Interesting "New" toy....

This is a discussion on Interesting "New" toy.... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not exactly new; it's been out there for 20 years now, but I traded a Microtech UTX-70 for a Crawford Survival Staff last week. Just ...

Thread: Interesting "New" toy....

Interesting "New" toy....

Not exactly new; it's been out there for 20 years now, but I traded a Microtech UTX-70 for a Crawford Survival Staff last week. Just a few random thoughts.
    1)Beastly. Thick-walled, anodized aluminum tubing. Only about 1" in diameter, so it's light enough to get some serious momentum into a swing. Definitely strong enough to pop a car window, either in a wide swing, with the body, or "lancing" with the steel walking tip.

2) Speaking of lances; it contains a modified Devil Dart (s/s) in the body, that can be screwed into the endcap, and mounted either on the assembled body (a reach of +/- 10', with an arm-thrust), on the blow-gun/cane tube (reach about 6'), or as a stand-alone rapier-style weapon. Crawford sells a quick-release mount so that the "dagger" can be drawn with the push of a button. A 3 prong fish/frog gig is available, as is a modified archery-fishing point.

3) A steel end cap is optional, for added weight, as is a Y-shaped rifle rest (aka:mono-pod), T cane-handle, and anything else you can develop a screw-mount for, on your own.

None of this is new, BUT: the darts (I discovered) are the same as the ones used by Cold Steel, in their Big-Bore Blowgun line. $8.99/50, instead of the $8/12 from Crawford knives. I haven't been able to check, but I believe that the stainless steel City Stick(also CS) cane head is the same thread pitch as the Crawford accessories, so (maybe) even a little more versatility is possible.

I've pondered one for a long time; now I wish I'd bought one sooner. This is a cool, low-profile addition to your BOB/alternative-weapons package. I'm planning to try and take a couple of squirrels (I need to find out when the "season" is! ), so I'll update with the hopeful success with blow-gun hunting.
    Last edited by QKShooter; July 18th, 2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: ADD PHOTO

2. Remove Ads

Where are the Pics or a link

Administrator

Thumbs up Bud...Other Members. Here Is The Site Link.

LINK TO CRAWFORD STAFF PAGE

Neat Item..............

Intersting

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    That is a neat item at that.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

VIP Member
    Those darts look like fun. And then you can go to an exotic pet store, buy some poison dart frogs, rub them all over your darts, and go tribal.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Good Betty

Or Curare for those darts!

Main Entry: cu·ra·re
    Variant(s): also cu.ra.ri /kyu-'rär-E, ku-/
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Portuguese & Spanish curare, from Carib kurari
    Date: 1777
    : a dried aqueous extract especially of a vine (as Strychnos toxifera of the family Loganiaceae or Chondodendron tomentosum of the family Menispermaceae) used by So. American Indians to poison arrow tips and in medicine to produce muscular relaxation

Dayak Blowgun Poison Darts
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That's pretty cool (******, another toy just got added to the neverending list )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sorry, head cold had me a bit spacey yesterday, so I didn't link anything. About the darts, yeah, CS sells some long bamboo shafts that would seem to be perfect. I've farted around with the itty-bitty .40 cal darts for years, but these .65's hit like friggin' bricks. So far, accuracy isn't great, since they weigh quite a bit more, but practice, they say......

The blowgun is mostly a "toy" application to me (although if interstate trucking was stopped for some reason, and WallyWorld was bare, the local squirrel population could be quietly diminished), what I really liked was the cane/staff- this is really an ASP baton carried in plain sight.

Links