What is a weapon?

What is a weapon?

This is a discussion on What is a weapon? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going into a hospital today do some work, and the same sign I pass by every time made me stop, and think. It ...

What is a weapon?

I was going into a hospital today do some work, and the same sign I pass by every time made me stop, and think. It had a picture of a revolver in a circle with a slash through it, and under it said no weapons are permitted.

Some time back I was going into the court house to do some work, and as I set my bag of tools on the counter. The local PD officer, with a straight face, asked me if I had any weapons. I was thinking to my self what do you think! Screw drivers, whole saw pliers, and alike.

In the hands of a skilled person most any thing could be a weapon. Pen, keys etc.

Look at the airlines, they let knitting needles metal or wood on. I should get a set of metal ones, and have my wife put them in her knitting bag when we fly. Just in case.

Granted most every thing but a gun is an up close, and personal weapon. But the lethality is still very real.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I agree. Hell, if I punch you in the face, I just used my fist as a weapon...maybe I should leave those at the door...

Sitting in a South Georgia courtroom, awaiting the verdict in the trial of three men who had assaulted my aged parents in a home invasion, the DA's secretary told me that if there was any ensuing trouble in the gallery, I could have one of her high heels! Although it struck me as pretty funny, at a time when some comic relief was welcome, she was quite serious...and she looked like she could do some damage with them, the only "weapon" available to us.

Everything in the hand is a tool, everything in the brain is a weapon.

VIP Member
    I have often wanted to tell someone in charge of a business that their “No Weapons” signs prevent anyone from entering, after all everyone has the oldest weapons known to man, their hands and feet.

Legally....a weapon is as defined by the state and local regions.

Of course in reality this is somewhat arbitrary. But either way we should all try to obey the law even if we disagree with it.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    Look at the airlines, they let knitting needles metal or wood on. I should get a set of metal ones, and have my wife put them in her knitting bag when we fly. Just in case.
    Heck, next time I fly, I'll make a point of bringing my own knitting needles. I do know how to knit!

I'd love to see them stop me, challenge me, and then I can make a case out of the fact that I'm being "profiled" and discriminated against on the basis of my gender (male), because they think I must not know how to knit since I'm a guy.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post
    Legally....a weapon is as defined by the state and local regions.

Of course in reality this is somewhat arbitrary. But either way we should all try to obey the law even if we disagree with it.
    Wise statesmen have admonished us to do just the opposite.

Why should we obey bad laws? Can you make a case for that? I'd like to read it.

dont understand why people freck out over hearing that a crime was committed
    with a gun by the bg. a pen or pencil can have the same final effect.(as posted
    before,det. man stabbed in head with screwdriver) you just never know how
    your day may go. sad but true.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Well, PJ, the reason we obey bad laws is because we are a NATION of laws. If we allow each person to choose what laws they think are good and what laws they think are bad, then we in fact have no laws at all...

Our country has many options for changing laws that you disagree with without resorting to anarchy. Moving is one option, if it is a state/local law you don't like. Voting is another. Organizing groups who agree with you to vote is another. Petitioning the courts is yet another. And, finally, you can propose your ideas to the voting public and get yourself elected into a position where you, yourself, can change the laws. Breaking a law because we, as individuals, don't believe in it is a BAD IDEA, in general...even if I do get those same feelings of frustration sometimes.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Unless it’s a government building, I don’t pay any attention to signs stating “no weapons”. Figure if I have to use my sidearm, the last question the investigating officer is going to ask me is where I got the gun. And I am very good at carrying concealed.

As to your question regarding what is a weapon, you’ll need to read your states laws. However, anyone trained in how to use there hands and feet will tell you that the sidearm is just one of the choices, they have to defeat an aggressor.

Links