Arkansas and knife carry

This is a discussion on Arkansas and knife carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just found out that in February, the Arkansas legislature repealed the part of the law that identified a maximum blade length for knife carry. ...

Thread: Arkansas and knife carry

Arkansas and knife carry

I just found out that in February, the Arkansas legislature repealed the part of the law that identified a maximum blade length for knife carry. Last night I tried going through the law to understand what that means for knife carry now. It looks like it is still illegal to carry a knife as a weapon in the state. There is no concealed knife license (for those that don't know, Arkansas issues a Concealed Handgun License so it only covers handguns).

Before I had my CHL I carried the same knife I carried in California, figuring it had to be legal in Arkansas too! When I took the class I found out that my knife was slightly over the limit and was assumed to be carried as a weapon until I proved otherwise. So I stopped carrying that one and bought a smaller knife to avoid trouble.

So now my question: since they repealed the length limit does anyone know if this changes the carry dynamic? I'm thinking about going back to my slightly longer folding knife. Now that I found this out, I've even thought about buying one of the Ka-Bar TDI knives that are fixed blade designed for law enforcement.

What do you think? I know we have a few instructors on this board from Arkansas, can you shed some light on this change?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

The way I interpet the new law is that the knife is considered a tool until you actually use it to threatin or harm someone, then at that point that tool becomes a weapon. The below is cut and pasted from www.knifelawsonline.com

09-FEB-2007 -- The Arkansas legislature has repealed Sec. 5-73-121 of the Arkansas Code pertaining to the offense of carrying a knife as a weapon. Prior to its repeal, Sec. 5-73-121 had imposed a three and a half inch blade length limit on knife carry, and knives carried with blades over the specified length were presumed to be weapons under the statute.

With the repeal of Sec. 5-71-121, implemented as Act 83 of 2007, Arkansas no longer has a statutory blade length limit for knife carry.

Senior Moderator
    It has been my personal experience, that if you have a CHL, you will not be harrased for carrying a pocket knife.

It didnt make sense for someone to carry a concealed handgun and be limited to the 3 and half inches on a knife, when many of the better blades seem to be stuck on 4 inches.

A a Deputy, most of the CHL holders that I encounter have a knife clipped in their pocket. Not one time was I ever concerned about the length of their blade nor did I even inquire about it...I mean, whats the point?

In fact, the only time I even knew of anyone being harrassed for over the limit knives were ex felons . parolees or someone with a lengthy history that was up to no good. I do know a of a few cases where an over the limit blade resulted in a ""felon with a weapon" charge.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 99ARTaco View Post
    With the repeal of Sec. 5-71-121, implemented as Act 83 of 2007, Arkansas no longer has a statutory blade length limit for knife carry.
    So that means that the old fashioned traditional "Arkansas toochpick" is again legal.

knife purpose?

I guess the real argument is that if you feel threatened, you pull your concealed handgun and use it. The knife is a tool and maybe you might be able to use it if the gun malfunctions or goes dry, but in that case, if your facing another gun, you may be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    I guess the real argument is that if you feel threatened, you pull your concealed handgun and use it. The knife is a tool and maybe you might be able to use it if the gun malfunctions or goes dry, but in that case, if your facing another gun, you may be in trouble.
    My Dad tells a story about bayonet training in boot camp. They were told that if the bayonet gets stuck you can pull the trigger and the recoil would dislodge the bayonet. Someone raised their hand and said "If there was a round left in my rifle, I'm not going to be using the bayonet!". I agree, if I have to go to my knife then I am in trouble even if it's not a gun I'm facing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    My Dad tells a story about bayonet training in boot camp. They were told that if the bayonet gets stuck you can pull the trigger and the recoil would dislodge the bayonet. Someone raised their hand and said "If there was a round left in my rifle, I'm not going to be using the bayonet!". I agree, if I have to go to my knife then I am in trouble even if it's not a gun I'm facing!
    In any event if you cannot extract a bayonet with you foot pressed against the chest and pulling, recoil is not going to accomplish anything.

That tale must have been told by a Navy boot camp instructor rather than a Marine.

Links