since we are talking sticks...

This is a discussion on since we are talking sticks... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.canemasters.com/...

Thread: since we are talking sticks...

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar

since we are talking sticks...

Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Stick Fighting

Deadly weapon in skilled hands.
    Great link.
    I can see some real benefit to learning at least some very basic cane fighting.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I was in the office a few weeks ago, and one of the other detectives joked about getting a cane. I responded with the link, which he quicly accessed. He then told me that he wasn't sure to be scared or impressed that I knew it. :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

They have some good quality canes, however, when looking for techniques I think you'd be better off getting a copy of Get Tough (W.E. Fairbairn) or Cold Steel (John Styers) and working their stick/club/cane material rather than trying the stuff the CM site shows.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

To early to consider a cane. Unless you are old and decrepit looking in the USA, they are out of place. Just not part of our culture like Britain. Besides every one on the street that sees a cain knows right way that they scream "CAIN!" (fanny pack joke :))

DogBrothersStickFighting

Check out some of the sample clips. The techiniques used for their stick fighting can also be applied to canes, umbrellas, skinny people .
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Them boyz is nuts!

This link is to a thread at one of the other forums that I frequent. There's some good discussion as well as a lot of pics from the stick-fighting sections of various combatives manuals. Good stuff.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    Just not part of our culture like Britain.
    Unless things have changed quite a bit since I left 12 years ago, the Brits don't use canes as fashion accessories any more. They went out with top hats

Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    when looking for techniques I think you'd be better off getting a copy of Get Tough (W.E. Fairbairn) or Cold Steel (John Styers) and working their stick/club/cane material rather than trying the stuff the CM site shows
    I would also add the small segment in the Jim Grover Combatives tapes on use of the short stick. He also has a full tape on the collapsible batton, but I haven't seen that one.

I just got the 'Le Canne' video from Paladin by Craig Gemeiner, but I have not had chance to study it in detail yet.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    Them boyz is nuts!
    You've got that right! What's the point in self-defense training if you're going to get maimed along the way?

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    Heck - some mighty large weals on arms etc - then the guy with his head all bloody - and they say broken bones too - sheesh. Training is always good but - to THIS level! Oh my - count me out - anyways way too old for that caper!!

Much as I think I'll get a nice cane at some point that stick fighting, well - my stick will remain short, made of steel and deliver a small present from it's subtle orifice - if required!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I personally own and previously made a thread for the WA-1 stick. Matter of fact I have 5 of them. I keep one in the car, one by my front door, one by my pistol safe, one in my bathroom and one hidden in my living room. For $10 a pop they're honestly as effective as anything else, just not as nice.

Unfortunately it seems like old Newt has gone under or I'd link to the order page. I'm glad I got mine when the getting was good.

In the absence of the WA-1 stick I would use a Goose Thumper. The Goose Thumper is very complex and detailed to construct.

#1. Get a fiberglass axe handle and a hacksaw with a new blade.

#2. Shorten axe handle slightly. File off a little bit, smooth it out.

#3. Wrap something around handle for a grip.

The resulting contraption doesn't have too many moving parts and should break bones easily enough. It will also cost you about $11 for a handle and $2 for a new hacksaw blade if you need one... well and maybe $6 or so for something to wrap the handle with.

Edit: The old thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...highlight=WA-1

Assistant Administrator
    Goose Thumper
    LOL - gives a whole new meaning to gettin' ''goosed''

Can't look much a cane tho! ................. Can it?!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

No that it does not. But honestly who among us can get away with carrying a cane around? People would think I was nuts.

I think I speak for a lot of people who appreciate the craftsmanship and effectiveness of a fighting cane, but just don't find their superior aesthetics worth the price tag when there's cost effective alternatives that will work for our purposes.

The WA-1 stick is easy to hide. I've carried one in the back seat of my Bronco for over a year. Someone asked me once what it was for, and I just told them I carried it when I walked in case a dog bothered me. It wasn't a lie..

These are nice sticks, but I fear they will be hard to get because Newt has gone out of business as of last month.

Links