? Thanks.
    Some of my favorites which I own (not necessarily list in order of preference) are:

CRKT
    Buck
    Spyderco
    SOG
    Victorinex

Also, there are a lot of great knives in the $20-$50 range marketed under popular names such as Gerber, Smith & Wesson, and Browning. I have never worn any of my knives out, because I lose them first anyway. If you want name dropper or vanity knives you can go way above $100. However, I find little difference in performance.

I carry an Emerson Mini Commander that I got on ebay for under $100. The WAVE feature makes it a great carry knife that beats all others in rapid deployment.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Kershaw Avalanche partially serrated with G10 handle. The assisted opening is just a terrific option. I also have a SOG Flash II but IMO it's not the knife that the Kershaw is. (That safety on there is the worst idea ever). I used to think that my Cold Steel Voyagers were the best but the assisted opening Kershaws are just too great.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I also have a SOG Flash II but IMO it's not the knife that the Kershaw is. (That safety on there is the worst idea ever).
    I also once believed that the SOG safety on my knife was a bad idea -- that is until it opened in my pocket.

Now I am beginning to wonder about my handguns which have no safety.

cwblanco... haven't been "fortunate" enough to have it open like that in the last couple of years. ha! That could be pretty exciting I bet. I'll try to block that out of my mind now. ha!

try the sog flash 2, about 45.00-60.00

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...rocess=default
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I carry the CRKT M-16 (small version). It is light (the larger one is a bit heavy and really not that much gained in length) and very, very easy to open with either hand and yet not a switchblade. It has a thumb stud, but that really just serves as a stop. The knife works wonderfully by using the 'flipper', but, with practice, there is even a better way: smoothly yet quickly draw from pocket while grasping it mid-point of handle and continue to raise arm. The blade simply snaps into place. Emphasis on smooth. This also works for the AG Russell zytel handed one-hand knife. In fact the Russell has a little spot for thumb placement. The Russell only weighs 1.1 oz with a 3 inch blade, and it is very slim (but no clip).

Administrator
    If a 4" blade is legal in your area - I'd buy a 4"
    Just my personal preference that all other things being equal regarding knives 4" is better than 3" because it gives you 1 extra inch of reach and penetration.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If a 4" blade is legal in your area - I'd buy a 4"
    Just my personal preference that all other things being equal regarding knives 4" is better than 3" because it gives you 1 extra inch of reach and penetration.
    So true. Try to carry the largest blade you can. I recently picked up a Benchmade 710 in D2. It surprised me, & now I now why many Benchmade lovers say this is their favorite model. It's just under 5" closed & the blade is just under 4", but it carries like a smaller knife. It's less intrusive, why reaching into my pocket with it clipped in it, than my Spyderco Delica 4 waved (3" blade).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Just do what I did...

Last Sunday I was helping my Dad clean the garage when I found what seemed like a chunck of solid gold. A Benchmade 905 with C10 grips and titanium locker and tanto blade.

The best things in life are free.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Ditto.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=86

Knives are like guns in that everyone has a favorite. I sure like my Kershaw Ken Onion Blur Assisted Opener.
    I'm dittoing the ditto of the ditto.

Seriously...my kershaw rocks!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links